Is Steve McNair "Future Hall of Famer Steve McNair" Yet?

Dr. Mac

Player
Just wondering if any think McNair is a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame yet or if he still needs a few more good years. Does he have anything else left to do to get the honor or does he already measure up?

Regards.

Originally posted by Dr. Mac
Just wondering if any think McNair is a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame yet or if he still needs a few more good years. Does he have anything else left to do to get the honor or does he already measure up?

Regards.

Steve needs 4 more years of some great numbers plus a SB title or 2. Especially being a Black Qb. Only Warren Moon will get to the Hall of Fame as a black QB at this point. His numbers will get him there and even that isn't going to make it automatic.

Right now Steve has 22,637 yds passing, 132 Tds, 83 ints and 3,172 yds rushing with 34 Tds. He also has four 3,000 yd passing seasons including his last 3 in a row. Seems like 45K yards will get him in the Hall, so maybe if he has 4-5 more years like these last 3 and stay healthy he may have a legit shot. Especially if he wins a SB. Steve is about 31 years old so he can't afford to fall off at this point.

Just to compare:
Bret Favre stats are over 45k yds, 34O something TDs and 1 SB trophy and another appearance. He is the only shoo in at QB that is currently playing. Peyton Manning already has over 24k yds in less time than Steve and is on his way. So Steve has his work cut out for him. SB wins will help ala Troy Aikman who also will have trouble getting in. He will get in but it will not be first ballot. He wouldn't have if he had not won those bowls. His stats were average.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I agree with JR. Question.....How would Steve compare to Jim Plunkett and Ken Stabler who are not in the Hall? Personally, I think Plunkett and Stabler were better that Farve. On thing about Farve, Elway, and Marino that no one seems to mention. Those guys threw a lot of interceptions that caused their teams to lose a lot of games and required the need for a comeback. Peyton Manning and Curt Warner throws a lot of them too.

Consider how the rules changed since Stabler and Plunkett started playing. I agree with JR. Fisher did not let McNair throw a lot early in his career.

I believe......

That Doug Williams belong in the Hall of Fame. The impact that he had on the Tampa franchise both when he arrived and after he left speak volumes. All of the stats in the world could never tell the story. Also, to cap off his career with the Super victory and MVP is simply le Coup de Gras.

In McNair's favor are the MVP award (to go with the one he should have had in '02), a super-bowl appearance, and the respect of the players, administrators, fans, and writers that he is one of the best players to ever play football. He really transcends his position and most people see him as more than just a quarterback but as a "football player" similar to the way Jim Brown and Walter Payton were viewed.

But with that said, I don't think he is a shoo-in yet. I agree with JR that he needs a few more quality years; a super-bowl wouldn't hurt matters but it won't matter if he continues to play and produce like he has been.

Moon will probably get in but I don't see it as a "done deal." I wouldn't be surprised if some hold his canadian league days against him.

And althought I agree with JRock's comments about what Doug did for Tampa Bay, he won't get in. He doesn't have the stats or enough quality years.

Regards.

Back