JSUTigers1877

FredDaAce

Spring Ball has been "Entertainment purposes only" at JSU. We normally have a lot of transfers coming in over the summer. Players leaving is a problem at all programs, but we always have transfers coming in that add very little to the program. That interrupts the continuity that we strive towards in Spring Ball.

What I'm hoping to see from Hughes is a more proactive approach to recruiting so that we don't have to go out and sign every player that comes available over the summer. I felt that we recruited reactively under Comegy. OMJ did a pretty good job recruiting last year, filling some needs. But it doesn't matter if you can't get it done on Saturdays.

Storylines aplenty as Jackson State starts spring ball

The stench of one losing season was enough for most of the Jackson State faithful. That scent grew in strength after the Tigers posted their second consecutive losing campaign this past fall.

JSU cleaned out its prior coaching staff in December and
hired then-Mississippi State assistant Tony Hughes to steer the program in the right direction.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/...ty-jackson-state-starts-spring-ball/82047428/

I think it would be wise to redshirt Adams, unless he comes in fall camp and just totally wows the coaching staff. If he does that, then put him as No. 2.

However, redshirting Adams seems like the safer bet. Get him fully into Chad's offensive system and let him loose in 2017.

Question: What will Hendrick do on the defensive side of the ball?

I think it would be wise to redshirt Adams, unless he comes in fall camp and just totally wows the coaching staff. If he does that, then put him as No. 2.

However, redshirting Adams seems like the safer bet. Get him fully into Chad's offensive system and let him loose in 2017.

I'm hoping we redshirt Adams, as well. A lot of fans are calling for him to start because they are tired of L. Ivy, but if you remember, Ivy was a 3-star signee, too. I think Ivy can help us be a good team this year though. We have two other QB's (as of now) who can step in if Ivy goes down, so there's no reason to play Adams unless he comes in guns blazing, like you stated.

When asked, Hendrick really didn't say what kind of defense he was going to have. He said he'll be using the Spring to assess what he has and what these guys can do, and then go from there. He describes his defense as a "mulitple look" defense. In the NFL, that's cool. In BCF, that means you really don't have an identity. But he has had some success at the position, so we'll see.

Hendrick is the DC.

I know that TP ... He's y'all 4th DC in as many years. What you guys think ... will he just keep things simple this first year and then add wrinkles later?

He probably gonna get demoted after 3 games. lol I think one of those younger cats or Hughes will run the defense. I do think he will keep it simple because I think all he knows is simple. Hope I'm wrong tho. The good thing is that overall, I think we have a good defensive staff so they can probably keep him on the right track.

Ivy would be my starting QB going into Spring ball. I agree with Redshirting Adams.

I think Germany will be more balanced and utilize Ivy to his Strengths. That's what I am looking forward to more than anything is the balance on offense and utilizing the weapons we have on that side of the ball.

Defensively, Hendricks said he loves to blitz so we will see.

Ivy would be my starting QB going into Spring ball. I agree with Redshirting Adams.

I think Germany will be more balanced and utilize Ivy to his Strengths. That's what I am looking forward to more than anything is the balance on offense and utilizing the weapons we have on that side of the ball.

Defensively, Hendricks said he loves to blitz so we will see.

...and we gonna get 50 points dropped on us if he does... LOL

Ivy def should be our starter. I think he will be dangerous out of a more ground based attack but of course that depends on the o-line.

...and we gonna get 50 points dropped on us if he does... LOL

Ivy def should be our starter. I think he will be dangerous out of a more ground based attack but of course that depends on the o-line.

Its okay to bring pressure sometimes but not like he is talking about doing it..lol

We need to have a 4-2-5 or 4-3 base defense... 3 DL fronts don't work in the swac as a base defense. We will have to scheme around our best defender in javancy. I think if we can find two guys to replicate his play we'll be able to move him to LB and Hendrick can have fun with his play calling. The positive is that we have 3 1/2 DB coaches that can kind of serve as pass defense coord and let Hendrick and curry focus on the run game. I'm almost certain Hughes will be heavily involved with our defense. Germany will be absolutely fine. In August he'll have two 3* qbs, 1 2* and a stable of wrs and backs.

