Is it really "The Real World"?

Stormy

extradinaire d'auteur
http://www.mtv.com/onair/realworld/season11/

Since the first season of MTV's The Real World I've had a problem with the sisters and brothers they chose. I can only think of two black people in 10 seasons that I felt were "real". This seasons Chicago cast has the typical two black people. The brother (Theo) will inevitably be put out......and the sister (Aneesa) is a gay/nudist. She walks around that place naked all the time. I haven't followed the show for a few seasons, but it seems like business as usual.

I'm tired of these stereotyped, cookie cutter black images being cast on the show every year. Just thought I'd vent for a moment.

Who else watches this show?

I agree

I like the show, but I haven't liked anyone since Kameelah, Cyrus, the little japanese/black girl, and waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy back when ol' girl who married the football player said "it wasn't NOT funny" ....hence, it was funny then....the blond chick who had the abortion...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I feel ya on that Storm. It seems as if MTV feels threaten with other network "reality tv" and their new methods along with new cast members SUCK!!!

From this last RW in NY...they had three AA people. Ironic no one was of the darker complexion. :rolleyes: The ole school RW were definitely the best. Last best season of the RW...Boston.

Seattle sucked!
Hawaii-tired of seeing the lush, Ruthie and Drama Queen-Amaiyah
NY 2001-Corral, Nicole and the dude with the Afro...tried to hold their own, but still didn't compare to the past RW.

Originally posted by BluBlood

NY 2001-Corral, Nicole and the dude with the Afro...tried to hold their own, but still didn't compare to the past RW.

Ay,
Nicole.........felt like I was watching a Faith Evans video (girl ahd them lips though....:D )
Coral, I'd smack the hell out of her.....she was getting away w/murder beacuse of she "was around"....
Black dude w/afro (Malik??): I think dude was gay, on the real. Never saw dude try to mack on any honies.....:mad:

I'll have to check out the new episosdes and tell ya' what I think....

Malik...yeah that was it. Well SupaKat...you know him and Jiselle (kicked off of Road Rules) were suppose to have gotten it on before their trip. That was the only girl I saw him with. He had a nice smile. :D

What if it were you...

Interesting that y?all are talking about ?The Real World??

This morning on my way to work I heard on the radio that they (The Real World/Road Rules) are having an OPEN CASTING CALL IN HOUSTON. It will be on January 16th from 8:00am ? 5:00pm at the Roxy (nightclub). One thing? you have to be between the ages of 18 and 24. I am sure that a lot of H-town kneegrows are thinking about trying out. Personally, I do not meet the age requirement (just having a birthday and all :rolleyes: ) so I won?t be there. Plus I don?t think I have enough drama going on in my life to make the first cut.

But tell me this? if the casting call was being held in your town? would you go??? Are any of you Houston peps planning on trying out???

MTV is doing a casting call here in Houston, maybe we'll see some of 'us' from here in H-town.

My favorite shows where Real World Miami with Cynthia and Flora.
and Hawaii man that Ruthie had my ass tuning in every Tuesday. When she passed out in that club :eek:

But who are you to say that they aren't normal/real people? Everybody doesn't live up to the same norm.

Originally posted by unknown1
But who are you to say that they aren't normal/real people? Everybody doesn't live up to the same norm.
I didn't say ther weren't normal/real....what I said was...

Originally posted by Storm_ofSU
I can only think of two black people in 10 seasons that I felt were "real".
Key Word: "I"
....and yes that is my opinion.
I wasn't talking about who's "normal" @ all.
(I don't even believe in the theory of normalcy...
why? because it's relative)
I do however, question the motives of the "Real World" casting directors.

And:
You don't have to agree...hence the thread.
Speak on it!
(...and in the future please do so without
misquoting or misinterpreting my posts.)
Thank you. :rolleyes:
I should add another line to my signature, "Most misquoted person on the page".

That aside.....
Like I said, I haven't tuned in consistently for a while. I liked the Original NY Cast (because none of them really knew what they were getting into), The Boston Cast, The Miami Cast. Hawaii and New Orleans were interesting...both women of color were alcoholics. For a show about "diversity", I just don't think the've seeked diverse people of color. The sister in Chicago's cast is a step toward diversity....but...well....couldn't they find a gay non-nudist sister?
I'm just asking. :D

I won't watch the show, until there is a predominantely Black House, with the 2 token Whites. I would like to see how they respond to their housemates, when they are the ones out of their element, and they are deemed the trouble makers, and outcast.

NICE

I haven't been a RW fan since the very first season when they kicked the brother out of the house for pulling the covers off of ol' girl. I never got over that.

Mtv only cast people who they know will create some sort of controversy so that people will tune in to see the drama. Storm I am curious which two blacks you thought were real?

And D-Nice I don't think will ever happen. Hell last season I was surprised at the fact that they had three blacks.....:confused:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I'm with Nice. Heck...let them defend the white race once and a while.

