Isiah Thomas was fired Wednesday

Ice Man

ESPN.com news services

INDIANAPOLIS -- Isiah Thomas was fired Wednesday as head coach of the Indiana Pacers, a surprise move that came only seven weeks after Larry Bird took over as president of basketball operations.

Thomas will be paid for the final season remaining on his contract.

"After looking at film, seeing how things were and evaluating the basketball operations, I detected the team's chemistry wasn't what it should be," Bird said. "A change was necessary and a fresh start was important."

Bird rejoined the franchise in his current role last month.

Thomas, an NBA Hall of Famer, led a young Indiana team into the playoffs each of his first three seasons, but they were knocked out in the first round each year. He was 131-115 in three years.

Pacers president Donnie Walsh said the search for a replacement would be immediate. Former Detroit Pistons coach Rick Carlisle, a former Pacers assistant when Bird was coach, is the logical choice.

Thomas won two championships as a player with the Pistons.

Bird and Thomas were contentious rivals from their days of leading the Celtics and Pistons to NBA titles in the 1980s.

When he was hired July 11, Bird walked off the podium at a news conference and shook hands with Thomas -- but neither smiled.

Bird led the Pacers to the 2000 NBA Finals and the best three-year record in their NBA history during his time as coach. Thomas succeeded him as coach.

Indiana had the best record in the Eastern Conference at the All-Star break this past season, making Thomas the All-Star coach, but went 14-19 the rest of the season and lost in the first round of the playoffs to Boston.

Walsh at the time gave no indication Thomas wouldn't return, although he said the second-half swoon was troubling.

Pacers players had continued to voice support for Thomas. Jermaine O'Neal, then a free agent, said before he re-signed with the team last month that he would not play for anybody but Thomas with the Pacers.

The biggest criticism of Thomas was his inconsistent rotations. While most players preferred a set role, Thomas made his decisions on his own feelings for a particular game and team matchups.

Who didn't see this comming after Bird was hired. There was no way both these guy's would be there when the season start's.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
When it became clear that he really couldn't coach (to me) during the Boston series, I knew he'd be gone sooner or later.....

:shame:

Originally posted by Taylor-Made'90
When it became clear that he really couldn't coach (to me) during the Boston series, I knew he'd be gone sooner or later.....

:shame:

Isiah is not a good coach, but he would be a GREAT GM for somebody that would give him a chance ...... Toronto messed up. Most players that were superstar's don't make good coaches. The best coaches are players that were not ........ You know, the one's that had to do a little of everything, including "dumming down" their game for the good of the team.

Originally posted by jstate83
Isiah is not a good coach, but he would be a GREAT GM for somebody that would give him a chance ...... Toronto messed up. Most players that were superstar's don't make good coaches. The best coaches are players that were not ........ You know, the one's that had to do a little of everything, including "dumming down" their game for the good of the team.

Personally, I think the best thing Isiah Thomas ever was, was being the leader of the Pistons.

Other than that, he hasn't impressed me one bit. He wasn't much of a commentator (he never had nothing to say). And even being a coach, he was always silent when he should've been shouting. He reminds me of Tony Dungy or Ray Rhodes, always too quiet when he should be making racket....

Isiah needs to go home. He prolly stunk as a GM too. I hat e jokers that're too quiet, and alwayd looking around grinning....:mad:

:D

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why you got to "hate", :emlaugh:, on the little man like this. On tha real, Isiah would make a good GM. Remember he bought the Continental Basket League and basically made it what it is today, (before he had to give up ownership right to be a GM or Head coach) ............................. The NBA DEVELOPEMENTAL LEAGUE. This was his goal when he bought it for 10 million. He know what he is doing on the business side ........ coaching is another.

Who didn't see this comming after Bird was hired. There was no way both these guy's would be there when the season start's.
I bet Isiah ain't surprised. He and Bird have never gotten along. Isiah hated Bird during their playing days and vice versa. I figured Bird would get rid of him sooner or later.

Why you got to "hate", :emlaugh:, on the little man like this.

You're right, Kev...... I am hatin' on his lil arse..... And I'own care not one iota about it!!!!!!!

I never liked him....Never. :mad: :mad:

And another thing......................

Vinnie Johnson and Joe Dumars were better than he was anyway!!!!:mad::mad:

:D:D:D

Remember that Dennis Rodman just repeated the remark that Thomas made about Larry Bird being great because he was white, back in the day. No surprise that Larry gets back at I.

Why you got to "hate", :emlaugh:, on the little man like this. On tha real, Isiah would make a good GM. Remember he bought the Continental Basket League and basically made it what it is today, (before he had to give up ownership right to be a GM or Head coach) ............................. The NBA DEVELOPEMENTAL LEAGUE. This was his goal when he bought it for 10 million. He know what he is doing on the business side ........ coaching is another.

What did Isiah do for the CBA that was so great. The NBDL was the created by the NBA.

Originally posted by cat daddy
What did Isiah do for the CBA that was so great. The NBDL was the created by the NBA.

The NBDL was created by the NBA following Isiah's plan. He bought the CBA for $10 million about a year before he got his first GM gig. Isiah, along with the powers that be in the NBA got together to work out a plan that he, Isiah, had put together. His ultimate goal was to match EVERY team in the NBA with their own FARM TEAM ...... Like what baseball dose with it's minor league teams. He had to "give up" ownership rights because he became the GM of Toronto.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Back