Indiana's Black coach defeats Duke 64-63..

HORNETSWARM

Indiana's Black coach defeats Duke 74-73..

They downed this black coach when he first got the job at Indiana. They felt that the infamous Bob Knight couldn't be replaced. They said that this brother lacked the skills, qualification and technological "know-how" to coach a prominent team in the Big 10. We will cheer this brother on know matter what others say. My hat is off to him for achieving this high honor, and may Indiana go on to the last eight teams left on the planet. He beat all those teams and fans that tried to put him under or doubted his will to win. I will also be cheering for Tubby Smith of Kentucky tonight.

Indiana (74)-Duke (73).

What game were you watching?

Dayum bruh,

The score was 74-73 not 64-63... I know you excited and all, but it's not 10 minutes old and you can't get the score right.

Next week I'll understand, but right now it's 74-73....

BTW, does anyone here know if Kevin Sampson the coach of Oklahoma is a brother or not... I say yes, but what you think?

The state of Indiana may have more rednecks than Alabama. Way back in the day the klan was stronger in Indiana than it was in Alabama.

Anyway, all that Mike Davis has done is win. Not only did he coach under Bobby Knight, he played under C.M. Newton at Alabama. So he has had a lot of knowledge before coming to Indiana.

Anyway, he did something that Bobby Knight has not done in nine years, and that is gone to the Elite Eight.

BTW though I had Duke going to the final four, I wanted Indiana to win tonight. If this had been two years ago, I would have wanted Duke to win. Why? I am not a Bobby Knight fan.

Dr. J,
Kelvin Sampson is black. He is from Pembroke, NC. Played ball for his Dad at Pembroke college, which is UNC-Pembroke now. I don't know if he is from an interacial marriage like a Derek Jeter or Rod Woodson. But he is black.

Sampson maybe part Native American like the Chicago White Sox manager Jerry Manuel. He, Sampson, was born in Laurinburg or Pembroke, N.C., which is in the eastern part of the state and has a big Native American population. He played high school basketball for his father in Pembroke, N.C. and went to Pembroke State, now UNC-Pembroke.

You got Sampson, Tubby Smith, Mike Davis, and Kent State's coach also as Black coaches that are still in it. If Kent beats Pittsburg, that will guarantee at least one black coach in the final four.

Regards.

Different approach

Instead of rooting for the teams because they have a black coach, I am going for the teams whose school has the highest % of African American students. That would be Maryland, Pittsburgh, Oklanoma, & Illinois. Really Southern Illinois has the same % as Maryland, but they are in the same region. I like to see us in the classroom as well as on the court.

Dr. J: I have to admit that I did get excited after cheering for Indiana's coach. Thus, the real score was 74-73.

Here's the goat of the night!!

Let's not forget to thank Jason Williams for once again choking his arse off at the line!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

This dude has sucessfully screwed Duke out of the Regular Season ACC Title (missed free throws and turnover at the end of the Duke-Virginia game) and out of a possible back-to-back NCAA Championship with his missed free throw tonight!!

Thank you, Jason Williams!! You have single-handedly screwed your team, again!!! Thank you for making my and a few of my friends' day with by doing what you do best......choke!!!

*insert pic of Reggie Miller with his hands around his neck from playoff game with the Knicks. This is how we will classify Jason Williams from now on!*

I guess you can tell I don't like Duke.

I put the blame on Coach K. Jason Williams been missing free throws all year. But he has kept him in the games at the end. Coaches usually sit poor foul shooters down when he knows the other team will have to foul. They didn't play many close games, but the ones they were in, they lost most of them. And Williams was at the line missing throws for most of them losses.

Indiana's Coach Mike Davis

Yo fellows, one victory does not make a coach. They were within a referees' foul call of losing that game. Boozer did get fouled! on his attempt. And you got to blame the coach Davis for using all his timeouts before the end of regulation particularly with about 48 seconds when they had possession and a 3 point lead. Duke had to foul. And you also got to blame the man for not telling his players not to foul the jump shooter, and then allowing the middle man in a free throw lineup to get such good position for a put back that would've won the game. Instead, he's on his knees, back turned to his players not composed, not helping his team for precious seconds when they needed some leadership and poise.
Before we praise him, let's see what he does in the next few years.

It is good to see the black coaches represented in college basketball. I hate Duke. I'm so glad they lost, but I have disagree with yall about Jason Williams who is clearly the best player in college basketball. Robber and Alcorn Warrior, yall must have forgot how he got to the line to attempt the game tieing free throw, yall must have had yall head turned or something. If that was not a cluch three pointer under pressure, what is cluch? I can't understand how yall can down this dude. Are we talking about the same Jason Williams? Check his career stats. I will always hate duke but I have to give him his proops.

David H.

I initially thought Boozer was obviously fouled too on the put back. On the replay, though, it looked liked it was possible that he was tangled up with the Indiana player for the rebound and muscled the ball away and the shot up at the last instant.

But Refs usually stand back on plays like that when time is running out anyway. UCLA beat Cincinnati on a no-call just like that.

Robber:

I don't think Coach K thought Indiana was going to foul. They were up by four when Williams took that shot. It was that stupid play by the non-thinking Indiana player that caused the drama in the first place. Mike Davis response was Classic if you read his lips: "What the F---- is wrong with you!!!!!". I was rolling.:)

Orginally posted by TSU/BAMA

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by papatiger
I like to see us in the classroom as well as on the court.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excellent point.