We need to have a 4-2-5 or 4-3 base defense... 3 DL fronts don't work in the swac as a base defense. We will have to scheme around our best defender in javancy. I think if we can find two guys to replicate his play we'll be able to move him to LB and Hendrick can have fun with his play calling. The positive is that we have 3 1/2 DB coaches that can kind of serve as pass defense coord and let Hendrick and curry focus on the run game. I'm almost certain Hughes will be heavily involved with our defense. Germany will be absolutely fine. In August he'll have two 3* qbs, 1 2* and a stable of wrs and backs.

If I were a DC, it would be fun to move him around just to mess with offenses. Maybe bluff him rushing off the end and drop him into coverage on passing downs sometimes as well.

@Tigerpride Demote dude after three games if he ain't acting right? Damn, y'all shole is cold out there on Lynch Street.

Now I'm scared lol. I see what you are doing coach. JSU will be vastly improved. You cannot help but see it smh.

We are 2-3 years away IMO from being good possible really good we dont have the defense right now and we still havent seen a consistent Ivy. and we have a young 3-Star qb Adams coming in the fall..2 or 3 years from now we will really see Hughes impact..I see he is in building mode....Hughes is a black man with a great plan..thats dangerous..

Last edited:
I'd say 3 years is about right. I can tell by the recruiting class that he's not the "Right here, right now" type of coach that Comegy was, no disrespect to Comegy. He's going to recruit his type of player, develop him and bring him along so that he can be successful down the road. Our last few coaches have always been reactionary (except for Bell, but he was always good at planning, but nothing else). I like how Hughes takes a proactive approach to the program. Now let's see what he can do on Saturday's when the lights come on.

I'd say 3 years is about right. I can tell by the recruiting class that he's not the "Right here, right now" type of coach that Comegy was, no disrespect to Comegy. He's going to recruit his type of player, develop him and bring him along so that he can be successful down the road. Our last few coaches have always been reactionary (except for Bell, but he was always good at planning, but nothing else). I like how Hughes takes a proactive approach to the program. Now let's see what he can do on Saturday's when the lights come on.

But JSU is the SAME "Right here, Right now" school. The only reason Comegy got 8 years is that he won the SWAC in 2007. If not for that, he was gone after 2009. If Hughes thinks he has 3 years, year 4 better be a MONSTER. Big Daddy was the same way. Big Daddy took 4 years to win the SWAC. If he didn't win in 1995, he was out.

We are 2-3 years away IMO from being good possible really good we dont have the defense right now and we still havent seen a consistent Ivy. and we have a young 3-Star qb Adams coming in the fall..2 or 3 years from now we will really see Hughes impact..I see he is in building mode....Hughes is a black man with a great plan..thats dangerous..

It really does not take that long in the SWAC. It took Alcorn 3 years because they started with NOTHING in the talent department. I don't see but 1-2 teams in the SWAC really having more talent than us. . Granted, it would take a miracle for us to win the SWAC this year but he needs to win 7 games. That's about all the honeymoon he will get in Jackson. ..and you know it.. LOL

But JSU is the SAME "Right here, Right now" school. The only reason Comegy got 8 years is that he won the SWAC in 2007. If not for that, he was gone after 2009. If Hughes thinks he has 3 years, year 4 better be a MONSTER. Big Daddy was the same way. Big Daddy took 4 years to win the SWAC. If he didn't win in 1995, he was out.
If Hughes is here at the end of Year 3, it'll be because he's a solid coach. Bell didn't turn the corner in Season 3. OMJ was trending downward so we cut him loose in Year 2. 2009 was a fluke year because Tray Rutland shouldn't have been the starting QB. Woody had ran off 2 QB's who would have played ahead of him, so we had to react and bring in Mosley from La Tech. Neither panned out and we bombed. Then in 2010 we got rid of Woody and brought in Casey T and we were back on track.

It really does not take that long in the SWAC. It took Alcorn 3 years because they started with NOTHING in the talent department. I don't see but 1-2 teams in the SWAC really having more talent than us. . Granted, it would take a miracle for us to win the SWAC this year but he needs to win 7 games. That's about all the honeymoon he will get in Jackson. ..and you know it.. LOL
The SWAC, as a whole, is more competitive than when Hopson came into Alcorn. But I do agree that any good coach at JSU should be in the driver's seat in the SWAC East in 3 years.

Reactions: J C
Back