Jackson State University Sonic Boom of the South (2020-2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meda made it, becomes first Hispanic drum major in the history of the Sonic Boom

If a ball of energy were a person, Marvin Garcia Meda would probably be one. The first-year, biology premed student partly credits his energy for helping him secure a coveted spot as a member of J5 – the exclusive drum major squad for the Sonic Boom of the South Marching Band.

This accomplishment makes Meda the first Hispanic drum major in the history of the Boom.

“I almost teared up, but I was like you have to ‘hold it in, Marvin,’” says Meda, whose mother emigrated from Guatemala to the U.S in the mid-90s.

Dr. Roderick Little, associate director of bands and marching band director at JSU, calls the moment groundbreaking and emphasizes that the program encourages excellence from all. As long as students can “get the job done,” says Little, and uphold the morals and standards of the university, they are fit for leadership positions.

Little adds that diversity brings about new ideas from people with different perspectives and backgrounds that strengthen organizations. The director says the more positive and forward-thinking ideas an organization can have, the further the organization will flourish. Little calls the Sonic Boom a “micro-environment” that reflects the world around it.

“Having a Hispanic drum major speaks to the influence the Sonic Boom has on all ethnicities, not just African Americans. This can also be seen with the viral sensation Justin Heideman (white drum major) from Jefferson Davis High School in Montgomery, Alabama,” says Little, who also serves as instructor of music in the Department of Music. “He does a phenomenal job with adopting the J5 drum major style and has gotten major publicity for it. Our style is definitely second to none, and it all originated here at JSU.”

New-J5-Photo-2.jpeg

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
We trust that everything is well with you and your families! At the request of some wonderful high school band directors, Dr. Roderick Little, Associate Director of Bands/Marching Band Director, created a video to share information for incoming freshmen, all instrumental students and our outstanding fans of the Sonic Boom. We are asking all music educators to continue to motivate students and provide tips on how to better their skillset as musicians by sharing this video and adding your helpful tips for students below! The contents are as follows:

Short Sonic Boom Update- 0:42
Admission- 2:28
Audition- 3:45
Percussion Auditions- 5:13
Encouragement- 8:47
Basic Instrumental Focus and Topics- 13:42
How to Utilize Tips on an Instrument- 19:45
No Instrument Tips- 29:41
Closing Remarks- 38:00

View: https://www.facebook.com/jsusbots/videos/155002009228944/

Question for yall JSU folk...

Who do yall see as your biggest rival, Alcorn or SU?

And what how do yall feel about Valley?

Question for yall JSU folk...

Who do yall see as your biggest rival, Alcorn or SU?

And what how do yall feel about Valley?

I'm not a JSU alum but know many. It depends on the person. I know some that say Alcorn, but most always said SU. For football SU brings a bigger crowd for JSU, for basketball Alcorn draws a bigger crowd (likely due to Alcorn alums living in Jackson). Da Boom gets the most excited to go against The Human Jukebox. So I agree with those that say SU is their biggest rival, Alcorn is a rival as well but the SU rivalry means more.

I'm not a JSU alum but know many. It depends on the person. I know some that say Alcorn, but most always said SU. For football SU brings a bigger crowd for JSU, for basketball Alcorn draws a bigger crowd (likely due to Alcorn alums living in Jackson). Da Boom gets the most excited to go against The Human Jukebox. So I agree with those that say SU is their biggest rival, Alcorn is a rival as well but the SU rivalry means more.

Alcorn and Valley are our very close family members. We give each other Accolades at times. However; SU, on the other hand has a CHIP against JSU,
that is my opinion. I definitely don't understand WHY. SU never PRAISES JSU but we give them Credit from time to time. For example, The 2020 Rose Bowl Parade. They did GREAT. The 2020 Mardi Gras Parade in New Orleans; everybody was quiet, but The Boom showed up and showed out.

JSU let THE FANS decide the VERDICT. Who has the Largest Fan Base no matter where they Travel? California, Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Illinois, Tennessee, Indiana, Michigan, Nevada etc. !!!!!!

"SU IS OUR BITTER SWEET RIVAL"

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Alcorn and Valley are our very close family members. We give each other Accolades at times. However; SU, on the other hand has a CHIP against JSU,
that is my opinion. I definitely don't understand WHY. SU never PRAISES JSU but we give them Credit from time to time. For example, The 2020 Rose Bowl Parade. They did GREAT. The 2020 Mardi Gras Parade in New Orleans; everybody was quiet, but The Boom showed up and showed out.

JSU let THE FANS decide the VERDICT. Who has the Largest Fan Base no matter where they Travel? California, Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Illinois, Tennessee, Indiana, Michigan, Nevada etc. !!!!!!

"SU IS OUR BITTER SWEET RIVAL"

I have a theory on this...

JSU is one of the few SWAC bands (along with TxSU, Bama State and maybe Alcorn) who has never been intimidated by SU, and truth be told JSU has surpassed SU as the top band in the SWAC for a few years now

I have a theory on this...

JSU is one of the few SWAC bands (along with TxSU, Bama State and maybe Alcorn) who has never been intimidated by SU, and truth be told JSU has surpassed SU as the top band in the SWAC for a few years now

I think if JSU had better conditioned instruments and all the same color ... more people would agree. SU has the full package which keeps them on top ... sound, book, and look ... their instruments are in really good shape and the same color.

I think if JSU had better conditioned instruments and all the same color ... more people would agree. SU has the full package which keeps them on top ... sound, book, and look ... their instruments are in really good shape and the same color.

lol is it really a deal breaker for you if all of the instruments aren’t the same color?

lol is it really a deal breaker for you if all of the instruments aren’t the same color?

If we're talking about the best you gotta have the full package so yes. It's hard for me to take them seriously as "the best" without it. Most collegiate bands don't have mix-matched color instruments b/c it looks bad.

Uhh.

Yeah.

I've always hated that JSU's uniforms don't match either. Looks sloppy.

I can give them a pass on that..I know sometimes when the band gets bigger than expected, then some sections will have different uniforms. When I crabbed at ASU, our drumline and tubas had to wear something different because they weren't expecting the band to be that big, and they didnt have enough unis.

If we're talking about the best you gotta have the full package so yes. It's hard for me to take them seriously as "the best" without it. Most collegiate bands don't have mix-matched color instruments b/c it looks bad.

I mean...besides the sousaphone section, it doesnt matter to me. All of the tubas should be the same color because 99% of the time, a player doesnt have his own sousaphone, and uses the one from the school. For other horns, a lot of us have/had our own instruments from high school, so they wont all be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back