Juwan Howard, Isaiah Livers engage in verbal confrontation as Michigan struggles against Oakland

Mrwiregrass

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

I posted this article for a reason. Because TSU/Bama brought up a point about black coaches.

The same player would never argue with a Coach K, Tom Izzo, Jim Calipari, or Nick Saban. Because, some of us have been raised to never question white people, or question their authority (i.e. on the job).

I disagree. I've seen several instances of players arguing with Coach Cal. Examples include Demarcus Cousins and Isaiah Briscoe.

I posted this article for a reason. Because TSU/Bama brought up a point about black coaches.

The same player would never argue with a Coach K, Tom Izzo, Jim Calipari, or Nick Saban. Because, some of us have been raised to never question white people, or question their authority (i.e. on the job).
Or it could be argued, that Howard (to his credit) allows his players to (at times) express themselves to the coaches without fear of blowback or being kicked off the team.

I'm also going to call BS on the thought that black players do not question white coaches or their authority. That ain't true by any means.

People have bad days, players as well as coaches. This happens....
I agree. People do have bad days. Players as well as coaches. Things like this do happen. But to say "much to do about nothing". That is what I disagree with. What if some of his teammates began to react to Coach Howard the same way?

I agree. People do have bad days. Players as well as coaches. Things like this do happen. But to say "much to do about nothing". That is what I disagree with. What if some of his teammates began to react to Coach Howard the same way?
I'm speaking of my own personal experiences in huddles, practices and games. This happens all the time. Not once did it change the trajectory of our program. And im talking about the 80's when coaches didnt play with you!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Ive always said that Blacks players respect white coaches more.... I have no idea why.... but a white man coaching an all Black team in any sport usually gets results.
lol - on the high school level - especially in a small town or a winning program. When you win people will adapt quickly - building a program people don't want to be patient. In Texas, its hard for blacks to get a successful suburban program where there are numbers. But we'll line up to play at those schools even if the coaching staff is a throwback to the 50s cause they win. When those 50s type coaches leave they know there's a talent drop coming down the pipeline and then they'll hand it over to us and now you're stuck with disgruntled parents used to how it was in the past who never said anything

But they'll fear a brotha if he comes from a successful urban program where he can be himself - but that's mainly basketball or inner city Miami schools that play football

I guess you forgot about Latrell Sprewell and PJ Carlisimo.

It varies by program and school.
A school like Rent a Player University (Kentucky) Cal is not going to mind Cousins going off on him. Cal is NOT going anywhere. Cousins is. Same at Duke and other places. Because guys like Cousins can be replaced with talent.

That is Michigan-lets see how respected Howard is. If he has zero issue getting talent Livers will be gone. Because Michigan does not have issues getting talent. Now Vanderbilt-Stackhouse might not last if players did that to him.

Ive always said that Blacks players respect white coaches more.... I have no idea why.... but a white man coaching an all Black team in any sport usually gets results.

Well how many white guys who NEVER played have waltz into a coaching gig and won versus black ones who have?
Brad Stevens say HI.

Then you have cases where a black coach did better than the white ones. See North Texas Basketball. Before recently all their post season came under black men. Texas A&M Melvin Watkins tossed out NBA players.

Back