It's no surprise!!!!! Week-one sellouts

thegooddoctor

Jackson State vs USM - sold out

Grambling state vs McNeese - nearly a sell out. Fans can buy tickets to sit on the hills.

SU vs Tulane - Tulane's largest game in years

It is obvious the SWAC has become a cash cow for the white schools. I do hope we use our bargaining power from these games to our advantage:

a. what do we have to do to play them on our campuses?

b. to play us infootball means you have to play us in other sports.

c. etc, etc,

WE should be in a bargaining position or discontinue playing them. If we just play them for a check we are prostituting our football players just as we do basketball teams when we schedule the big schools knowing it's a lost in order to put a check into the athletic account.

Emotionally we are looking for the victory, but when you are going against a team with more resources, home field advantage, cheating officials, hell when are we going to face reality. We are asking a lot of our players, at least the people who put these games games together should get all they can for our respectives schools and that's more than a gurantee. I bet we didn't asked for a split officiating crew.

Without us they can't meet the attendance requirements of the NCAA. The games are helping them stay Div.I along with benefitting them financially.

Just my opinion. We can't let them use us.

They have the home field advantage, they bring thier own officials who do cheat.

Hey, we are playing a home and home with Grambling. We play up there next season.

We also have a signed contract sent to Southern for a home and home arrangement in 2003 and 2004. That's if they ever sign the thing!

oringnally quote by thegooddoctor.
Without us they can't meet the attendance requirements of the NCAA. The games are helping them stay Div.I along with benefitting them financially.

I agree with this 1000%.

Arkansas State approached UAPB for a game this year,UAPB declined. MVSU attendance record is higher than Arkansas State's. UAPB's attendance is second only to those dayum Razorback's. If UAPB and Arkansas State had played the game in Little Rock, the turn out would definitely be over 30,000. Arkansas State is struggling to stay at D1A. Now Arkansas State is playing San Jose State in Little Rock. Now the whole city Little Rock is backing Arkansas State's with San Jose State to generate a high turn out. This is Arkansas State first time playing in Little Rock for some 35 years. UAPB has been playing in Little Rock for 3O years, and the city of Little Rock has never supported UAPB like they are supporting Arkansas State. Some business men in Little Rock are paying San Jose's State gurantee of $300,000 dollars...so that means Arkansas State will receive all of the money off the gate of War Memorial Stadium..plus the money off the concession stands. Now when UAPB played in War Memorial they have to pay the rent of the venue, a electricity fee.. some say it was around $10,000 dollars and UAPB could not receive any revenue off concession stands! So the money off the gate after expenses is split between UAPB and it's opponent leaves very little.

MOOOOO MOOOOO!!!!!!

cow1.jpg

McNeese is scheduled to come to GSU next season. Nichols State would have come to GSU, but a compromise was made to allow them out of the contract. It is reported that Doug didn't want to play them last year (wanted to schedule a game in Atlanta) but once the contract was signed we were obligated. After discussing it with our AD, it was agreed that we would go to Nichols last year, let them out of the return game, and go to Atlanta this year (we recruit the Atlanta area and this will be a "homecoming" game for a lot of our kids)

McNeese and Northwestern seem to be more than willing to play home and home with SWAC schools. For several seasons McNeese has gone up to Lorman to play the Braves. Apparently some forward thinking and $$$ aware AD at these two schools understand that these games can be lucrative for all parties. Plus it is a great recruiting tool for both opponents.

I'm sorta surprised that GSU and Northwestern hasn't gotten on the field against each other. These schools are less than 80 miles apart and could play home and home or use Shreveport as a neutral sight (about equal distance from both with a lot of alumni from each school).

Will I ever live to see the day that GSU plays La Tech or Northeast in football? Think of the pay day for both schools.

