JSU alumnus, Kelvin Jones, named interim Director of the LSU Tiger Marching Band

Blu Bengal

If I remember correctly, a Bethune Cookman grad is the head director for the Penn State marching band.’congrats to those HBCU grads leading these P5 schools

This is called; Great Experience, Great Exposure and you were taught by some of the Greatest!!!
Congratulations Mr. Jones because you deserve this Promotion.
Stay within your Scope and you will be just fine.
"LSU let's do it"
I have a vision but I can't comment on it right now.....

JSU and Bethune Cookman are arguably the most conservative and disciplined HBCU bands marching bands. They are the best! People are taking notice. Congratulations Mr. Jones! THEE I LOVE!

Lol
Idk about all that but congrats to him!
Hopefully this will result in some LSU-SU battles in parades or something

LSU's band isn't "just another white band." They won the Sulder Trophy in 2002 and their Golden Girls are fine. SU's Dancing Dolls used to look and dance like LSU's Golden Girls.

Last edited:
Mr. Jones will find himself having to operate within the confines of the long-established conservative LSU band culture, and continue to do those things that have consistently made them "just another white band."
Yeap, he won't be able to step out too far if he wants any shot at having that interim tag removed.

Mr. Jones will find himself having to operate within the confines of the long-established conservative LSU band culture, and continue to do those things that have consistently made them "just another white band."

Pretty much.

LSU's band isn't "just another white band." They won the Sulder Trophy in 2002 and their Golden Girls are fine. SU's Dancing Dolls used to look and dance like LSU's Golden Girls.

I don't know the origin of Southern's animosity toward LSU's band, but LSU has one of the better PWC marching bands. Maybe LSU playing "Neck" has something to do with it? Congratulations Kelvin, we know you will make us proud!

Last edited:

I don't know the origin of Southern's animosity toward LSU's band, but LSU has one of the better PWC marching bands. Maybe, LSU playing "Neck" has something to do with it? Congratulations Kelvin, we know you will make us proud!

LSU used to jam to "Neck", I think the SEC will fine the school if they play "Neck" again during a game?

Last edited:
Kelvin has been a member of LSU's Band staff for awhile, believe me, he's quite familiar with LSU's alumni, fans and students.

Well then, in that case, you know he will continue to do those things that will make them "just another white band."

I'm not familiar with that trophy! But the coveted Sudler Award, even with all its biases, suggests that a marching band program is highly esteemed.

Last edited:
I don't know the origin of Southern's animosity toward LSU's band, but LSU has one of the better PWC marching bands. Maybe LSU playing "Neck" has something to do with it? Congratulations Kelvin, we know you will make us proud!
Many hardcore SU fans hate all things LSU in my observation. I ain't mad at em though.

Baton Rouge is home to two marching bands that are giants in their respective worlds and in college football period: The Human Jukebox of Southern University and The Gold Band from Tigerland of LSU. The two bands have both won national acclaim and they share the same town, so it only makes sense to get the two together, right? The Human Jukebox thinks so. The much-respected band extended an invitation to its crosstown counterparts via Twitter on Wednesday.

What? LOL. When did SU Dolls dance and look like the LSU dancing girls? And 2002 is a long time ago. LSU aint even the best band in the SEC. That belongs to Texas A&M. I will give them getting their crowd hyped. They definitely do that. But on the field. They are average. Certainly not in Ohio State territory as PWIs are concerned. But hell, I hope Kelvin keeps the job. He may mold them in his own image. Good deal for the young man!

What? LOL. When did SU Dolls dance and look like the LSU dancing girls? And 2002 is a long time ago. LSU aint even the best band in the SEC. That belongs to Texas A&M. I will give them getting their crowd hyped. They definitely do that. But on the field. They are average. Certainly not in Ohio State territory as PWIs are concerned. But hell, I hope Kelvin keeps the job. He may mold them in his own image. Good deal for the young man!
Lol. I was waiting for you to see that comment.

LSU used to jam to "Neck", I think the SEC will fine the school if they play "Neck" again during a game?

I don't think the SEC fines them, the school imposed the ban on themselves because having half the stadium saying "sucking that tiger d--k, b---h" isn't really the image they want to project on national tv. lol

Back