JSU football stadium study among state budget items

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new stadium might look something like Protective Stadium in Birmingham that seats 45,000.
You Beat me to it!!! LOL! It's Nice and in my opinion if we'll going to build one it should be something like this. Take away 5,000 seats and go with 3 locker rooms instead of 4(?) and we don't need another jumbotron or the largest one in the State...ijs.

Last edited:
I dont think the funding will be an issue BUT I agree. We should have been taking care of Memorial. SUs stadium is older than Memorial but according to all the experts, Memorial is crumbling. It is BUT you know why? We want to to crumble. We could renovate the fugg out of Memorial and keep it moving BUT that ship has sailed.
Yeah...But for now we'll have to be continue to be content with this:

View: https://twitter.com/GoJSUTigersFB/status/1451711347918524419?s=20

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I dont think the funding will be an issue BUT I agree. We should have been taking care of Memorial. SUs stadium is older than Memorial but according to all the experts, Memorial is crumbling. It is BUT you know why? We want to to crumble. We could renovate the fugg out of Memorial and keep it moving BUT that ship has sailed.

Mumford needs some work. It's not crumbling but in my opinion it needs some beautification, paint, seating upgrades.

Memorial was a blessing for jsu especially with the size crowds we can sometimes generate but jsu has waited long enough. Just like every other state institution in Mississippi, there was a stadium built purposefully for there institution and jsu should be no exception. Yes we’ve had some power 5 type atmospheres in memorial but outside of homecoming, alcorn and SU the stadium even at 26k-35k looks half empty. Building a smaller stadium that can adequately accommodate jsu average max attendance which should be around 38k, would give home to an even more hostile atmosphere which in terms will increase season ticket sales especially at the winning trajectory we are currently on. We can just get use to sellout crowds when the new stadium is built. Id rather have a sold out crowd of 40k rather than just having 40k in attendance. I would like to see us go with a 38k-40k venue. Memorial is just to large. It sometimes can kill moral in fans. When we are doing good in attendance at 35k which is great for FCS and good even in FBS, the stadium size make it seem like nobody came to the game. I say a BIG NO to renovating thee vet. With Coach prime at the helm it’s time for us to show the world the type atmosphere we’ve been creating for decades. It’s just that the stadium was so large that it was hard to fully grasp the true atmosphere and I feel a smaller stadium would help us to do just that. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I would like to see us model our new stadium after what Houston University currently has. a 45k seat stadium would be ideal for our fan base.... with the flexibility to annex to 50 k if need be.
Dang I said the same thing when it was being built around the swac championship time in 2013. I told my pops I would love to see jsu stadium similar to the u of h. I just disagree with 45k. I use to want a 45k or 50k but when you look at it from revenue perspective I started looking at the 38k-40k. Those 5000 extra seats could be anywhere between $7.5m - $10m and if you stretch your seating capacity to much then you cut back on all the amenities that most fans would like to have in a new stadium. Ijs lol

Last edited:
Memorial was a blessing for jsu especially with the size crowds we can sometimes generate but jsu has waited long enough. Just like every other state institution in Mississippi, there was a stadium built purposefully for there institution and jsu should be no exception. Yes we’ve had some power 5 type atmospheres in memorial but outside of homecoming, alcorn and SU the stadium even at 26k-35k looks half empty. Building a smaller stadium that can adequately accommodate jsu average max attendance which should be around 38k, would give home to an even more hostile atmosphere which in terms will increase season ticket sales especially at the winning trajectory we are currently on. We can just get use to sellout crowds when the new stadium is built. Id rather have a sold out crowd of 40k rather than just having 40k in attendance. I would like to see us go with a 38k-40k venue. Memorial is just to large. It sometimes can kill moral in fans. When we are doing good in attendance at 35k which is great for FCS and good even in FBS, the stadium size make it seem like nobody came to the game. I say a BIG NO to renovating thee vet. With Coach prime at the helm it’s time for us to show the world the type atmosphere we’ve been creating for decades. It’s just that the stadium was so large that it was hard to fully grasp the true atmosphere and I feel a smaller stadium would help us to do just that. Just my opinion.

Nailed It!!!
Well Done Reaction GIF

The reason that I think that new the stadium should be right at 45,000 is because with the enrollment increasing and the popularity that JSU football has gotten, I expect those attendance numbers to increase beyond what we would normally see. We want to make sure that we can accommodate those those larger numbers even if we don't do that all season.

Our President spoke on it this morning during the alumni meeting. Oh wait, Kool-Aid you can speak for yourself if you still log in.....lol

As I said, sooner than later.

