Is An All Male Marching Band Better?

Originally posted by dacontinent
There is something to be said for all-out aggression AND for sensitivity. Females help us with the latter a great deal.

WTF! Man where yall finding these ole sensitive azz dudes from. Dude gone post the dumbest **** i ever heard! Ole cry while postin azz

Anywayz i to agree that a all male band or majority in our case is better. You can get more accomplished in a short amount of time b/c you dont have females biotchin about stuff every five minutes. I love SU b/c my H S band had alot of females..and we couldnt get stuff done fast EVER! b/c they where alwayz complaining about something.

Do you need women in the band? I guess, for majorettes. If she's holdin' it down though to where she's an asset and not a "step down" to the "average" dude in the band on her horn then fine. Other than that....if the military does better with less women then maybe it's the same for marching band which comes from the military.:D But if it's just all fun and band and not much competition then by all means let 'em march.;)

Originally posted by O'Bladerunner
Don't take this the wrong way, but........

.....that's sounds like a loud of isht. :smh:

Men can't be smooth and/or soft on an instrument?

Now, if you wanna base your arguement on SU's concept being different....then, do that. But, now you're being rediculous.

You guys amaze me. If you are not from SU, then never base any argument on SU. The BOX is an anomaly. It is a FREAK (I mean that in a positve way) unit.

Men can be soft and smooth on an instrument, but the culture will not be soft nor smooth without the females. They are there to teach and remind us of how important that it.

ole' sensitive arse dude!!!! who needs sensitivity in band???

That's me. Fortunately every band that I have ever been in or involved with - from Jr High to the present - has had females who carried their weight. I have had the pleasure of working only with directors who insisted on EVERYBODY doing so. Yes, there is/was drama that I could have done without, but there was also passion that I wouldn't do without either. Furthermore, I have very little respect for men who do not know how to articulate what they need to without explitives, innuendo, or "off color" remarks; it shows that they actually engage their brains and intellect before opening their mouths. Having females around tends to help those who tend to push the envelope to refrain from going too far.
Sensitive

That's me. Fortunately every band that I have ever been in or involved with - from Jr High to the present - has had females who carried their weight. I have had the pleasure of working only with directors who insisted on EVERYBODY doing so. Yes, there is/was drama that I could have done without, but there was also passion that I wouldn't do without either. Furthermore, I have very little respect for men who do not know how to articulate what they need to without explitives, innuendo, or "off color" remarks; it shows that they actually engage their brains and intellect before opening their mouths. Having females around tends to help those who tend to push the envelope to refrain from going too far.
Sensitive
Man, you over there on some "Babyface" type isht.

Who ever said they don't know how to speak intelligently? All of the directors speak very well.

The "extra words" are you used to get a point across. See, we don't have time to sugar-coat at the "U"...so, it's warranted.

And, I don't see what you can get out of a females horn, that you can't with a males. Male players have pretty much dominated all instruments for a wide time-span now....so, Im lost on your arguement.

Take what you just said about what the females add to your band, and put in the place of the Southern Univ. you know of.....:smh:

No one is saying girls can't hang on those horns. Cuz, they can. But, what about ALL the access baggage.

If you haven't noticed....SU's "culture" is just fine. And, it's hella effective. He!!, it's been kicking JStank's arse for decades now....and, JSt thinks they've been #1 in the SWAC since before PV football's losing streak....:lol:

PS- What happens when you get tired of the same ol' women year in and year out? At practice....in class......road trips......on campus....etc. Different locations.....same women.

We win....:nod:

Who ever said they don't know how to speak intelligently? All of the directors speak very well.

The "extra words" are you used to get a point across. See, we don't have time to sugar-coat at the "U"...so, it's warranted.

Not me. All of the directors that I am aware of KNOW how to speak intelligently. My point is that MEN (not directors) often choose to not do so when they have an all-male audience in the name of machismo. In terms of intellect, it lessens my perception of those men when they do that. In the case of HBCU directors, we are talking about men whose credentials suggest that they have greater ability to choose more eloquent "extra words" that those of basal colloquy.

And, I don't see what you can get out of a females horn, that you can't with a males. Male players have pretty much dominated all instruments for a wide time-span now....so, Im lost on your arguement.