Originally posted by MikeBigg
McNeese is scheduled to come to GSU next season. Nichols State would have come to GSU, but a compromise was made to allow them out of the contract. It is reported that Doug didn't want to play them last year (wanted to schedule a game in Atlanta) but once the contract was signed we were obligated. After discussing it with our AD, it was agreed that we would go to Nichols last year, let them out of the return game, and go to Atlanta this year (we recruit the Atlanta area and this will be a "homecoming" game for a lot of our kids)

McNeese and Northwestern seem to be more than willing to play home and home with SWAC schools. For several seasons McNeese has gone up to Lorman to play the Braves. Apparently some forward thinking and $$$ aware AD at these two schools understand that these games can be lucrative for all parties. Plus it is a great recruiting tool for both opponents.

I'm sorta surprised that GSU and Northwestern hasn't gotten on the field against each other. These schools are less than 80 miles apart and could play home and home or use Shreveport as a neutral sight (about equal distance from both with a lot of alumni from each school).

Originally posted by thegooddoctor

Grambling state vs McNeese - nearly a sell out. Fans can buy tickets to sit on the hills.

SU vs Tulane - Tulane's largest game in years

It is obvious the SWAC has become a cash cow for the white schools. I do hope we use our bargaining power from these games to our advantage:

b. to play us infootball means you have to play us in other sports.

c. etc, etc,

WE should be in a bargaining position or discontinue playing them. If we just play them for a check we are prostituting our football players just as we do basketball teams when we schedule the big schools knowing it's a lost in order to put a check into the athletic account.

Emotionally we are looking for the victory, but when you are going against a team with more resources, home field advantage, cheating officials, hell when are we going to face reality. We are asking a lot of our players, at least the people who put these games games together should get all they can for our respectives schools and that's more than a gurantee. I bet we didn't asked for a split officiating crew.

Just my opinion. We can't let them use us.

They have the home field advantage, they bring thier own officials who do cheat.

Tulane's largest home game in four years. OK. Wait, I'm sorry. After 9/26, it will be Tulane's SECOND largest home game in four years.

BTW, Tulane plays Southern in other sports.

Ask SU's baseball team. Ask Richie Meeks about the difference between SWAC pitching and CUSA pitching.

Originally posted by NASTYNUPE
Will I ever live to see the day that GSU plays La Tech or Northeast in football? Think of the pay day for both schools.

It'll never happen. It could hurt their recruiting if GSU is even semi-competitve. They KNOW what they're doing by staying away. (Just like Ole Miss/Miss St staying away from JSU/Alcorn/MVSU - UH/Rice staying away from TxSU, LSU staying away from SU for the most part, TxAM staying WAAAAAAAY away from PV, etc...)

Originally posted by thegooddoctor

I do hope we use our bargaining power from these games to our advantage:

We do need to learn to use this to our advantage. In-State games attract a lot of fans, and they need to recognize that the SWAC can pack the seats.

By GARY LANEY
AMERICAN PRESS
McNeese State's Aug. 31 season-opener against Grambling is sold out, the fastest sellout in McNeese history. Tickets went on sale Monday morning and all 17,410 seats in Cowboy Stadium were gone by 11:45 a.m. Tuesday.

Do you hear that Louisiana-Lafayette? How about that, Louisiana-Monroe? Grambling's neighbor, Louisiana Tech, should take notice too.

It goes to prove what's been obvious all along: in-state rivalries are good for Louisiana's college football programs. There's nothing like an in-state matchup to light a fire under ticket buyers.

With the NCAA mandating that an average of 15,000 derrieres be in seats for a school to maintain Division I-A status, it seems like in-state games are the way to go.

That's why the lack of games between Tech and its north Louisiana rivals like Louisiana-Monroe, Northwestern State and Grambling State doesn't make sense. That's why there's no excuse for McNeese, ULL and Southern to be banging down doors to play each other.

It seems a little ironic to me. In Louisiana, you have schools that play I-A at least in part to separate themselves from the other public schools in the state not named LSU. By being in I-A, it supposedly moves them higher up in the pecking order.

At the same time it's obvious that for these schools to reach the requirements they need to play at the level they think they belong at, it would be wise to schedule the very schools they would like to create the impression they are better than.

For ULM to have a snowball's chance to stay in I-A, it better get Grambling on the schedule. If ULL wants to average 15,000 fans (the Cajuns only had one crowd of more than 15,000 last year), it had better bend over backwards to get McNeese in tow.

