Is Prairie View

From what I have seen......yes they are.....IMHO. Most of the other SWAC precussion sections are coming up quickly.....but the BOX sets the standard bar pretty high.

Why you ask?

For their style of playing I'd say so.... but they are not nearly the section they were in the 90's. But most other drumlines in the swac are alot more focused on funk than military style playing. I'd say the BOX is the closest thing to DCI in the SWAC. But not every body likes that style. As far as funk goes... I'd say JSU has it. They sound the best with in their band.

I'm like Solo.....I think the BOX is the best. But I like that style. And no, they are not what they used to be, IMHO. But they make up for it in other aspects that weren't nearly as good in the past.

But as far as other sections, I actually like SU's section. Some say they are simple, but that's what funk is to me. They are dayum good at their style too. I haven't seen JSU's section in a lil bit, but I used to like certain things they did too.

Originally posted by roadblock-2-spr97
GSU and PV use to go at it in the early to mid 90's right in the area between the tunnel and end zone.

I was watching a tape of one of those earlier today (93 if I'm not mistaken). And Gram wasn't half bad, but PV ate their lunch. It was the first year PV got the blue Premier drums. Chocolate Thunder danced their arse off though...:D

PV's drum section is tight and probably is the best HBCU drumline. But they always have been good. The section was good even before the band started getting better.

Alcorn and Valley used to have good drum sections that were technical. But that was a long time ago. I have not paid attention lately.

SU has some good players, I just hate our drums now. They don't sound like the old drums from back in the day. Our tenors have a totally different sound than they used too as well as the snares. I guess the equipment has evolved over the years.

War and Thunder at JSU still are funky and they usually can get technical if they have too.

the box always been tight to me since high school. skills and creativity and the features on the field be tight.

i like su's too. like s phi s said about them being simple at times (shot, klum, booms) it just flows with their music. you feel the beat and not just hear it in the music. plus i like the sound of su snares better.

Even though we not as technically sound as our predecessors, we still try to keep everything we do one or two steps ahead of our closest competitors.:D

Back