Interacial Children......

Dr. Sweet NUPE

My girlfriend and I have often discussed race and interacial children. In the past in someone had a black parent and the other parent was any other race the child was considered Black. I disagree with this rational. It seems like the child is being denied the other half of themselves because of what society mainly scientist believe is correct. Why is this?

Is it because we as African Americans feel that our numbers are declining so we must count everyone who has a one black parent or has this scientifically been prooven?

This is my opinion/belief

I don't really know the rationale behind this but this is why we should all stick with our own kind. It causes too many problems for these kids. They don't know what their nationality is. :smh: They get teased at school, and they grow up dysfunctional. Look at Halle Berry.....prime example. This is part of the reason why she's having so many issues today.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
WE didn't come up with that saying, "If you're 1% black, then you're black," the ofays did, in order to keep us all separated from the "pure" white people, where both parents were of the same race.

It does seem to cause problems, though, but to each his own.

Either way, you SHOULD know your heritage. And to piggyback on what DTown said, if we didn't have that issue to deal with, then there would be no confusion.

I have to disagree D-Town. Halle issues derive from other areas other than the texture of her skin. It's only a problem if that individual allows it to be a problem. They let society forced them to choose a race. Of course now on applications, there are many races to choose from. The only category that I have seen that they could choose is "Other".

You're going to get tease growing up about something anyway. Both of my parents are black, but I still got teased about other things. What exactly is "sticking with your own kind"? My kind is the human race.

Race does not determine how an individual is or will become. If an interacial child has parents that will teach them about their heritages and let them know that they are both races then I don't see any problems.

By the way, my daughter is half Mexican and she stays with my mother-in-law during the day and she is only spoken to in Spanish. We make sure that she is exposed equally to my family and she will grow up with a knowledge of Mexican and Black heritage. If she has problems or is teased, we will deal with it when it arises but I do not forsee any major issues. :(

Originally posted by BluBlood
I have to disagree D-Town. Halle issues derive from other areas other than the texture of her skin. It's only a problem if that individual allows it to be a problem. They let society forced them to choose a race. Of course now on applications, there are many races to choose from. The only category that I have seen that they could choose is "Other".

You're going to get tease growing up about something anyway. Both of my parents are black, but I still got teased about other things. What exactly is "sticking with your own kind"? My kind is the human race.

What I meant about your own kind is your own race....now, let's not get this twisted Blu. This is my own personal opinion. I do not believe in interracial dating for various reasons that I care not to mention at this time nor place.

But to each his own.

I think because America is so race conscious that the child has to choose a race and 9 times of out 10 its black. I think its this way because of their pigmintation is black or brown or whatever. I think Halle said it best in her Oscar exceptance speech when she said her mother told her that she was "black" because that is what people will see when they look at her.

It sad:( that race is such a intragral part of american society... it race this much of an issue anywhere else in the world.....Why can't we all just be AMERICANS

Count your blessings...

Originally posted by limefree
By the way, my daughter is half Mexican and she stays with my mother-in-law during the day and she is only spoken to in Spanish.

If you ask me, that's a good thing. She will grow up bi-lingual. Especially in this country, which has a steadily growing Hispanic population, there are great benefits in knowing English and Spanish fluently. I'm not encouraging anyone to go hook up with a Spanish person just for that, but there are benefits.

The point is to try to take the best from both of your parents' backgrounds. Unfortunately, being human and in America, we have an overall image of a melting pot, but we have not truly accepted each other for our differences, and we are all made to fit in a mold eventually. I imagine that's especially hard for interracial children. It's up to parents to help them find their identity. Maybe if parents continue to encourage them to accept differences in others, true unity will come about in the next generation. Here's hoping :tup:

In respond to the poster with the daughter that is half Black and half Mexican. It is good to see your daughter learning two cultures, but are you teaching her the depths of both cultures? The Black and Spanish culture came together long before now. Back in the 7th and 8th A.D., a Northern African Nation of people, the Moors rule Spain for two centuries. By Mexicans having Spanish roots from Spain makes them somewhat half black. Maybe that explains why Blacks and Mexicans don't have any major problems with interracial matters.

Originally posted by JAG89
By Mexicans having Spanish roots from Spain makes them somewhat half black. Maybe that explains why Blacks and Mexicans don't have any major problems with interracial matters.

On a personal level I must strongly disagree with you on that. I have ran across some very racist Mexicans here in Houston. But thats another thread.

In my opinion it's more like prejudice than racism. But I understand, I lived in L. A. for awhile.

I will deal with white girls, but I doubt I'd settle down with one. There is a chance I'd settle down with a Latin chick though.

God, created onone race, the human race. As someone said, "it was the white folks that started this mess about race. Some of you may agree or disagree. But, black are some of the most prejudice people on the fae of the earth. We dislike our own people "race" for no reason. We hate "dislike" Whites, Hispanic, Koreans we just dislike everybody. And, there is no reason for it.

