JSU football stadium study among state budget items

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, how can you prove what you say about the stadium? Absence of you having evidence isn't proof.
Ok. If they own it, they should just sell it to the Medical Center and used the proceeds to build a on campus stadium. Do a lease sell while they build an on campus stadium. And if they truly owned it, the legislature has no say in it, however the college board may. But a 40k seat stadium would fit JSU better and that was one of the original sizes of the VET.

Ok. If they own it, they should just sell it to the Medical Center and used the proceeds to build a on campus stadium. Do a lease sell while they build an on campus stadium. And if they truly owned it, the legislature has no say in it, however the college board may. But a 40k seat stadium would fit JSU better and that was one of the original sizes of the VET.

Didn't the MS IHL approve Alcorn's new stadium? Doesn't the Governor put his folks on the IHL? Isn't UMC under the IHL as well?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
We, including you, discussed this issue in depth including references back in April of this year in this very Thread. We discussed that the Operational, Administrative and Managing Powers and Duties over the Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium had been transferred to JSU subject to an agreement reached by the Department of Finance and Administration, JSU and the University of MS Medical Center. JSU does not own the Stadium. Again, I will cite the reference: https://law.justia.com/codes/mississippi/2013/title-55/chapter-23/section-55-23-6

What happened to campus stadium that used to be there?

Im not old enough to know BUT I heard that JSU was land locked and growing. They needed the football field to build the science building. BUT I also heard that money that would have been used to build us a stadium went into Memorial.

Im one of those fans who hates to leave the VET but the plan is clear. We will be out of there sooner than later if you actually watch and listen.

Alcorn don't own anything, valley doesn't own anything, the state of Mississippi and IHL do, just like they own MSU and ole Miss, it's a mute argument to talk about what institutions own their stuff when none of us are private, we are all public institutions. UMC will make a killing off of research dollars if they build a research park at the land the vet sits on and I also heard there maybe plans for a regional centrally located burn center, either way the land is valuable and I agree we need a 40k seat stadium with all the added bells and whistles

Last edited:
No matter who owns it … time is ticking on the Vet as a viable venue for Jackson State

Our President spoke on it this morning during the alumni meeting. Oh wait, Kool-Aid you can speak for yourself if you still log in.....lol

As I said, sooner than later.

Nobody wants to be at Memorial but me AND it shows.
Mane, it aint nothing like that view and atmosphere you that you can literally breath in when you first make your way up that concrete ramp of the Vet and behold the football field in all its splendor as well as the encompassing stadium. Can't be anything like it in all of FCS football!

Mane, it aint nothing like that view and atmosphere you that you can literally breath in when you first make your way up that concrete ramp of the Vet and behold the football field in all its splendor as well as the encompassing stadium. Can't be anything like it in all of FCS football!

giphy.gif

I hope Jackson State's current President doesn't get distracted like Carolyn Meyers. Alumni/Supporters had Dr. Myers pushing for a Domed Stadium, when students were being housed in two hotels and an apartment complex, that JSU later purchased.

It's been five years since the College Board cancelled the dormitory projects. JSU has started another campaign for a new stadium and yet, construction hasn't started on the new dormitories. Academics before Athletics.

JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - Jackson State recently experienced its largest homecoming crowd in program history. It revived talks of building a new stadium.

Earlier this year, JSU received money from the state to get the ball rolling to make it happen.

53,578 fans packed Veterans Memorial Stadium to watch the Jackson State Tigers win over Alabama State. The history-making moment, and having Coach Prime at the helm, have reignited the desire to build a state-of-the-art stadium.

“It is time. Now it is time for Jackson State University to have its own stadium,” Vice President and Director of Athletics Ashley Robinson said.

Not sure what type of stadium could $80m get jsu especially with anything between 35k-40k seating capacity. I know the $120m our AD also mentioned seem more like what will be needed. I know Bama state was $60m and some new high school stadiums in Texas were between $50m-$70m with a large chunk of the price tag going to locker rooms, conference rooms and other meeting space for coaches and players. Colorado state university new stadium also got $60m in naming rights. $30m for stadium naming rights and $20m for field naming rights. UAB stadium seats 47k and was $170m. Jsu could use anything between 37k and 40k. But with this being Mississippi maybe $120 m is like $150m elsewhere. I would like for the stadium to be on campus. That would cut any cost at transporting team, band, sga, equipment and any other party’s affiliated with game day operations. But I also think the metro mall location is not bad being it’s right off the highway and could help revitalize that part of the area because I know a nice hotel would soon be on its way to that area if a stadium were to be built.

Memorial Stadium sits on prime real estate, renovate the stadium and keep it. How much land does a Medical School with only about 3,000 students need to expand? JSU alumni have been sitting on their hands for a mighty long time. Good Luck in raising funds for the new stadium.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Memorial Stadium sits on prime real estate, renovate the stadium and keep it. How much land does a Medical School with only about 3,000 students need to expand? JSU alumni have been sitting on their hands for a mighty long time. Good Luck in raising funds for the new stadium.
Renovating Memorial is not even apart of the conversation. Jsu desires a venue that’s built purposefully for jsu and it’s constitutes. Thanks for the good luck wishes. I think with where our program is right now that raising the funds are definitely within reach.

$80 million won't do it for a stadium to seat 35K-40K. You'll need more money. South Alabama's new stadium seats 25K and it cost $78 million. I tell you what if JSU is going to get a stadium this is the time! Get it while Deion is there and Deion can go pitch the stadium idea to all the companies he's affiliated with and I believe that will help y'all a great deal. Good luck!

In the news article and video AD Robinson said the study will include possible locations for the new stadium, but there are only 2 locations large enough to build it that's close enough to the campus and that is the location that the Dome idea was on near downtown and where the old Metro mall is. I personally think it should be where the original site for the stadium is because if they put it at the old metro mall, you still have to drive away from the campus to get to it. It would not be in walking distance.

I agree! We will never adequately be able to replace our game day experience at THEE VET.

I hope Jackson State's current President doesn't get distracted like Carolyn Meyers. Alumni/Supporters had Dr. Myers pushing for a Domed Stadium, when students were being housed in two hotels and an apartment complex, that JSU later purchased.

It's been five years since the College Board cancelled the dormitory projects. JSU has started another campaign for a new stadium and yet, construction hasn't started on the new dormitories. Academics before Athletics.

I agree. Why pay 100 million for something we dont need and will use 6 or 7 times a year vs using that money for more living and dining options that will be used ALL YEAR! Most schools built stadiums because they NEEDED one. Our azzez got a FREE one and still not happy. LOL

In the news article and video AD Robinson said the study will include possible locations for the new stadium, but there are only 2 locations large enough to build it that's close enough to the campus and that is the location that the Dome idea was on near downtown and where the old Metro mall is. I personally think it should be where the original site for the stadium is because if they put it at the old metro mall, you still have to drive away from the campus to get to it. It would not be in walking distance.
It wont be at Metrocenter.

I dont think the funding will be an issue BUT I agree. We should have been taking care of Memorial. SUs stadium is older than Memorial but according to all the experts, Memorial is crumbling. It is BUT you know why? We want to to crumble. We could renovate the fugg out of Memorial and keep it moving BUT that ship has sailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back