Nobody wants to be at Memorial but me AND it shows.
I want JSU to remain at Vet. 1st Jackson Mississippi needs a stadium that large. Plus, it's easier for me to get to straight from Hwy 25 (personal selfishness).

Selfishly, I want the "new" JSU stadium to become an anchor for economic development for the university community and community at-large. For example, check out Stadium Village at the University of Minnesota.

Stadium size: 40K-50K would be ideal. Still large enough for your larger crowds.

I hope y'all get what y'all have been owed for years.

———

I think the last renovations to Mumford were between 2010-2016 ... can't totally get the dates right. Who knows what'll be next for the stadium. It's still serviceable. But I can see some clamoring for more bells and whistles.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Give me a 37K - 40K seat stadium with enough parking and room for tail-gating. We don't need a 50K stadium as it would affect the overall intimate game day atmosphere we are seeking.

Plus we need to create more of a demand for season ticket holders and the only way to do that is to start with a smaller stadium. Increase demand for the product, which comes with an increase in ticket prices, concessions, parking, etc. and then use that revenue over 10 years or so to build on to the stadium and make continual upgrades. Or you can just invest it in the market for 5-7 years and make a killing and use those proceeds accordingly.

Sounds like y'all are describing downsizing. The thing is, when you downsize you use the proceeds from your old house to pay for the new one. I haven't read any discussion on using revenue from the vet.

Give me a 37K - 40K seat stadium with enough parking and room for tail-gating. We don't need a 50K stadium as it would affect the overall intimate game day atmosphere we are seeking.

Plus we need to create more of a demand for season ticket holders and the only way to do that is to start with a smaller stadium. Increase demand for the product, which comes with an increase in ticket prices, concessions, parking, etc. and then use that revenue over 10 years or so to build on to the stadium and make continual upgrades. Or you can just invest it in the market for 5-7 years and make a killing and use those proceeds accordingly.
I agree totally. Exactly what I said. I needs to utilize our strong points and that’s showcasing our 40k fans filling up our new stadium and showing hbcu’s can have sellout crowds for home games and a rowdy crowd

Talladega has got their field....they will put stands around it next.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211029-210843_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20211029-210843_Facebook.jpg
    781 KB · Views: 13
Sounds like y'all are describing downsizing. The thing is, when you downsize you use the proceeds from your old house to pay for the new one. I haven't read any discussion on using revenue from the vet.
There is no "real" revenue to put into the new stadium if the state is the owner of the current property. At best you get the legislature to allow JSU to choose the contractors for the new stadium and allow some of the dollars to circulate in our community...otherwise UMC gets the current property and people that don't look like me and you get all the contracts (money) for the on-campus stadium. A total win-win for people who have no vested interest in the university. So it will be good if JSU gets some control of the contracts involved...

However, nearly eight years later, no new stadium for the Tigers is in sight, and UMMC’s plans for the near future include renovations and new construction mainly on its main campus.

“It’s not something that’s on our radar,” UMMC spokesman Marc Rolph said, referring to any expansion involving the stadium. “It’s serving a valuable purpose right now.”

There is no "real" revenue to put into the new stadium if the state is the owner of the current property. At best you get the legislature to allow JSU to choose the contractors for the new stadium and allow some of the dollars to circulate in our community...otherwise UMC gets the current property and people that don't look like me and you get all the contracts (money) for the on-campus stadium. A total win-win for people who have no vested interest in the university. So it will be good if JSU gets some control of the contracts involved...
However, nearly eight years later, no new stadium for the Tigers is in sight, and UMMC’s plans for the near future include renovations and new construction mainly on its main campus.

It’s not something that’s on our radar,” UMMC spokesman Marc Rolph said, referring to any expansion involving the stadium. “It’s serving a valuable purpose right now.”

So a state like MS is going to shell out our allow $120M for an HBCU to build a new stadium because the old one is too big...yet won't approve a new dorm?

MOST people dont think we deserve any. Its dumb af to me. If they want us to move.. PAY US TO MOVE! BUT oh well. The whole move is dumb af to me. Who cares what every other school has? WE HAVE A STADIUM. IT WAS FREE. If you want to count the years we paid rent in the 80s and early 90s, let that be our payment. LOL However, if we have $100M, we should use it for something we NEED like new dorms and dining halls, etc.... We could spend $20M to upgrade memorial and keep it moving. In ten years, spend another $10M. Just make sure it's totally in our name. Why am I typing any of this? The decision has been made... LOL

I don't like the size of Memorial BUT we wont like everything about the new stadium either.

Also, JSU is not getting anything bigger than 35K. We just need to deal with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back