Jackson State University Upgrades Security on Campus - Video

Why is this so important to you, JAGCAT ? thanks for the positive post but all school campus need to be upgrading their security, which is a hot topic nation wide. This is nothing new on any campus.

Hey Ken,

Maybe this Forum should be changed to "Black College News" to disuss things that are going on and affecting black colleges other than sports or band. I have found that very few current colleges kids visit this forum as it is defined

... meanwhile Grambling better get it's books together under new President Frank Pogue.

GSU: Time for change
July 3, 2010

Since his arrival on Grambling State University's campus last December, President Frank Pogue has consistently held to the public position that GSU, like other historically black universities, is underfunded. He may be right.

But who would know that for sure, given the state of GSU's last two annual audits? The most recently released audit covering fiscal year 2009 looks eerily and dangerously similar to that of GSU's audit for fiscal 2008. Both audits show Grambling's accounting slipping into a state of fiscal uncertainty, even mystery.

Neither audit belongs to Pogue, who arrived on campus more than five months after the completion of the fiscal 2009 audit. They belong to the administration of Horace Judson, who left Louisiana last October after five years as president.

But in failing for three days to answer any questions about this latest GSU audit, Pogue, now the permanent president there, tore a page straight from the Judson playbook for dealing with difficult circumstances: Pogue met it with the same stony silence that Judson used to employ in tough times. Only after area lawmakers suggested that more state oversight of the books might be in order did Pogue publicly answer questions about the '09 audit and how Grambling would mend its ways.........

lnk....
http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/20100703/OPINION01/7030324/1122/GSU/GSU--Time-for-change

Why is this so important to you, JAGCAT ? thanks for the positive post but all school campus need to be upgrading their security, which is a hot topic nation wide. This is nothing new on any campus.

TC,
This type of stuff turns Jagcat on. She hasn't nothing better to do.

Campus safety once again a concern at JSU

Campus safety once again a concern at JSU
Interim president pledges action after professor attacked
Elizabeth Crisp • elizabeth.crisp@clarionledger.com • July 8, 2010

Campus safety has become an issue again at Jackson State University in the wake of an attack on a university professor in her office.

Interim JSU President Leslie Burl McLemore said he plans to make security upgrades a priority of his tenure. He is expected to lead the 8,300-student historically black university through the end of the year.

"Our goal should be to make this a crime-free campus, and we should work toward that goal every day," McLemore told The Clarion-Ledger on Wednesday. "One incident is one too many."

Janice Neal-Vincent said she didn't suspect she was in danger prior to being assaulted last week.

Neal-Vincent, a speech communication professor, was released from the hospital Tuesday but is still seeking medical treatment.

Her alleged attacker and former student, Donald Defarra Plummer Jr., is out of jail on $2,500 bond.

Authorities say Plummer came to room 118 in the Rose E. McCoy Auditorium building and allegedly began beating Neal-Vincent in front of another student.

JSU spokesman Anthony Dean said Plummer was carrying a "small machete" and knives in his backpack.

"This should not have happened to anybody," Neal-Vincent said. "I believe I would be dead if Carlton Bryant were not present."

Authorities said Bryant, the student she had been meeting with before Plummer arrived, stopped the altercation and restrained Plummer until police got there on June 29.

"The public needs to be aware," Neal-Vincent said. "This is not just about my safety. It's about everyone's safety."

Plummer, 22, has been charged with misdemeanor simple assault and carrying a concealed weapon on a school campus - a felony.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20100708/NEWS/7080346/Campus+safety+once+again+a+concern+at+JSU

Some folks have nothing better to do than to surf their rivals hometown paper looking for mess everyday to post, aamu. Never throw stones at a glass house, AAMU had a campus shooting this semester due to a student stepping on someones shoes. Campus violence is prevalent on almost every campus in America. We shouldn't be posting negative things on the Yard anyway. Only Love and Positive things should be displayed on the yard board due to the fact that so many non-swac haters read our boards daily, let's post the positives on campus so they can really hate.

