Is Ced coonin' or just misunderstood?

yvette23

Or are we just too gawd dayum sensitive?? :rolleyes: Read on:

http://new.blackvoices.com/entertainment/custom/special/bv-ent-coons020927.htmlstory

Cedric the Entertainer Presents..."It's Craptacular!"

Dear Cedric the Entertainer,

Well that's two shows in the toilet. By my calculations, you've got about four more to go before those Fox executives give your show a bright and shiny new Timberland.

Read the Anti-Cooning Pledge!

After tuning in for the second straight week to watch "Cedric the Entertainer Presents," frankly speaking, I was embarrassed for you. I mean, let's be real. At the rate you were going, your writers would've had you and the rest of the cast tap dancing in a watermelon patch to the musical styling of the Alabama Porch Monkeys.

There is a God, though. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, your show gets a four-week vacation. Who'd have thought that your show might be saved from cancellation by a bunch of millionaires running around in tight pants spitting tobacco juice. Can I get a round of applause for Major League Baseball?

I'm saying, I want your show to be a success, so I'm trying to keep watching in the hopes that it'll get better. I've enjoyed watching your stand up and your roles in movies like "Big Momma's House" and most recently in "Barbershop" (Forget Jesse. Personally, I thought your character's opinion on Rosa Parks and MLK was hilarious). As one of your fans, supporting your work is the least I can do, but you've got responsibilities too. Look, I'm begging, don't go out like this bruh. You're entirely too talented.

Now you've had some good moments with skits like "Que Hora Es?" and "Bring Your Kids to Work Day," but then y'all go and do something like the "Chef Reverend." My people, my people... What are the writers going to have that character do next time? Maybe a recipe for fried chicken and pig feet? Or maybe, the church has communion where he passes out saltine crackers and Kool-Aid. You knows we loves us some Kool-Aid.

Don't even get me started on the singing and dancing. Now granted, you can carry a tune and you may be able to move a little bit, but whose idea was this? I'm assuming that you've got the fake Fly Girl dancers for a reason, so let 'em dance. As far as that Sammy Davis Jr. thing that you're trying to do at the end of your show, put the mic down and back away slowly.

I'm writing because I'm concerned Ced. Here we are, Fox Primetime. Wednesday nights on lock. Bernie Mac and Cedric the Entertainer. Back to back. Meanwhile, your writers are one episode away from turning you into Wayne Brady, the undisputed and universally recognized, whitest Black man in America. Creative control, Ced. Grab some.

At any rate, I'm not one to tear a brother down without building him back up, so let me close by congratulating you on your new show. It's always nice to see one of our own on the come up. Do your thing and kick those writers to the curb. I truly wish you the best. However, I must admit. Like another fan on your message board said, your show is currently "Craptacular!" Either you're being bamboozled or we are...

I've enclosed a copy of the " Anti-Cooning Pledge" for your perusal. If you could, fill that out, sign your name and send it back. Keep the yellow copy; that one's yours.

Sincerely,

Omari A. Brandt
Interactive Producer, BlackVoices.com

P.S. I almost forgot. If it isn't too much trouble, do something to make me feel good and run off a copy for Halle Berry. She may have fooled the people at the Academy, but I recognize a Black woman reinforcing the animalistic, insatiable, sex fiend stereotype when I see it.

The Anti-Cooning Pledge

I did not get a chance to watch Cedric's show but from comments from the Tom Joyner show and the local radio show here in Little Rock, they say the show is good. Some of our people are to damn sensitive.

I can probally understand Mr. Brandt's concern if there were only comedy roles for African Americans, but we have made great strides in TV, there are and have been dramatic and serious roles for African Americans.

It's a scary situation to me, it seems as though for some reason that African American thinking is trying to become a singular philosophy, variety in thinking and creativity is always better than an entire country of people thinking the same way.

Originally posted by pbla
It's a scary situation to me, it seems as though for some reason that African American thinking is trying to become a singular philosophy, variety in thinking and creativity is always better than an entire country of people thinking the same way.

Man, I could have not put it to better words myself. I just find it amazing that we as a people steadily deny statistics like drug usage, teen pregnacy, crime and school drop out rates in our community. Instead of combating problems like that, you see so called black leaders attacking Barber Shop and Ced on bullisht.

It's easy to attack something like a movie instead of teen pregnancy because a movie will be over in 2 hours. We are steadily heading towards a downward spiral in our community and people still think the "naked" emporer is the best dressed at the Soul Train music awards.

yvette23,

I glad you posted this thread. I was beginning to think it was only me. I was a big CED fan but let's face it, this show is garbage. Why in the world would they change the orginal format of sucess that they had on the Steve Harvey Show? I think orginally CED was to follow that format and play the role of a coach on a losing NBA tean or high school team. I agree, I don't think this show is going to make it.

People are just too sensitive....Leave ol Ceddy Ced alone...

Lest we not forget.........

Coonin' is what first got us on TV..

:tup:

Don't ever get too proud to admit where you've come from......Amos and Andy and Rochester and all those other Uncle Tom and Step-n-Fetch it's, got black folks on TV to start with......Don't act like it ain't never happened.....:mad:

Black Folks, I tell ya.....:smh:

Back