McNeese coach Tommy Tate played and coached at McNeese when the Cowboys had active rivalries with USL and Louisiana Tech. Both games would attract 20,000 fans on a given night.

"I remember having this kind of excitement for those games,'' Tate recalls. "I'm not a political man, but I would love for the Legislature to take a look at this and see if we can get some games going. I'd love to play USL and we have signed a contract with Southern and they have given us a verbal agreement. We are just waiting for them to send it back.''

As the state's smaller I-As scratch and claw to maintain their current status, McNeese is trying to find ways to stuff more fans into the stadium come Aug. 31.

McNeese will sell standing-room tickets the day of the game, but how much they cost and how many will be sold has not yet been determined.

McNeese Athletics Director Sonny Watkins told me Tuesday the school will have to meet with fire marshals to figure out how many fans can sit on the embankments at either end zone. It's new territory for the administration, which has not completely stuffed the "hills" since the early 1980s, before the school did turnstile crowd counts.

Watkins said they would section off an area to funnel standing-room-only ticket buyers to the embankments and to keep them from moving into the general admission and reserved seating areas.

The most people ever to get into the stadium with turnstile counts was the 20,180 that crowded the stadium for a 1995 game with Youngstown State. There was still some room for more on the embankment.

One thing the Grambling game will probably do is allow McNeese to figure out exactly how many fans they can fit on the hills. McNeese ticket manager Cheryl Bellard said she thought McNeese could have sold thousands more tickets had their been available seats. Many of those fans will be back in line on Aug. 31.

There have been other ideas tossed around. Some McNeese fans have discussed the idea of putting temporary bleachers on top of flatbed trucks in the north end zone to help accommodate the overflow crowd.

Others even mentioned the possibility of adding more seats to the stadium if McNeese continues to schedule in-state games that generate this kind of ticket demand. I've also heard the idea of renumbering the seats to where the capacity would be closer to 20,000.

If Grambling and Southern commit to continuing a series with McNeese, these would be wise moves since 17,410 clearly are not enough seats to accommodate a McNeese-Grambling or McNeese-Southern crowd.

While Louisiana's I-As have increased seating capacity to meeting NCAA requirements, McNeese may actually someday be forced to expand the stadium to meet ticket demands.

What a novel concept.

Andros,

I can see that you are a spin doctor or have selective memory. Your failed to mention your SUperior total domination and demolition of your now defunct track and field team. Dont act like SU did not get in that arse. The first place trophy is one of many in our many cases. Kudos to your baseball program. BTW, I am quite sure you know whom the best player in the country is in baseball. Year before last S.U. had a first round draft choice and last year a 2nd rounder. Weeks is projected to go #1 in the first round if he choosed to turn pro. Dont act like the quality of play and players are not good at Southern U. You ask Cal State
Fullerton, LSU, ULL and many others if SU baseball is to be taken lightly. BTW, your SUperior took out Cal State and LSU when they were ranked #2 in the USA. I am quite sure you know about ragin cajun baseball. Ask them what it is like to play on the bluff. You will learn soon enough. Your world series participating team had their hands quite full year before last. I suppose with your myopic mind set, your second string team played the 2nd half 4.5 innings of that game.

Mach,

That article says a lot. If the folks at ULL or LA Tech would put Gram or SU on the schedule, the stadiums would be packed and there would be plenty of money to be made for both parties. I'm glad that Northwestern and McNeese have stepped up to the plate to do the home and home thing. Now we need to see Tulane return the visit to the Bluff.

You can forget about Tech. Those arrogant mofos don't even want to schedule ULM anymore and that was there traditional rival. However, they have scheduled Nichols and MSVU who are D1AA dormats (sorry Valley).

I can somewhat understand their reluctance to schedule GSU...but when your homecoming only draws 16k in a 31K stadium and you still refuse to schedule the second largest attendance school (SU), then you got issues.

We all know those blue wigs in Ruston would rather eat isht out of a can before they play either GSU or Southern...snotty azzes!

