JSU's Greg Johnson named HC at Langston again?

Langston hires football coach
2003-12-18
By Bob Colon
The Oklahoman

LANGSTON -- Greg Johnson, who coached football at Langston University six seasons in the 1990s, has been hired to coach the Lions again.
Johnson, 43, succeeds Harold Johnson, who coached Langston to back-to-back 2-8 seasons and was fired earlier this month.
Langston was 35-30 under Greg Johnson from 1991 to 1996. His 1993 team went 9-3 -- the first winning season in 20 years -- and the 1994 team was 10-3 and lost to eventual NAIA champion Northeastern State 3-0 in the semifinals.
Greg Johnson is a Watonga native and graduate of Northwestern Oklahoma State. Since leaving Langston in early 1997, he coached at Prairie View, Middle Georgia College and Hearne (Texas) High School. Hemost recently was defensive coordinator at Jackson State.
Langston president Ernest Holloway said candidates who had applied two years ago were considered again, and Greg Johnson came from that group.
"I feel so good about this hiring," Holloway said. "I am more convinced now he is the right person. He has to hit the ground running. He left here in good standing and brings in even more experience now. We had contacts from all over the country and wanted to get this done before Christmas."
The new coach was introduced to players Wednesday afternoon.
"I met with the players, and they were very receptive," Johnson said. "I'm excited about the new stadium and going to NCAA Division II. We want to get things going again."
Langston has made application to the NCAA for Division II membership and to the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, a Division II league based in Georgia. Anderson Field is undergoing a $10 million renovation.
It took Langston nearly three months to hire Harold Johnson after Ted Alexander was reassigned after the 2001 season. It took Langston less than two weeks to bring back Greg Johnson.
"I could have stayed at Jackson State for many years," Johnson said, "but this is better for my family. I had no idea where my career was taking me, but all my family is in Oklahoma."

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Langston has made application to the NCAA for Division II membership and to the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, a Division II league based in Georgia. Anderson Field is undergoing a $10 million renovation.

Originally posted by Jafus (Thinker)
Tigerpride,

You boy, (my man) Coach Greg Johnson will be working for an Alpha Man!! Case Closed!! (Smile)

Yeah, but looks like he had to hire a real man to do a real job.

Hey PBLA, what you think about this:

SIAC East
? Clark
? Morehouse
? Ft. Valley
? Albany
? Benedict
? Kentucky State
? Lane College

SIAC West
? Tuskegee
? Miles
? Valley
? UAPB
? Langston
? Stillman

Jafus, help him out with another school to add to the West...Tx College or somebody.. SIAC championship game can be played in Jackson. :D

po TP
trying to run from PB
:smh:

seriously,
the SIAC will stretch from Oklahoma to South Carolina????
:eek:
isn't Edward Waters in it too

Tigerpride,

Yeah, but looks like he had to hire a real man to do a real job.

Smile!!

Hey PBLA, what you think about this:

SIAC East
? Clark
? Morehouse
? Ft. Valley
? Albany
? Benedict
? Kentucky State
? Lane College

SIAC West
? Tuskegee
? Miles
? Valley
? UAPB
? Langston
? Stillman

Jafus, help him out with another school to add to the West...Tx College or somebody.. SIAC championship game can be played in Jackson.

Lincoln. I guess.

-------------------------------------------------------
There are currently 9 members of the SIAC
? Clark-Atlanta
? Morehouse
? Fort Valley State
? Albany State
? Benedict
? Kentucky State
? Lane
? Tuskegee
? Miles

Really it is my understanding that

? Lincoln University
? Langston University
? Central State University
? Stillman College

have all expressed interest in joining the SIAC. If all of the following schools able to join the SIAC, then they still would need at least one more school to even out the conference.

If this a case of the rats fleeing the Titanic?

Did Johnson leave JSU because of the fiacso he experienced this season with new head coach Bell?

I think this is a fair question and not smack. It's seems to me that several top players defected once Bell got there and now the previously-respected DC has left the program too.

Mighty Hornet,

po TP
trying to run from PB

seriously,
the SIAC will stretch from Oklahoma to South Carolina????

isn't Edward Waters in it too

No, Edward-Waters College is not in the SIAC, nor have I scene or read in any form that they have made plans to join. Edward College is currently an NAIA Division I Football Independent and compete as a NAIA Division I in all other sports in the HBCU EIAC (Allen, Barber-Scotia, Claflin, Morris & Voorhees).

Originally posted by Tigerpride
...and we hired him as our Head Coach?????!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :(

Bell is a sigma too!! :smh: Damn Eternal Sphinxman :redhot:

C.C. Poindexter send help :emlaugh:

greg johnson may have realized it was time for him to go! especially with Coach Bell being there! after what happened this year they should have offered Johnson the HC job at JSU..

Originally posted by coldsweat
Bell is a sigma too!! :smh: Damn Eternal Sphinxman :redhot:

C.C. Poindexter send help :emlaugh:

Oh, well....Bell just lost a few points from me. This is "worser" than being 1-9. Had I known this.......:redhot:

Originally posted by bornthrilla
If this a case of the rats fleeing the Titanic?

Did Johnson leave JSU because of the fiacso he experienced this season with new head coach Bell?

I think this is a fair question and not smack. It's seems to me that several top players defected once Bell got there and now the previously-respected DC has left the program too.

Thrilla, how the "L" are we supposed to know????

Also, we only had defensive players to bolt before the season started. SO that could fall on Johnson.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
MH,

We were proud to have Johnson on our staff. We could have promoted him to HC and most JSU fans would have been happy.

But leave me alone!! I am trying to cope with the fact that my HC is a Siiiigg....Owwwwwwwww:bawling:

How do you go from being unusually enamored with a man one minute, then shedding tears the next because you find out that he may or may not be a member of a certain greek lettered organization?

:confused:

Originally posted by AAMU Alum
How do you go from being unusually enamored with a man one minute, then shedding tears the next because you find out that he may or may not be a member of a certain greek lettered organization?

:confused:

Can I just have my MOMENT please....I'll be alright tomorrow. But right now......:bawling:

Jafus,

Actually, there are 11 members in the SIAC though only the members you mentioned play football. The others are:

Paine College (Augusta, GA)
LeMoyne-Owen College (Memphis, TN)

Back