Interesting "article"....

Roar Man

I know I'm late...very late, but, here it is, or for those that have seen/read it already, here it is again.

From Foster's Online)

Tuesday, October 1, 2002

Selling Division I-AA college football is tough

Whether you?re 4-0 or 0-4 right now, selling the show of Division I-AA college football is a tough job for any athletic director these days and it?s not getting any easier.

Mike Trocchi
Staff Sports Writer
Five years after Boston University cut its football program, the questions of what a low-tier program contributes to, and takes from, a school are still being debated. Some say the indirect public relations and recruiting rewards are enough, but everyone agrees there is no financial reward or expectation of one.

That?s why changes in the way I-AA playoff football is played could make that level of gridiron action a whole lot more fun and somewhat more profitable. In its present form, I-AA football stands alone as a macabre college sports investment.

It is one of the only sports where winning won?t cure the financial ills involved. Northeastern is 4-0 and ranked in the top 10 in the ESPN/USA Today poll this week. Still, with the field and location of the school, last week?s 42-17 win over UMass last Saturday drew a mere 6,651 fans.

Former Northeastern athletic director, now the head man at UMass, Ian McCaw said the challenge of promoting Division I-AA football is presently a three-pronged task.

"The challenge is primarily marketing visibility," McCaw said. "Then, you?re going against games on a Saturday afternoon on TV like Florida-Florida State and Division I-A games like that. The third thing is, that it?s very hard to generate revenue at the I-AA level."

You can look to Maine as a hot program over the last few years with little competition, but it hasn?t changed the financial situation there. Maine interim athletic director Paul Bubb said that a school holding financial concerns too highly when it comes to I-AA football is missing the point. Maine had 6,600 in attendance for its first home game, but even an 11-1 or 10-2 season will only draw about $100,000 more in revenue for the Black Bears than would a losing campaign.

"The universities have to understand what they?re involved in when they?re invested in I-AA football," he said. "It simply doesn?t have the financial rewards." McCaw estimates that an average I-AA program in New England spends between $2 and $3 million each year.

Since cutting football, BU has built a new hockey rink and increased its competitiveness in a host of women?s sports. It cost the school $3 million a year to fund football and it received about $40,000 a year in revenues, along with $50,000 of contributions from friends and alumni, according to numbers in the school?s faculty newspaper published in 1997.

That was a $2.9 million bath the Terriers took each year. The job of AD becomes a whole lot easier and the budget becomes a little looser when you don?t have to invest so many scholarships into one program. I-AA football is a tough sell to fans. It doesn?t matter if you?re 10-2 or if you?re 3-8.

"It?s fairly expensive," said Bubb, whose Black Bears are currently ranked No. 3 in the nation. "You have a stadium that seats 10,000, not 100,000." Bubb noted that the University of Montana, which has a stadium that seats 19,000 might be one of only two I-AA schools in the country that profits or comes close to breaking even.

But instead of accepting this hopeless status, I-AA football could be tweaked to increase exposure, according to McCaw. "There are a lot of questions about the playoff system and how it works," he said. Going to places in Alabama or Louisiana for a playoff provides little in the way of marketing and promotional opportunities.

Bubb has a novel idea that?s been talked about to move the Division I-AA game right smack into the middle of the I-A bowl season between Christmas and the first week in January. "I think it?s a mistake to play the I-AA championship game before Christmas," he said. "The games that matter are after Christmas. The ones that occur before Christmas are considered less important."

Another idea is to move the game from places like Tennessee to a resort area in Florida or on the West Coast. That could bring more money to all I-AA schools and close that yawning gap between revenues and returns.

Bubb tries not to look at the current situation as a negative. "Does cross country make money?" Bubb asked. "Does volleyball? I?ve never been told we have to have an athletics department that makes money."

And even if you?re 3-0 and on the way to a winning season in the 8-3 range or 0-3 and struggling to finish 4-7, promoting Division I-AA football, five years after BU dropped its program, has got to be one of the most challenging jobs an athletic director faces today.

"You have to understand you?re not going to make money," Bubb said. "It?s beneficial to have good public relations by having a football program. If you?re successful ? and we?re up in the polls right now ? people are now talking Maine football."

Still, there may be no task tougher as an AD these days than squeezing off-the-field rewards out of Division I-AA football.

Mike Trocchi is a staff sports writer for Foster?s Daily Democrat. You may reach him at 742-4455, Ext. 5511, or by e-mail at < ...[Message truncated]

View Full Message

Options Reply

Has this "article" been posted here before??

Quote: Bubb has a novel idea that?s been talked about to move the Division I-AA game right smack into the middle of the I-A bowl season between Christmas and the first week in January.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this became a reality what impact if any would it have on the SWAC competing in the 1AA playoffs??

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I think it would have the same impact on the SWAC as it would now. When would the playoffs start? If they began mid- December where the winner of the SCG could participate and receive the automatic berth, I'm sure they would. I'm also sure other schools would try to scramble and create a conference championship game also. If they begin the 1st weekend in December basically on pushing them back a week, I think the SWAC still doesn't participate. Simply because there would not be a week to play the SCG. I don't believe the SCG is going anywhere and the BC is not going to move it's dates either. So I believe if playoffs dates were changed and they accomodated the SWAC's schedule, I'm sure they would participate. Otherwise I doubt it.

Well he said smack in the middle between xmas and the first of jan. it seems to be a no brainer to me what /how it will effect the SWAC.
We will be able to particpate wothout any question at all.

But don't look for this to happen anytime some because they will have to present it as if it was a novel idea even stronger since the SWAC has been saying that all along (atleast SU/GSU) is why they could care less to participate in the playoffs.
This is the main reason why FAMU wants to bring back the heritage bowl after their dum@ss found out that they really didn't get anymore recruits because of it
I notice that he didn't mention the bayou classic and I find that hard to believe that as an AD he doesn't know about it or have spoken with each schools AD.
Another example of not wanting to admit they were wrong. The best site I can see to play these games are (in my mind) without a doubt LA.,TX, or ALA. those are the places where football is god not in the west coast or FLA. because if your not a seminole,cane or gator you can forget statewide support :cool:

Back