There is a difference. Their hatred is based on ignorance. Blacks so-called hatred is based on history and experienced. We all have witness or experienced hatred or the short end of the stick with white people. And it's human nature to dislike someone or something froma few bad experiences. As for Asians it has been our experience that they often dislike us as much as whites, so again it leads back to the comments about bad experiences. The only black people I know who have a problem with Latin people are people who know absolutely nothing about them or who live in a poor neigborhood with them where no one gets along.

Black folks defiantly can be prejudice, but it's hard to believe that Black folks could be rasict. For one to be racist, one must have the power to control others, which is something Black folks do not have. Basically it is white folks that processes this strong belief of being superior, which is racist.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Black folks defiantly can be prejudice, but it's hard to believe that Black folks could be rasict. For one to be racist, one must have the power to control others, which is something Black folks do not have. Basically it is white folks that processes this strong belief of being superior, which is racist.

That's so true. Blacks can be prejudice but not racist. Most of the prejudice comes from the racial climate in the country today

Whether they are exposed to the other half of their family lineage or not, I have yet to meet a bi-racial child who, even when raised by the white parent, considered themselves anything but Black.

Even the ones who could pass quicker than Pamela Anderson Lee, and only hang around other ofays, and have a mama with a neck redder than the stripes on the conferate flag, refer to themselves as BLACK. I never questioned it, but perhaps I might, one day.

As for dating/marrying outside anything other than a Brother, that ain't for me, but I don't fault whomever chooses to do so. To quote my daddy, "T'aint my bidness!"

:D

JAG89

Being a racist and being prejduice go hand and hand. If you are prejduice then you are a racist, perhaps not to the degree of ofrays. Believe it or not black people can be prejduice and racist, the same as whites. I do not belive you have to be in a position of authority or have power to control others, in order to be prejduice or a racist. I know this negro, who works with DOT, he is a racist not toward whites, but toward other blacks. I would even say this negro hates other blacks. Why? only God knows.

Originally posted by Vinita
Whether they are exposed to the other half of their family lineage or not, I have yet to meet a bi-racial child who, even when raised by the white parent, considered themselves anything but Black.

Even the ones who could pass quicker than Pamela Anderson Lee, and only hang around other ofays, and have a mama with a neck redder than the stripes on the conferate flag, refer to themselves as BLACK.

Hmmmmmm. I don't know about that Vinita. Some of the ones I have come across, well..........

Originally posted by H
JAG89

Being a racist and being prejduice go hand and hand. If you are prejduice then you are a racist, perhaps not to the degree of ofrays. Believe it or not black people can be prejduice and racist, the same as whites. I do not belive you have to be in a position of authority or have power to control others, in order to be prejduice or a racist. I know this negro, who works with DOT, he is a racist not toward whites, but toward other blacks. I would even say this negro hates other blacks. Why? only God knows.

I agree. I know an individual who is quite bold in telling another black that they don't want to do business with black people, period. If there is a rare occasion that an exception is made, the scutiny is totally unrealistic. However, other races have provided less than desired services, but it doesn't stop them from seeking out those other races. IMO, that is about as racist as one can get, short of violence.

Originally posted by LMBH

I agree. I know an individual who is quite bold in telling another black that they don't want to do business with black people, period. If there is a rare occasion that an exception is made, the scutiny is totally unrealistic. However, other races have provided less than desired services, but it doesn't stop them from seeking out those other races. IMO, that is about as racist as one can get, short of violence.

Now this brings about a whole nutha subject matter. I know of quite a few blacks that don't like to associate or do business with other blacks. I call most of them uppity. Ya know, once you've obtained a certain "status" and think you're too good to be bothered with others, or as the old folks so eloquently put it....you forget where you came from or think you're better than the next person.

That's another topic though.

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Dtown Jag

Now this brings about a whole nutha subject matter. I know of quite a few blacks that don't like to associate or do business with other blacks. I call most of them uppity. Ya know, once you've obtained a certain "status" and think you're too good to be bothered with others, or as the old folks so eloquently put it....you forget where you came from or think you're better than the next person.

That's another topic though.

:rolleyes:

Could it possible have to do with what Sonic98 said?

And it's human nature to dislike someone or something from a few bad experiences.

What's the definition of a racist?:confused:

Here is the definition from Bill Gates(MS BOOKSHELF)
racism

racism (r??s?z?em) noun
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.
- rac?ist adjective & noun

The American Heritage? Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition copyright ? 1992 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from InfoSoft International, Inc. All rights reserved.
It says nothing here about one having to have the power to be a racist.:confused:

Jelli, try to forget about white folks definition on racism and try to answer this question for me. Why do white folks believe that they are so pure that it only takes one single combination of their genetic code to create another white person? Basically stating that there's only one way to create a white child, which is white on white. If this is not blatantly saying my race is superior over other races, then I do not know what is. Maybe people of color should feel the same way. As a final note, I would like to quote Sister Souljah, "Two wrong does not make it right, but it damn sure make it even."

"You can see the twig in my eye, but you can not see the log in yours."

According to the Federal Government you can declare your race.

I understand what you all are saying, but it is the power and money that matters.

Back