Some folks have nothing better to do than to surf their rivals hometown paper looking for mess everyday to post, aamu. Never throw stones at a glass house, AAMU had a campus shooting this semester due to a student stepping on someones shoes. Campus violence is prevalent on almost every campus in America. We shouldn't be posting negative things on the Yard anyway. Only Love and Positive things should be displayed on the yard board due to the fact that so many non-swac haters read our boards daily, let's post the positives on campus so they can really hate.

You of all people on this board, need to practice what you preach. Please remember your words when it comes to other schools. I guess you can see that your schit stimks to.

You are a prime example of a true blue hater. I didn't post anything negative about valley when ya'll had that drug raid on campus, so don't try to make yours smalltime self look any bigger than you are. I vowed to never smack poor lil ol valley.
your comment goes to show that "when you are on top the bottom feeders will do anything to bring you down".

We tried to save ya'lls po azz from the state so valley folk need to thank us. Every march on the Capital that opposed closing or merger of valley was fought by mainly black from from JSU, so I advice u not to bit the hand that feeds you and get your credit score up. Ole whitie ain't go do JSU wrong because they know that our folks are watching and JSU will always fight and get our share of the funds that due to us, can't say the same about valley folk who sit back by watching and letting JSU folk fight for all rights of HBCU's. Ya'lls poor adminstration didn't even show up when the state and the GOvernor meet on JSU's campus to start their talks of closing valley, but your Daddy JSU was there to help ya'll out and we will continue to do so.
You of all people on this board, need to practice what you preach. Please remember your words when it comes to other schools. I guess you can see that your schit stimks to.

Last edited:
You are a prime example of a true blue hater. I didn't post anything negative about valley when ya'll had that drug raid on campus, so don't try to make yours smalltime self look any bigger than you are. I vowed to never smack poor lil ol valley.
your comment goes to show that "when you are on top the bottom feeders will do anything to bring you down".

We tried to save ya'lls po azz from the state so valley folk need to thank us. Every march on the Capital that opposed closing or merger of valley was fought by mainly black from from JSU, so I advice u not to bit the hand that feeds you and get your credit score up. Ole whitie ain't go do JSU wrong because they know that our folks are watching and JSU will always fight and get our share of the funds that due to us, can't say the same about valley folk who sit back by watching and letting JSU folk fight for all rights of HBCU's. Ya'lls poor adminstration didn't even show up when the state and the GOvernor meet on JSU's campus to start their talks of closing valley, but your Daddy JSU was there to help ya'll out and we will continue to do so.

:shame: Does JSU offer English Composition 101?

No need to post a novel. Look back at your old posts and you will see that all you do is make light of others in a negative situation. Again, glad you finally realize that your schit stinks like everyone else. You know an awful lot about Valley. I don't know of any professor @ Valley or any other school being shot on campus or attacked by a student. You speak of drug raids, but neglected to say what was found(marijuana, No hard drugs and no weapons). The drug raids are coming your way soon. Let's see what drugs and weapons are found. I only want you to realize that you are in no better situation than anyone else.

icon_idiot.gif

How can you secure Jackson State's campus when city traffic runs through the campus at Lynch and Prentiss streets?

They can reroute the city traffic to the Metro Parkway?

You can't really secure Jackson State. Luckily, the school is in a safe area. The campus is WIDE open and anyone can just walk on campus. There is no way to stop that unless they put a big fence around the campus like they have back by the admin tower. However, nothing could have stopped this from happening. This dude was a former student with a student ID. No one would have had a right to stop him.

When I go to GaTech, I just walk on campus, park on campus, etc.... security is not going to randomly stop a person.

You can't really secure Jackson State. Luckily, the school is in a safe area. The campus is WIDE open and anyone can just walk on campus. There is no way to stop that unless they put a big fence around the campus like they have back by the admin tower. However, nothing could have stopped this from happening. This dude was a former student with a student ID. No one would have had a right to stop him.

When I go to GaTech, I just walk on campus, park on campus, etc.... security is not going to randomly stop a person.

:tup::tup::tup:

Back