JSU football stadium study among state budget items

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see now and that is much clearer and sorta what I understood. That JSU had the right to use and operate the stadium as it owned it, but once it stopped using it, for whatever reason, it reverted back. I didn't know that it would automatically go to the Medical Center however. Thanks for making it clearer. I do know that is one of the reasons the Alcorn ended the Classic in that they would be playing every year in JSU's home. On a humorous note, I remember the Classic game, where the guy on the JSU mike, put the JSU President on the spot by saying some, let's say, some not so nice things about some Alcorn performers. Had to come back and say that was not the words of JSU. I always wondered what happen to him as I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for the meeting between him and the President.

Sounds like Richard lol 😂

Children of the Corn lol

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Walk in that area lol
Lol I think that its a good spot because the downtown will link straight into Jackson State with the stadium pushing JSU even closer to downtown. I think the city has been trying to get another hotel downtown for years. The only other site that I can think of is the old Metro Mall location, but there are 2 problems with that: 1 its not on campus, and 2 it would cost more money to have that torn down. I think there was another proposed location years ago but I forgot where though. We will all find out in the fall what the plans look like and where the location will be after the study is finished.

Even on the old plans under the Carolyn Myers administration the site location is behind the baseball field connecting into the downtown area. If there are any other site locations that are around or near JSU that are being considered I guess we will find out but the only one that I see with enough space was the site where the Dome idea was.
dome.jpg

Even on the old plans under the Carolyn Myers administration the site location is behind the baseball field connecting into the downtown area. If there are any other site locations that are around or near JSU that are being considered I guess we will find out but the only one that I see with enough space was the site where the Dome idea was.
View attachment 12239
Was Battlefield Park ever considered as a location for the future stadium? Of course it's owned by the city who would have to transfer/donate the property to The JSU Development Fund for that specific purpose.

Was Battlefield Park ever considered as a location for the future stadium? Of course it's owned by the city who would have to transfer/donate the property to The JSU Development Fund for that specific purpose.
I'm not sure, it does have a lot of space to put the new stadium. If they chose battlefield park then that would be just a little bit closer than using the old metro mall location, but I like the location that's behind the baseball field the best.

Last edited:
JSU should keep Memorial stadium and let UMMC expand across Woodrow Wilson and acquire the old Bailey Junior High school. JSU building a stadium on campus will involve eminent domain and quick take private land purchases issues that could take years to settle, just ask then JSU President Ronald Mason. Also, the area surrounding JSU's campus can't accommodate the crowds and traffic flow generated by a 35,000 seat stadium. Don't expect a Replublician led Mississippi legislature to assist JSU in this stadium endeavor, other than to provide funds for a stadium study.

Last edited:
JSU should keep Memorial stadium and let UMMC expand across Woodrow Wilson and acquire the old Bailey Junior High school. JSU building a stadium on campus will involve eminent domain and quick take private land purchases issues that could take years to settle, just ask then JSU President Ronald Mason. Also, the area surrounding JSU's campus can't accommodate the crowds and traffic flow generated by a 35,000 seat stadium. Don't expect a Replublician led Mississippi legislature to assist JSU in this stadium endeavor, other than to provide funds for a stadium study.
No one really knows just where the new stadium is planned to be but I don't think that our president is unaware of the circumstances concerning land near the campus. I think that JSU might have to go just a little further away from the campus if they cant get something worked out to build directly on campus. This article was years ago so who knows what has changed in all that time. I think that the land issue is one of the purposes of the study so that they can see exactly where the new stadium should be. .

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
In a area where land value which was already low has constantly decreased over the years and also more homes and businesses have become vacant and torn down, JSU should be able to find some land for the stadium around campus. The main factor thats pushing this is not only JSU but UMC, we have a little power and extra edge to make this happen with other entities wanting this to happen so they can move along with plans they have, focus on UMCs plan for development, dont look at a new stadium because the power comes from UMC plans more than JSUs plans lol

This is all false, jsu has land designated for a Stadium & has had that for years. Where have y'all been?

View attachment 12239
The area above is encompassed by University Blvd, W. Pascagoula, S. Gallatin, and Hooker Street. Zoom in on the link below using Aerial view and you will see the area is mostly vacant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back