...If you haven't noticed....SU's "culture" is just fine. And, it's hella effective. He!!, it's been kicking JStank's arse for decades now....and, JSt thinks they've been #1 in the SWAC since before PV football's losing streak....:lol:

PS- What happens when you get tired of the same ol' women year in and year out? At practice....in class......road trips......on campus....etc. Different locations.....same women.

We win....:nod:

I agree with your assessment. You ARE lost on my argument. It's not about playing at all. It is about relationships. And I don't have the same types of relationships - including musical relationships - with men that I have with women.

When did this degenerate into an SU vs JSU discussion? I don't know anything about the culture of The Jukebox. As long as it works for the BOX, then that is fine with me. I did not choose to attend there, and from what you members of The BOX describe, I can see that I made the right decision FOR ME. That would not have worked FOR ME. I have experienced the culture of the SU campus and found it normal on those occasions.

As for tiring of the same WOMAN, I married the only girl that I ever dated. I met her at JSU when we were both freshmen. That was 24 years ago. I'm keeping her. As for the other women, they don't matter. Mine is more than enough for me. I love (and loved) hanging with her far more that the same ol' fellows - at practice....in class......road trips......on campus...at the altar...in labor and delivery...etc. Different locations.....ONE WOMAN. :D :D :D :D

So, you'd rather infest the other sections in the band....cuz, you want head shots on roadtrips? :smh:

This is why it's nothing to us......

1....6+ to 1 w/m ratio on campus.

2....Women waiting in lobbies of the hotels when you get there.

3....Women (who loves a soldier in uniform) at the games.

4....Women everywhere.

5....And, you get to be in the most fiya band on earf.

.....we win. :nod:

:)

whatever man.... I'm talking about skeetn' on the bus and you talking about your campus ratio. All I'm saying is I like yams more than sausage. The more yams the better... on the yard... at the game... on the bus. And as far as the section thing... yeah i would rather they stay in the woodwind world, but i got respect for a chick with nuts enough to blow a brass instrument. my only problem with them is the dice roll you take when it comes to attitude. on brass it seems like they are either cool as hell and kind of tomboyish or they are dead weight. either way the scrubs(man or women) usually fall to the way side.

But to he!! with all the internet band philosiphy... I just want some brains...

Originally posted by solophone96
whatever man.... I'm talking about skeetn' on the bus and you talking about your campus ratio. All I'm saying is I like yams more than sausage. The more yams the better... on the yard... at the game... on the bus. And as far as the section thing... yeah i would rather they stay in the woodwind world, but i got respect for a chick with nuts enough to blow a brass instrument. my only problem with them is the dice roll you take when it comes to attitude. on brass it seems like they are either cool as hell and kind of tomboyish or they are dead weight. either way the scrubs(man or women) usually fall to the way side.

But to he!! with all the internet band philosiphy... I just want some brains...

hey? isnt that what we all want?????? i know face makes me happy.....................:swink: :swink:

Not me. All of the directors that I am aware of KNOW how to speak intelligently. My point is that MEN (not directors) often choose to not do so when they have an all-male audience in the name of machismo. In terms of intellect, it lessens my perception of those men when they do that. In the case of HBCU directors, we are talking about men whose credentials suggest that they have greater ability to choose more eloquent "extra words" that those of basal colloquy.

I agree with your assessment. You ARE lost on my argument. It's not about playing at all. It is about relationships. And I don't have the same types of relationships - including musical relationships - with men that I have with women.

When did this degenerate into an SU vs JSU discussion? I don't know anything about the culture of The Jukebox. As long as it works for the BOX, then that is fine with me. I did not choose to attend there, and from what you members of The BOX describe, I can see that I made the right decision FOR ME. That would not have worked FOR ME. I have experienced the culture of the SU campus and found it normal on those occasions.

As for tiring of the same WOMAN, I married the only girl that I ever dated. I met her at JSU when we were both freshmen. That was 24 years ago. I'm keeping her. As for the other women, they don't matter. Mine is more than enough for me. I love (and loved) hanging with her far more that the same ol' fellows - at practice....in class......road trips......on campus...at the altar...in labor and delivery...etc. Different locations.....ONE WOMAN. :D :D :D :D
That's O.K. DAContinent......I know you are a man of RIGHT STANDINGS and I now understand and respect your outlook on the matter. Life is more than one deminsion.

wayyyyy too much information..............where is Chuck Woollery???:)

Back