J.R. Smith.... NCAT Aggie (he really is)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
And since he never played college sports he has eligibility.

The rule is as long as you don't play the sport u paid professionally, u can play on college.

Chris Winkie played baseball in the minor leagues straight out of High School before going to Florida State

Isn't there an age limit or was that amended, per the ncaa bylaws? NAIA et al differ, if memory serves correct.

Haven't kept up with the rules over the last 20+ years.

Is enrolled as a freshmen or given credits for life experiences? 1 year courses English 101, Math 101, College Orientation, etc.

Isn't there an age limit or was that amended, per the ncaa bylaws? NAIA et al differ, if memory serves correct.

Haven't kept up with the rules over the last 20+ years.

Since he was never a professional golfer, he is eligible.

Previously he wouldn't been eligible. They screwed over Jeremy Bloom who was a pro skier but decided to play college football. The NCAA determinded he was ineligible after a while so he had to go pro and briefly played in the NFL

Since he was never a professional golfer, he is eligible.

Previously he wouldn't been eligible. They screwed over Jeremy Bloom who was a pro skier but decided to play college football. The NCAA determinded he was ineligible after a while so he had to go pro and briefly played in the NFL
I thought there was a max age limit or was that only for d-1 then 1-A football? Unsure what the fbs/fcs rules read like today.

I thought there was a max age limit or was that only for d-1 then 1-A football? Unsure what the fbs/fcs rules read like today.
Well that's discriminatory, ageism, you're asking for a lawsuit. If he can't play then that's another story. Do you remember the stories of guys that went into the military out of high school, stayed in great shape and came back after military retirement and played football after age 30. Same thing applies here. He never attended college, so his clock never started, 5 years to play 4.

Well that's discriminatory, ageism, you're asking for a lawsuit. If he can't play then that's another story. Do you remember the stories of guys that went into the military out of high school, stayed in great shape and came back after military retirement and played football after age 30. Same thing applies here. He never attended college, so his clock never started, 5 years to play 4.
Up to a certain age at the then d-1 1-A level. I recall it vividly as that was what (Chris) Weinke used and he barely made the cut near the end. The ncaa then 1-A level had an age cutoff of 28/29, if memory serves correct. Can someone clarify so that we do not guess at it.

Again, NAIA rules doesn't apply to ncaa.

There is an age limit for NCAA Division I and II sports. The NCAA allows a one year grace period after high school graduation for DI and II schools. One year after your high school class graduates is when your eligibility will start to be affected in all sports except for hockey, skiing and tennis. The eligibility clock does not start for hockey players and skiers until after their 21st birthday. Tennis players start losing eligibility 6 months after they graduate high school.

The NCAA gives you 5 years to compete in 4 seasons athletically, with the fifth year being a red-shirt year. A red-shirt year gives athletes the opportunity to sit out a year of competition (for reasons such as injury or competition for playing time) and still be allowed to compete in all four years athletically.

The NAIA does not have an age restriction; however they do take away seasons of competition for any participation in sports at a comparable level of competition after September 1st of your high school graduation year.

NCAA Division III schools do not follow the same eligibility guidelines as Division I and II. Each school and conference determines eligibility standards at the DIII level.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
This is the rule based on when a player enrolls in college to play a sport. Typically right after high school. However, if a student never enrolls in college, therefore they are not considered a college athlete so these restrictions do not apply. The clock never started. The NCAA refers to remaining eligibility as the determination toward playing. In Smith’s case he has plenty eligibility, but his previous professional career, I think, is what’s in question as it might hinder his level of eligibility. We know he couldn’t play basketball, but since he never played professionally in the PGA or any other golfing organization, he should be granted the opportunity to play on the A&T golf team either with the 5 & 4 or some variation of it. Hell he carries a 5 handicap, so he can play.

My two folks that once worked at the NCAA said there has never been an age limit to play, just time limits once you begin.

Last edited:
This is the rule based on when a player enrolls in college to play a sport. Typically right after high school. However, if a student never enrolls in college, therefore they are not considered a college athlete so these restrictions do not apply. The clock never started. The NCAA refers to remaining eligibility as the determination toward playing. In Smith’s case he has plenty eligibility, but his previous professional career, I think, is what’s in question as it might hinder his level of eligibility. We know he couldn’t play basketball, but since he never played professionally in the PGA or any other golfing organization, he should be granted the opportunity to play on the A&T golf team either with the 5 & 4 or some variation of it. Hell he carries a 5 handicap, so he can play.

My two folks that once worked at the NCAA said there has never been an age limit to play, just time limits once you begin.

Dang man. That's good news and ALSO a reason to target.

Is Michael Jordan available to golf @ a specific university? lol

Dang man. That's good news and ALSO a reason to target.

Is Michael Jordan available to golf @ a specific university? lol
Breaking News : Coach Prime Deion Sanders will suit up for Jackson State and be the first player coach in HBCU history. sources say he still had one more year of eligibility, and he said 🤬uck it I’ll do it myself….

Back