And what ever happened to that casting producer that gave up her job just to be with that Italian guy from the Seattle episode? Was she crazy? Is it that much luv in the world?

Originally posted by BluBlood
I'm with Nice. Heck...let them defend the white race once and a while.

And what ever happened to that casting producer that gave up her job just to be with that Italian guy from the Seattle episode? Was she crazy? Is it that much luv in the world?

I remember that! I thought she was a fool...ain't no why in da heck I would do that. Some jobs are one-in-a-lifetime thing! That like gambling with your money and losing EVERYTHING! It would be kinda nice to see the update about that story.

Re: I agree

Originally posted by Ms. Jag4Jag
I like the show, but I haven't liked anyone since Kameelah, Cyrus, the little japanese/black girl, and waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy back when ol' girl who married the football player said "it wasn't NOT funny" ....hence, it was funny then....the blond chick who had the abortion...
:redhot: ANYWAY!

I liked the one with Cyrus 'dem too...

I didn't like NY for a while. You'd think the 3 AA would act right. They were off the chain in the beginning. I like Miami and the first one (w/ Heather B)... Lousianna had it's bad moments too.

The previews for the show that starts January 15, 2002 Chicago are wild! I see some drama and it's always the black folks!

Boston, London and LA are some of the ones I didnt care for. My favorite ones were NY, Hawaii and New Orleans.

Yo gotta realize that this is not a fair representation of black or white people. they put all of these people with emotional and psychological problems in a house and wait for the drama to pop off. I havent seen Chcago yet though.

It's Real Enuff to understand the white-black dichotomy

The "Real World", while being a televised, socially manipulated living arrangement, has shown more than enough evidence to the fact that white-E does not enjoy living with us; that was/is the recurring theme throughout the series (And perhaps its most important social contribution). Integration is a fantistic concept propagated by dreamy intellectuals.

I saw the "previews" of the RW season where the brotha is shouting. But did you notice the not so subtle racist comments whereby white-E states, "I don't feel safe in this house." Yeah, they never feel safe when we're around.

Of the 10 seasons, whereby there have been one black male on each show, only 3 became somewhat integrated into the group. They were as follows:

1. Cyrus - the inter-racial lover (self-hating mofo)

2. Tek - a tall, lanky multi-colored hair guy

3. The last guy (NY-return, I forget his name) 2 foot afro and no real sense of his black history.

All of the other black males encountered numerous arguments and were not full-members of the group.

I have followed the Real World from the beginning and after looking at the Chicago previews, I realized that there has always been a brotha' on the show that started some isht. I think most people slept on the San Fransisco cast, they went through a lot. The cast that I liked the most was in the N.O., and Hawaii was a trip too. The only brotha' that seemed to be mellow was Mohammed from San Fransico. The worst was that dude from Seattle that slapped the girl. I like the show and I will probably look at the Chicago show. The next one will be in Vegas and that will definitely be Wild.:D :D
I just don't know its the STROBE LIGHT

I'm really scaired!!

With all these Reality Based, Survivor, Extreme,and Alternative Lifestyle type shows, I can only shudder to think what's coming to the next generation of Television.

Just think about it.....

Commode Camera T.V.
"An indepth look at what really goes on in the Bathroom!"

M.J.P.S.N.......The Micheal Jackson Plastic Surgery Network
"Take a tour inside (literally) the Mind of Micheal Jackson"

The "Crackaddicted-Ho" Hunter
"Ello mate, Im gonna go over to that "Crack Head" right over there and stick my D***, right in her mouth and see if I get H.I.V !"

The Gay Thugs Shopping Network
"Not only will they kick your Azzz, But they will lick your Azzz!"

Man, it's scary !!!
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

One the real though, I have been watching the Real World for a long time now, and the show is entertaining. I would love to be on the show. Probably my favorite black character was my boy Teck Money, because he was real. He took the car and rode around Hawaii, and didn't give a dayum. He had women over the house and everything. It seems like the crunkest moments happen with the black folks, because the one moment that no one will ever forget, was when Stephen slapped the s*** out of Irene! I would love to see the majority of the house be black, and set it in Memphis or Atlanta somewhere. It wouldn't hurt them to have some Latino honies on that joint.

Taking a moment to remember Pedro *sniff*

Yeah, Chicago will seem pretty wild. I'm wondering if they begin taping before or after the 9-11 incident?

Anessa seems as if she is a tease for the brothas.
Theo seems cool, but he needs to let it go...Anessa is gay...or so she says.
Tonya stated from the get go, that she was uncomfortable around black people. I'm waiting for Theo to jack her up!!! :p
Chris is gay, but sweet as L.
Kyle...I'm sorry...the white boy is pretty as L.
Keri, can someone call Ruthie?
Cara, will become another insecure Flora.

RW is becoming nothing but a brothel being set up for 7 strangers.

Back