JAG has bold plans for SU

BLUEBENGAL

http://www.theadvocate.com/sports/schiefelbein.asp?StoryID=18986

Joe Schiefelbein
JAG has bold plans for SU

How about this? If LSU and the Tiger Athletic Foundation have bold plans to build, re-build and renovate almost every athletic facility anyway, how about there be a campus swap?

Southern can badly use the first-class facilities already at LSU. And because LSU plays the high-stakes game of one-upsmanship with Florida and Notre Dame and Tennessee and that ilk, the Tigers are always, justifiably, eyeing ways to build anew and get the best.

So why not start from scratch instead of foregoing Alex Box Stadium, good enough for five NCAA baseball titles, and Bernie Moore Stadium, good enough for this year's NCAA Outdoors Track and Field Championships?

That's not going to happen, though. The Southsiders love their Indian Mounds and hulking, historic Tiger Stadium and rightly so. The Northsiders crave the view from the Bluff and the stadium named for the legendary A.W. Mumford and justly so.

What needs to happen at Southern and what's starting to happen, though, is for a small group to share some of the ideas that have helped make LSU so successful, tapping into an extensive fanbase like the TAF does.

Enter the Jaguar Athletic Group.

The grass-roots effort is being undertaken to change the grass roots. Literally and figuratively.

Literally, in that the JAG's first project is the renovation of A.W. Mumford Stadium's field.

Figuratively, in that JAG President/CEO Henry Thurman III and Co. are bending ears, getting the word out about the need for fans to join their organization, at memberships starting at $50, and also fund support projects like the "Field Keepers," with tax-deductible donations of $100.

"The biggest process we need to do is education," Thurman said. "We need to learn how to give. Going to a football game is good. But we need that extra dollar or extra three dollars."

The plan is to have the Field Keepers project, with a pricetag nearing $600,000, begin May 11 and finish by early July so the grass can take by the the home opener in mid-September.

The money for the improvement and the group is not going to come solely from Thurman or the JAG's 10-person board. Though Thurman has the fancy Roman numerals with his name, he's not a blue-blood tycoon like Ben Hill Griffin, Florida's No. 1 donor.

He and all the JAG members are just everyday fans. What he and all at Southern are counting on is the numbers generated by all the other everyday fans in the Jaguar Nation.

"Do us a favor: Let your friends know," Southern Chancellor Edward Jackson said. "We believe in it. We know it's good for the university.

"If you care about Southern, this is an opportunity to walk the walk and do it in a way that will not cripple you financially. We've got to pull our strength in numbers."

The existence of the JAG doesn't take the administration off the hook in terms of twisting arms and finding ways to finance projects like the baseball stadium and a second tier to the East side of Mumford Stadium. The athletic department still has to elicit better, stronger corporate support.

But the fans and the alumni and the ex-players have got to help with their money, not just their gripes. That's what first-class programs require these days: fans who give.

All of the athletes, from Michael Hayes to Tremesha Colbert to the visiting schools, deserve the best facilities for them to achieve their best. They shouldn't have to play on muddy fields or rickety gym floors.

"People can't believe we have so huge a fanbase and so less of facilities," Southern football coach Pete Richardson said. "It's tough to recruit. Recruits don't understand what we're coming from. All they know is what's there.

"Our fans are second to none. They'll go anyhwere and do anything. We've got T-shirts, shoes, hats. Somebody's even got a record about the Jaguar Nation. ... The fans have to step forward to show the interest besides just the fanfare of the loyalty to the university."

Richardson recently lost offensive coordinator Mark Orlando, who had been on his staff for nine seasons, to conference foe Texas Southern, with nowhere near Southern's fanbase. One of his main reasons to leave? Facilities. Southern's offense meets in the men's basketball team's locker room, which is no deluxe clubhouse. The Jaguars dress in the F.G. Clark Activity Center and then cross a parking lot and two practice fields to get to Mumford Stadium for games.

"We've got the premier athletic program for black colleges right here," JAG President Elect Donald Shelmire said. "But when you look at the facilities, we're nowhere close.

"We go all over the country with our team. Now, it's time to show the money in Baton Rouge."

Finally!!!

Being a Lifetime supporter of the JAGUAR ATHLETICS and watching the state of our athletic facilities remain in the condition thats subpar to the quality of talented athletes we place put out on the sporting areanas, I feel compelled to support the Jaguar Athletic Group. Personally knowing all the people that help organanize the JAG, I feel comfortable that this organization is in capable hands to move Southern University Athletics to the next level, to where when anyone talk about Jaguar Sports you talk about a first class program.

I hope that all Jaguars who had reservations in the past about giving financially will start supporting the program. Remember that this is a University sanctioned organization that must meet all NCAA and Southern University guidelines.

I have given my $100 Field Keeper donations for this year and have directed a sizable amount each year to support the JAG.

Note: I still will remain a member of the Blue and Gold Century/Quarterback/Sixth Man Clubs, along with giving my yearly financial contribution to S. U. Academics.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Way To Go JAG!!!!

It's good to see Support Groups get started for our schools. What JAG is attempting to do, is the same thing other school's Booster Clubs started off doing. By creating an 'avenue' to support and further enhance the opportunities for their school, they're laying the fundation for years of continued and growing support for the University. Those are the types of thing the big PWCs have been doing for years. And that's what we HBCUs) have to start doing.

Go 'Head Southern!!!!!!

I didn't go there, but I'll support anybody who's trying to support our schools. Where do I send my check?

:idea:

Thank you all for your support.....but most importantly thanks for the checks...lol

Jaguar Athletic Group, Inc.
P.O. Box 54334
Baton Rouge, LA 70892-4334
(225) 357-1137
(866) 343-4JAG (4524) toll free

Call the office and leave your information and everything will be sent to you.

Re: Way To Go JAG!!!!

Originally posted by Taylor-Made'90
Go 'Head Southern!!!!!!

I didn't go there, but I'll support anybody who's trying to support our schools. Where do I send my check?

What a class act Taylor-Made'90!!! Another HBCUs supporter regardless of the school...long let us ALL live.

Where do I send my check?

[/B]

You go into the Tiger Den, click on the thread "Minor Proposal" and get the address from there.

BTW, :tup: SU way to get the ball rolling and Good Luck!!!

Originally posted by Taylor-Made'90
It's good to see Support Groups get started for our schools. What JAG is attempting to do, is the same thing other school's Booster Clubs started off doing. By creating an 'avenue' to support and further enhance the opportunities for their school, they're laying the fundation for years of continued and growing support for the University. Those are the types of thing the big PWCs have been doing for years. And that's what we HBCUs) have to start doing.

Go 'Head Southern!!!!!!

Ok dude....time to call your bluff...go to the Tiger Den and get all the information you need. Ill be expecting to hear from you reeeeeeal soon.

Jag-A-Thon set for April 27

http://www.theadvocate.com/sports/story.asp?StoryID=19050

Jag-A-Thon set for April 27

The second annual Jag-A-Thon television fund-raiser to benefit the Southern University-Baton Rouge Department of Athletics is scheduled from 7-10 p.m. on Saturday, April 27 on Cox Cable Channel 4.

Last year's event raised more than $75,000.

Revenues generated by the Jag-A-Thon help provide assistance to more than 350 student athletes, the news release added. "Unlike athletic departments at most colleges and universities, our department receives no direct funding from the state," Athletic Director Floyd Kerr said.

The honorary chairman of the 2002 Jag-a-Thon is East Baton Rouge Parish Mayor-President, Bobby Simpson.

To make advance contributions, call locally at 771-2712 or long distance at 800-471-7007.

Back