Jackson State's Carolyn Meyers vs. Alcorn's Christopher Brown

Unknowm

They were selected for President around the same time.

During his short tenure in office, Brown has selected a Band Director, Football coach and a Men's basketball coach.

The Band Director and Athletic Director positions at Jackson State remain vacant.

What's up with Meyers?

Blah, blah, blah.

As long as Meyers focuses on bringing in research money, I am good with her.

By Denise Watson Batts
The Virginian-Pilot
© January 5, 2010
NORFOLK

Norfolk State University president Carolyn Meyers, whose leadership has been criticized in recent months, will resign effective June 30.

Ed Hamm, rector of Norfolk State's board of visitors, on Monday confirmed Meyers' departure, saying she will leave to pursue other interests. He didn't elaborate on her plans.

Meyers, 63, could not be reached for comment.

Sources close to the university said that Meyers had allowed improper enrollment practices that could have jeopardized the school's accreditation and that she had lost the board's confidence because of poor judgment and weak leadership.

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/01/meyers-will-resign-president-norfolk-state-university

Whoa! How the heck was this brushed under the rug? JSUers...did they disclose this to the alums? Now, this should in NO WAY been acceptable. I can't believe JSUers would allow this to go unless...they didn't know. And if you didn't know...y'all need to SCREAM for an investigation.

Besides, at 63, wasn't Meyers a bit "long in the tooth" to be an effective prez? If she hadn't become one already? I'm like, you been working 40 years and you STILL don't have an effective track record to stand on...PASS.

Whoa! How the heck was this brushed under the rug? JSUers...did they disclose this to the alums? Now, this should in NO WAY been acceptable. I can't believe JSUers would allow this to go unless...they didn't know. And if you didn't know...y'all need to SCREAM for an investigation.

Besides, at 63, wasn't Meyers a bit "long in the tooth" to be an effective prez? If she hadn't become one already? I'm like, you been working 40 years and you STILL don't have an effective track record to stand on...PASS.

CT,
This was discussed at length. Trust. In the end, the upsides outweighed the downsides and it is not like we could make the decision anyway. You know that. They love Myers at the Department of Ed. I am not sure what she did but they really speak highly of her. They did the same of Mason too though.

This was not brushed under the rug. We knew of it when she was being mentioned. She was asked about it during campus interviews.

Truthfully, no one showed any proof of irregular admissions practices and she stated she didn't change the policy. To me, no president can just change the policy without anyone knowing even if that was the case.

Even now that she is at JSU, people have problems with her. Some folks are never happy. They didn't like Mason and now some don't like Meyers. *go figure*

(JACKSON, Miss.) – Jackson State University has launched its search for a new athletics director. A 13-person committee including JSU faculty, staff, alumni, former athletes and community leaders has released the complete job description that will appear in national publications.

Former Jackson State athletics director Robert “Bobâ€￾ Braddy retired in February after serving five years in the position. Braddy had spent nearly 30 years at JSU and is known as the winningest baseball coach in the history of the Southwestern Athletic Conference.

Robert Walker, special assistant to the president, has acted as the interim athletics director since Braddy’s retirement.

“We hope to have someone in place by July 1,â€￾ said JSU President Carolyn Meyers.

The athletics director is the president’s designee who is responsible for providing direction, management, supervisory oversight and leadership to the Athletics Department staff. Interested persons should contact the university’s Office of Human Resources at 601-979-2015.

A complete job description can be found at the following link:

http://www.jsums.edu/announcements/5.12.11ADpositiondescription.pdf

(JACKSON, Miss.) – Jackson State University has launched its search for a new athletics director. A 13-person committee including JSU faculty, staff, alumni, former athletes and community leaders has released the complete job description that will appear in national publications.

Former Jackson State athletics director Robert “Bob” Braddy retired in February after serving five years in the position. Braddy had spent nearly 30 years at JSU and is known as the winningest baseball coach in the history of the Southwestern Athletic Conference.

Robert Walker, special assistant to the president, has acted as the interim athletics director since Braddy’s retirement.

“We hope to have someone in place by July 1,” said JSU President Carolyn Meyers.

The athletics director is the president’s designee who is responsible for providing direction, management, supervisory oversight and leadership to the Athletics Department staff. Interested persons should contact the university’s Office of Human Resources at 601-979-2015.

And tell McClelland to stop calling that 601 number listed. We would hate to have to change it.

Dr. Meyers publically stated that she would not make any changes during the first 6 months. She wanted to do a proper evaluation first before making suggestions.

Brown also gets no brownie points for hiring a football and bball coach. Those things HAD to be done. Even as far as band director goes, they already had one. Seems to me like Alcorn created another position in the music department.

Brown gets his points for energizing the Braves. I think he will make it 10 years out there which is what Alcorn needs right now. Since Bristow passed, Alcorn has not had a any solid leadership. JSU has never gone without solid leadership.

..and CT, we knew about Meyers past. She invited some folks over to a cookout and didn't invite others so some other folk got mad and seemingly made up some schitt. :lol:

Last edited:

Former Jackson State athletics director Robert “Bobâ€￾ Braddy retired in February after serving five years in the position. Braddy had spent nearly 30 years at JSU and is known as the winningest baseball coach in the history of the Southwestern Athletic Conference.

“We hope to have someone in place by July 1,â€￾ said JSU President Carolyn Meyers.

July 1, 2011 has passed. :deadhorse:

Give the old lady time; she's only two years away from drawing full Social Security benefits.

rockin_granny.gif

Dr. Meyers gets my vote. She was a Vice Chancellor while I was a student at North Carolina A&T. She was a part of a leadership team that led the aggressive infrastructure and marketing transformation at A&T and I'm sure she will do well at JSU. A&T's Research presence also grew tremendously under that team.

As for Dr. Brown, I think he will do great as President of Alcorn. We needed solid leadership and he's bringing it. I'll be the first to admit that leading Alcorn is no joke. Being in a rural location, it's like being a President AND Mayor of a town with no strong tax base.

Best to them both

Back