It's a Double Double

I will not belittle his award nor Halle's award. The fact is they were exceptional in their craft and it is about damned time that somebody other than folk who look like them recognize that!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Like I said in DTWON's Thread

I especially liked this part of Halle's speech

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This moment is so much bigger than me. This moment is for Dorothy Dandridge, Lena Horne, Diahann Carroll. It's for the women who stand behind me, Jada Pinkett, Angela Bassett, Vivica Fox and it's for every nameless faceless woman of color that now has a chance because this door tonight has been opened. Thank you. I'm so honored. I'm so honored and I thank the Academy for choosing me to be the vessel for which His blessing may flow.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You go girl....

and I like this part in Denzel's speech

quote:
Oh, God is good, God is great. God is great. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you all. Forty years I've been chasing Sidney, they finally give it to me, what do they do? They give it to him the same night. I'll always be chasing you, Sidney. I'll always be following in your footsteps. There's nothing I would rather do, sir. Nothing I would rather do. God bless you. God bless you.

Now its time for Angela Bassett, Alfre Woodard and a host of others to get theirs....

CONGRATS TO BOTH OF EM!!!

I've had my reservations about the types of characters that both of them played, but after seeing both movies, I know they were both putting their BEST into those roles. I still can't stand Denzel's character; but my mom said it best, "it must take a lot of TALENT to make you dislike him so much." Hmm. Denzel and Halle did play their roles very convincingly, and I'm proud of them for getting what they deserve :tup:

My only gripe is with the Academy Awards and the people who nominate & vote for them for not awarding awesome talent from Black actors & actresses sooner! Let's hope we won't have to wait so long for some more nods! :nod:

Originally posted by limefree
The role that Denzel played was uncharacterisitic and I don't think that because it was a "thug" role he won. He made the role believable. People had probably type casted him into the good guy role, and when he came with this it was convincing, that is a true sign of a good actor. I am glad that Halle Berry put it down for the other actresses, the door has been opened. :D

Gott Dayum!!! You took the words right out of my mouth. And I had been telling people this very same thing until I was blue in the face.

It kinda pisses me off when I hear people say that it took Denzel playing "a thug" to win a Oscar for best actor. The truth of the matter is that to some degree he had been type casted. This role is what was needed for him to expand is talents.

And another thing. He was not playing the role of "a thug", he was playing the role of a crooked cop.

Look at Tom Hanks. At one time, all Tom Hanks did was play funny roles in comedies such as "Bachlor Party", "Big", "Turner & Hooch" "The Burbs" "Dragnet" and "League of Their Own". And I must admit, I enjoyed seeing him play these type of roles. But as soon as he gave up the funny roles to play the role of a gay lawyer with AIDS, he turned heads, and won best actor for "Philadelphia". The very next year he played the role of a country ass retard from Alabama and won best actor for "Forrest Gump". Now look at him.

I just hope that the industry doesn't do to Denzel what it did to Louis Gossett Jr. after he won his Oscor for "An Officer and a Gentleman". He won the award of best supporting actor, but said the phones stopped ringing after he won the award. He couldn't get any quality roles afterwards.

I think Father time caught up with Louis Gosset Jr. Plus he wasn't exactly a "LOOKER" by Hollywood's standards. Denzel Washington will be in the business for a long time to come.

Sam Jackson needs one of those paper weights next.

I am not going to argue with Kenn.

Kenn, you last paragraph is a reason that I am not going to praise Hollywood. Louis Gossett Jr. acted his behind off in that film. The Screen Actor Guild released a report a couple of months ago on the lack of quality roles for people of color in Hollywood. To put it simply I am not going to say glowing things about Hollywood (I never have.) because of Halle and Denzel winning the awards last night.

Originally posted by Ms. Jag4Jag
I will not belittle his award nor Halle's award. The fact is they were exceptional in their craft and it is about damned time that somebody other than folk who look like them recognize that!

My sentiments exactly!

Look folks,
Denzel and Halle deserved their awards. Let's not get caught up in what type of characters they portrayed. It wasn't like either part was degrading. Denzel has always carefully picked his parts. He is one of the few African American actors that can do so. Even Sidney mentioned that afterwards. So Denzel won an Oscar for playing a rogue cop. Some of you act like we have to play goody two shoe roles all the time. Even though we all know the Academy has been racist in recognizing us in movies let's not jump to the conclusion that they gave Halle and Denzel these awards because they played characters that were flawed.

Remember Sir Anthony Hopkins won an Oscar for portraying Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs. Now after all the goody good roles he has played, why did he win for that one. Because he acted his azz off in that role. Same as Denzel did in Training Day. Sometimes we are too critical. Congratulations to Denzel and Halle. They have nothing to be ashamed of. BTW Monsters Ball's producer is an African American. Sometimes even when we win we find a way to make a conspiracy out of it. All the white actors that are truly great play some not so nice roles. That's what what separates the good actors from the great actors. The ability to do various roles well and make them believable.

Jack Nicholson, Michael Douglas, Richard Gere, Kevin Spacey, Gene Hackman and countless other Oscar nominated actors have played bad people. What I would have a problem with is that Denzel had played those type of roles all the time. But he doesn't. Unlike some of our black actors who we see over and over playing a dope dealer or pimps in stupid no having a plot movies. Just my 2 cents.

Kenn,
I couldn't agree with you more. Good points in your post.

Samuel Jackson is definitely due. I hope he is next. I always thought Laurence Fishburne was due too. He already has won some Tony awards for his stage acting. He is one of our better actors as well.

Some folk don't seem to understand that it's an award for an acting performance. Who gives a damn about the type of character he played.

I thought Snipes shoulda won for Nino Brown (New Jack City) and he didn't even get nominated. Guess they were doing us a favor by looking out for the implications that winning for such a role would have. :rolleyes:

GET OUR OWN ACADEMY AWARD SHOW CALLED "THE LENNY'S" AND MAYBE PLAYA'S CLUB, I GOT THE HOOK UP, FRIDAYS AND SOUL FOOD WON'T BE SHUT OUT.

SAY THAT ROBBER!

Originally posted by Robber
Some folk don't seem to understand that it's an award for an acting performance. Who gives a damn about the type of character he played.

I thought Snipes shoulda won for Nino Brown (New Jack City) and he didn't even get nominated.Guess they were doing us a favor by looking out for the implications that winning for such a role would have. :rolleyes:

AMEN BROTHER!

And AMEN to all that that JR said too!

:::shrugging shoulders:::

SHEESH!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Congratulations are definite in order for Denzel and Halle. They should have won years ago, especillay Denzel (Malcolm X protrayal was the best). He should win again for his protrayal as "John Q". Think about the year "TheColor Purple" was nominated for Thirteen awards and they walked away with nothing because the NAACP and some of us complained about the characters. It was a very good movie and Oprah Winfrey, Woopie Goldberg, and Glover protrayed the characters to the max.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
It oughtta be a repeat next year...

If you haven't seen 'John Q', go see it. Denzel could very well win it again next year. I've seen Training Day and John Q, and the characters are soo believable and convincing, you don't 'see' Denzel anymore. You see the character. And I think that John Q's character is more developed than Alonzo Harris' character was.

Denzel could walk-away with it next year too!!!! He's got my vote. John Q's gonna be hard to beat!!!!

:idea:

Back