Jackson State University Sonic Boom of the South (2018-2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, you already disqualified yourself when you admitted that you haven't kept up with bands for several years, yet someone's supposed to take your word for ANYTHING??!!
Don't transfer southern's dominance over Bama State to The BOOM because we know better, up close and personal.
That's why southern folks FLOCK to Jackson in droves and love coming to Jackson because they know for sure that The BOOM will give them their money's worth and send them home satisfied....even if they do lose. They still know that they witnessed a REAL band with funk, balance and precision.
No other band moves southern folks like The BOOM does. Ask 'em and they'll tell you.

And as far as The BOOM copying Alcorn, don't you know that Alcorn has JSU's former band director leading them. LOL. Come on bruh.....catch up to 2018.

Dude, you already disqualified yourself when you admitted that you haven't kept up with bands for several years, yet someone's supposed to take your word for ANYTHING??!!
Don't transfer southern's dominance over Bama State to The BOOM because we know better, up close and personal.
That's why southern folks FLOCK to Jackson in droves and love coming to Jackson because they know for sure that The BOOM will give them their money's worth and send them home satisfied....even if they do lose. They still know that they witnessed a REAL band with funk, balance and precision.
No other band moves southern folks like The BOOM does. Ask 'em and they'll tell you.

And as far as The BOOM copying Alcorn, don't you know that Alcorn has JSU's former band director leading them. LOL. Come on bruh.....catch up to 2018.

Im not talking about their current director.
old heads have told me ALCORN was the first to come up with that bounce style stepping yall do in Mississippi and JSU copied it!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Im not talking about their current director.
old heads have told me ALCORN was the first to come up with that bounce style stepping yall do in Mississippi and JSU copied it!
Old heads can lie or fabricate just like youngheads. Where's your evidence?
Copying or not, JSU is in the NCAA Hall of Fame and consistently ranked much higher than any school or schools with the initials ASU.

Let’s be real here , Alabama state haven’t been remotely relevant since 2012. 2010 was y’alls last solid year even being able to talk trash against a southern because y’all owned them.... What you need to be worried about is letting Dr.Oliver know to step it up and step it up quick or Miles and Talladega will continue to embarrass Alabama state in numbers in their bands, relevance, and dominance in that state.... you guys are not even the best band in Alabama.... but gone fix your mouth to talk about what “use” to be in the swac and top dawgs... you lost all credibility when you even came in here with that asu mess considering how awful and inconsistent they’ve been the last 5 years. Who’s mans is this? Seriously? Lol

Oh and P.S. before you say anything about Honda or Queen City invites..... y’all get invited at this point because of the honey bees and stinggettes the only halftime house you amateurs get.... I should post that trash performance in here but this a boom thread and I plan to keep it that way. Good day sir.

Oh and P.S. before you say anything about Honda or Queen City invites..... y’all get invited at this point because of the honey bees and stinggettes the only halftime house you amateurs get.... I should post that trash performance in here but this a boom thread and I plan to keep it that way. Good day sir.

you know what..you right I forgot this was a JSU thread..ill exit out

I say they had between 150-200 kids attend the camp, charging roughly $300 each. So that’s $45,000-$60,000. Does that money go towards the school or to the band?

Dowell Taylor
Marie Weidmayer Wednesday, June 27, 2018 11:40 a.m. CDT

Belzoni native Dowell Taylor, 64, is once again the director of bands for Jackson State University and an inductee to the National Black College Alumni Hall of Fame. #"I actually came out of retirement to reassume my old position," he says. "I love the institution. I love the people. I love the students. I love seeing them grow and develop into professionals."

Taylor's love for music started around 12 years old when his father, Rev. N.C. Taylor, brought a used piano home. From there, he says his love grew with his eighth grade band.

As one of 22 children, he played the tuba in eighth grade at Powell Middle School because his parents couldn't afford to buy the trumpet he wanted. But it worked out, Taylor says, because his future wife, Vivian Taylor, was also in the eighth-grade band.

Dowell Taylor studied music education and played in the Jackson State marching band, also known as the Sonic Boom. He earned a bachelor's degree in music education in 1976 and completed his master's degree in the same subject in 1977.

He then worked as the director of bands at Kentucky State University and took a leave of absence to study at the University of Cincinnati's College Conservatory of Music. He did not complete his doctorate because he returned to JSU to work.

After a 20-year absence from the band program, he came back in 2012 as the director of bands and assistant professor of music technology. In 2015, he retired again after working at JSU for 30 years. However, his retirement did not last long, as he became director of bands again in 2017.

This time around is slightly different for Taylor. His role has morphed into more of an administrative one.

Dowell Taylor | Jackson Free Press | Jackson, MS

I just recently sat down for the first time and listened to a complete show of the JSU band, the one they performed in Las Vegas last year or the year before. I thought the show was o.k. but I did notice something that I thought set the JSU band apart from the Southern University Human Jukebox. JSU, if that performance was any indication, simply does not have the "presence" on the field that SU has. Maybe that is what has held them back! Or maybe it is their loudness, or lack thereof! Maybe it is that they are not as flashy as SU! Or could it be that they are simply too conservative? I'm just not sure what's missing with that band! But until they find it, SU will reign!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I just recently sat down for the first time and listened to a complete show of the JSU band, the one they performed in Las Vegas last year or the year before. I thought the show was o.k. but I did notice something that I thought set the JSU band apart from the Southern University Human Jukebox. JSU, if that performance was any indication, simply does not have the "presence" on the field that SU has. Maybe that is what has held them back! Or maybe it is their loudness, or lack thereof! Maybe it is that they are not as flashy as SU! Or could it be that they are simply too conservative? I'm just not sure what's missing with that band! But until they find it, SU will reign!

Outside of bashing other bands in the last 4 years under haymer during halftimes to get house, what has southerns field shows been in comparison to former director Jackson and haymer and companies efforts in the stands? because yall have taken a step back in field shows and put all stock in stands..... lie I dare you.... sweep around your own schools efforts on the field before you come for jsu.

Outside of bashing other bands in the last 4 years under haymer during halftimes to get house, what has southerns field shows been in comparison to former director Jackson and haymer and companies efforts in the stands? because yall have taken a step back in field shows and put all stock in stands..... lie I dare you.... sweep around your own schools efforts on the field before you come for jsu.

Bruh, some folk you gotta ignore. He saw a Boom thread and got hard so he wanted to participate the only way a hater would lol. I’m also with you when you’re right. We been DRAGGING southern when it comes to field shows over the last few years. Let’s keep this about the Boom and let haters continue to Do what they know best because obviously we’re doing something right lol.

Bruh, some folk you gotta ignore. He saw a Boom thread and got hard so he wanted to participate the only way a hater would lol. I’m also with you when you’re right. We been DRAGGING southern when it comes to field shows over the last few years. Let’s keep this about the Boom and let haters continue to Do what they know best because obviously we’re doing something right lol.

You right lol I had to defend the boom though. Southern folks so worried about everyone else but answering who gone be the band director next year …. lol

We know what's missing from southern's band.......HAYMER!!! Hahahahahaha!!
Now focus on your INTERIM director who JSU owns and has embarrassed time and time again. And GO HOME!!!

Come on LTB16, you know not to take seriously what this earle dude says.
This is the same dude who cried like a baby when the southern board dropped the Haymer down, then turned around and hired someone named, "Jackson". Subconsciously, go figure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back