Jena School Fight Case Black teen found guilty by all-white jury

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael Basiden will be at the Alexandria Riverfront Center in downtown Alexandria on Wednesday, September 19, 2007 from 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. I believe tickets to get on the bus from Alexandria to Jena will be sold there.

Here the Address to the Riverfront Center:
707 Main Street
Alexandria, LA 71301
http://www.alexandriariverfrontcenter.com/links.htm

Here's a link to his message board for the buses:

http://www.minglecity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=190

Man Thank you so much for the info

Sharpton and Baisden were just on CNN News (Happening Now) not too long ago.

Protesters to Converge on Louisiana Town
Black Teens' Case Resonates Nationally

By Darryl Fears and Avis Thomas-Lester
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, September 20, 2007; Page A01

Spurred by the Internet and a popular disc jockey's nationwide urban radio program, tens of thousands of people are expected to descend on a sleepy rural Louisiana town to protest what they say are excessive criminal charges against six black teenagers involved in a schoolyard brawl.

About 500 tour buses bearing thousands of riders were scheduled to depart from cities across the United States in the wee hours today for Jena, La., about 230 miles northwest of New Orleans. They will join others who will travel by airplane, automobile caravans and motorcycle convoys in what organizers say is a protest reminiscent of the Freedom Rides of the 1960s.

The demonstration was originally set to coincide with the sentencing of one of the defendants. But even though a state appeals court dismissed his battery conviction last week, organizers decided to go ahead with the rally. In addition, they asked people across the country to dress in black today to show solidarity with the demonstrators.

As of Wednesday, according to the local NAACP and news reports, organizers said they were hoping up to 40,000 people would converge on Jena, a two-lane-highway town of 3,500. Though no one is sure whether the crowd will be that large, Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco (D) has ordered the chief of the state police to work with the LaSalle Parish sheriff on crowd control.

Even if the numbers do not reach the organizers' hopes, the march is another example -- the immigration rights protests of last year being another -- of how radio, the Internet and word of mouth can create a buzz and a unity of purpose in one of the country's largest subcultures that takes hold beneath the radar of the mainstream news media.

read

Is there coverage from Jena still? They are showing Washington's rally now.

There's a brother up there reciting a poem he wrote and they were telling him his time was up. That threw him off and he forgot the rest of it. So they let him come back...lol.

Is there coverage from Jena still? They are showing Washington's rally now.

There's a brother up there reciting a poem he wrote and they were telling him his time was up. That threw him off and he forgot the rest of it. So they let him come back...lol.

Is he wearing the black Dishiki?

I dont people realize how deep this is.

Is he wearing the black Dishiki?

I dont people realize how deep this is.

No he had just a regular black shirt on.

These black folx in Northeast MS could care less. :splat: *sigh* I miss my urban areas! I am like the Jehovah Witness today...lol "Excuse me sister/brother, do you know why I'm wearing all black today?"

:read::splat::read::splat:

Police: As many as 60,000 march in Jena
Town Talk staff

JENA ? Law enforcement the said there have been no problems of ?any significance? so far during the rally that brought tens of thousands into the small community. State Police said the crowd was larger than they had expected, with their estimates as high as 60,000.

Many community members were standing outside of their homes watching as the sea of marchers flowed by. The stream of people, most wearing black, seemed to not end.

http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070920/MAJOREVENT/70920010

bilde

Exactly. I dont know what to say about that pic.

I wonder where them white boyz at that started this mess.

Be you they didnt think it was gonna cause all this ruckus 9 months later.
They probably high tailed it out of town for the weekend.

Town?s worst fears fail to materialize​
By Abbey Brown
abrown@thetowntalk.com
(318) 487-6387

JENA -- Although some area residents were braced for the worst, it never came.

Sept. 20 -- the day many marchers said they will tell their children about and the day many Jena residents have been dreading for weeks -- came and went peacefully.

The day certainly wasn't quiet with mass amounts of people pouring into the town of about 3,000 residents.

But by nightfall, the only remnants of what was once a wall of people roaming around central Jena were discarded water bottles and other trash.

Early estimates placed the crowd as large as 60,000 people, but State Police then said they wouldn't be able to give an accurate estimate without the aid of aerial photography done by their officers.

http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070921/MAJOREVENT/709210335

Sorry Kenn...no attribution...but this just came over the wire at work and it's very short

ALEXANDRIA, La. (AP) ? Police in this central Louisiana city said a man was arrested late Thursday night when officers found two hangman?s nooses dangling from the rear of his pickup truck.
The driver was identified as Jeremiah Munsen of Colfax, La.
The incident took place hours after tens of thousands of civil rights marchers demonstrated in Jena, about an hour?s drive from Alexandria, on behalf of six teens charged with beating a white schoolmate. Earlier in the school year, nooses had been hung from a tree on school grounds.
Munsen, who is white, was charged with inciting a riot.

^^The more things change. :shame:

I wonder if Reed Walters will slap him on the wrist and say "don't do that again."

:upset:

^^The more things change. :shame:

I wonder if Reed Walters will slap him on the wrist and say "don't do that again."

:upset:

Alexandria is in Rapides Parish.

Colfax is in Grant Parish.

Walters is the D.A. of LaSalle Parish, where Jena is.

He is from Grant Parish. Not surprising... Dry Prong send help

What people have to understand about Grant Parish, it was created by the Union to be a majority Black parish after the Civil War and during Reconstruction. Grant Parish was created out of Winn and Rapides Parishes. White folks at that time in that parish did not want a majority Black parish, which was the main reason that started The Famous Colfax Riot. A lot of Blacks were massacred during the riots. The parish itself was name after President Ulysses S. Grant and its parish seat was name after Grant's Vice President Schuyler Colfax. In my opinion, the Union pulled out and left the South unconstructed, which is the reason why racism in this part of Louisiana has always been higher than other parts of Louisiana. Grant Parish is LaSalle Parish neighbor to the west.

Did anyone see Larry King's interview/show on last night? Michael Baisden is discussing it, on his show today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back