With the SWAC only allowing 2 non conference games in 2003, I seriously doubt SU will be starting many home/away series with La teams. I'm certain one of our yearly 2 games will be a school willing to come to Mumford without a return visit to their stadium.

Originally posted by cat daddy

Now we need to see Tulane return the visit to the Bluff.

The Tulane game will never be played at Mumford. It was discussed at a board meeting I attended earlier. We made approx 200k + more than we do at a sellout in Mumford.

Originally posted by JROCK
Andros,

I can see that you are a spin doctor or have selective memory. Your failed to mention your SUperior total domination and demolition of your now defunct track and field team. Dont act like SU did not get in that arse. The first place trophy is one of many in our many cases. Kudos to your baseball program. BTW, I am quite sure you know whom the best player in the country is in baseball. Year before last S.U. had a first round draft choice and last year a 2nd rounder. Weeks is projected to go #1 in the first round if he choosed to turn pro. Dont act like the quality of play and players are not good at Southern U. You ask Cal State
Fullerton, LSU, ULL and many others if SU baseball is to be taken lightly. BTW, your SUperior took out Cal State and LSU when they were ranked #2 in the USA. I am quite sure you know about ragin cajun baseball. Ask them what it is like to play on the bluff. You will learn soon enough. Your world series participating team had their hands quite full year before last. I suppose with your myopic mind set, your second string team played the 2nd half 4.5 innings of that game.

Only Men's Track is defunct. Of course, since track is non-revenue...

As for baseball: 22-7. 22 runs is a lot. Weeks is a great player, but look at his stats from Team USA: http://www.usabaseball.com/natl_stats.html

Also, note who is #1 there. That's right. Michael Aubrey, from Tulane. BTW, what school has a winning record versus LSU for the last five years? That's right, Tulane. Who has a winning record versus Southern... Take a guess here. If Aubrey comes out, the top two picks in the draft will be from Louisiana colleges.

You call my mindset myopic, but I'm just telling you like it is. 22-7 was the final in that game. When SU was up 7-3, y'all were really loud. 19 unanswered runs later, y'all were really quiet--or gone.

Originally posted by BgJag

The Tulane game will never be played at Mumford. It was discussed at a board meeting I attended earlier. We made approx 200k + more than we do at a sell in Mumford.

The deal is that every other year, Southern is treated as the home team at the Dome for revenue purposes, which means that SU gets the majority of the ticket revenue this year and will be the "home team". Again, this game is a win-win for all involved.

Oh, and JROCK,

Southern has beaten LSU ONCE in over thirty games. OK, I was overjoyed when that happened, but that's just the law of averages coming into play.

Sweep them in a season series before you run smack at those lame arse kittens.

ULL is without class and will not be discussed here.

sophandros,

please do us a favor and go tell someone else how good the grass is on the other side of the rode. We don't care about that side over here!!!!!!:confused: We don't have nothing to prove to you and no other conf.

Originally posted by CEE DOG
sophandros,

please do us a favor and go tell someone else how good the grass is on the other side of the rode. We don't care about that side over here!!!!!!:confused: We don't have nothing to prove to you and no other conf.

Do yourself a favour and don't read what you don't like. It's a little talk before a football game, not life or death. All I'm doing is spitting out facts in rebuttal to some smack. Game day will come, everyone will be cool with each other, and the smack will go on versus the next opponent. No big deal. Relax.

We've played once at Alcorn St (very nice stadium and campus). We had one home and home with them. We also had a home and home with Prairie View and played them in the Astrodome the same year we went to Alcorn St. The only problem with that game was there was about 3500 McNeese fans in the Dome and there were more people in the PVAMU band there there were PVAMU fans in the stands.

I can guess you say we are moving up in the SWAC food chain (going straight to the top) by scheduling a home and home with Grambling and trying to schedule a home and home with Southern. And you will see a lot of McNeese fans at Grambling next season. We are probably the best traveling Southland school. No where near the Jaquar Nation,though. :)

One other non-SWAC note, we are traveling to ULM this year and there is a lot of interest in that game among McNeese fans. I'm going to be curious to see how many fans we bring to that game.

Back