That is a good point. However, I still choose to pull for black coaches as a first criteria because of job opportunities. There are still many deserving black assistant coaches in college athletics, especially football, who don't get head coaching opportunities because alumni and boosters are uncomfortable with them because of the color of their skin. They chalk it up to them being unqualified. As these alumni/boosters get more exposure to black coaches who run successful programs, others who are equally qualifed and deserving might get opportunities as well. I'm hoping the success of black coaches in basketball might open up more doors for other black coaches, especially in football and baseball.

Regards.

Mike Davis can coach. The player that fouled Jason Williams make a bad play. He should not have been that close to Williams in the first place. As for Jason, he still needs a lot of work on his game in order to be ready for the NBA to put it simply. His free throw shooting is killing his game.

As for Davis his team is a reflection of him. Most other teams would have been blown out by Duke. But Indiana kept fighting. Anyone who has played (elementary school, high school or college) knows that teams are in large part a reflection of their coaches. Though players deserve the most credit for winning games (Too many coaches are overrated.), Davis deserves some credit for last night.

papatiger, you make an excellent point.

Re: Here's the goat of the night!!

Originally posted by Alcorn Warrior
Let's not forget to thank Jason Williams for once again choking his arse off at the line!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

This dude has sucessfully screwed Duke out of the Regular Season ACC Title (missed free throws and turnover at the end of the Duke-Virginia game) and out of a possible back-to-back NCAA Championship with his missed free throw tonight!!

Thank you, Jason Williams!! You have single-handedly screwed
Some of the most twisted, limited thinking I've read in awhile.

Jason Wms. did not cost Duke that game and his play damn sho did not "sucessfully srew Duke out of the regular season ACC Title).
Last night, Duke was in a position to win at the end based on his 3 pointer and even after he missed the FT, Duke had another shot (from point blank range).

I'll agree that Wms. didn't have a good game, but he can't be blamed for the loss.

If anybody, I blame Coach K. He made no adjustments when Indiana started coming back. They were killing Duke on the boards, but K never went to a bigger line up. Dunleavy is a good player, but he's a defensive liability (too lightweight).

Clearly, Mike Davis got the best of Coach K last night. Indiana has nowhere nere the talent that Duke has. (or I should say the talent that Duke had)
I used to HATE Indiana, because of Bob Knight. But, I like 'em with Mike Davis though.

btw, the camera shots of Mike Davis near the end of the game--priceless. The look of despair on his face as he fell to his knees when Jason Wms. hit that 3 pointer, to be replaced by his leaps of joy a few seconds later!

go Indiana!
I bet Bobby Knight was mad as L!!!!
:lmao:

I agree with you guys I Don't Like Duke (or the DUKIES as I like to call them). I was rooting for Notre Dame saturday but they screwed. I'm glad Indiana kept there composure and pulled it out.
Like MH said those shots of Mike Davis at the end of the game were priceless !!!!!

After further review it was clear that Boozer cleanly got the rebound and was on his way back up when the Indiana player reached in. Unless he hit all ball on the reach in, and I seriously seriouly doubt that, Boozer was fouled.

But the Refs rarely, rarely call fouls on plays like that when the game is winding down. I'm not saying if that's a good or bad practice, but just that's just the way it is. For me, though, it was a bad thing when UCLA beat Cincinnati (messed up my brackets), a bad thing last night (messed up my brackets), but a good thing last night also (Duke lost).:)

And how about Kent State............

Regards.

Originally posted by Dr. Mac
After further review it was clear that Boozer cleanly got the rebound and was on his way back up when the Indiana player reached in. Unless he hit all ball on the reach in, and I seriously seriouly doubt that, Boozer was fouled.

To that I say "Live by the sword, die by the sword". Or to paraphrase, "Live by the bad call/no-call, die by the bad call/no-call".

For YEARS Duke has made its living by getting all the calls. Just last week against Notre Dame there was a call that may have cost ND the game. Right near the end of the game a ND player was called for charging when it was clear to me that the Duke player did not have position. It should have been a blocking foul on Duke! If that call had gone for ND, in all likelihood, ND would have won the game.

I could go back twenty years pointing out plays where no foul was called on Duke, or very petty fouls were called against Duke's opposition. Does anyone remember Christian Laetner stomping a Georgetown player while he was on the floor, and not being thrown out of the game or even having a foul called on him!!! Or the game where Duke beat UNLV in the finals when UNLV was the defending champs. No calls for UNLV, all of the calls for Duke. I could go on and on.

So yeah, the Duke player WAS fouled last night, but thats just one no-call for Duke versus hundreds of bad calls against their opposition.

Originally posted by EB
Anyway, all that Mike Davis has done is win. Not only did he coach under Bobby Knight, he played under C.M. Newton at Alabama. So he has had a lot of knowledge before coming to Indiana.

Anyway, he did something that Bobby Knight has not done in nine years, and that is gone to the Elite Eight.

Yeah, but if he has 4-5 losing games, look for him to be replaced. Dwight Mann dont play that!
*smack him with a sock like Homie tha Clown*

Were we watching the same game, MH?

Originally posted by mighty hornet
Jason Wms. did not cost Duke that game and his play damn sho did not "sucessfully srew Duke out of the regular season ACC Title).

Jason Williams just threw up that free throw last night. It was like he just go to the line and shot the free throw.
In the game against Virginia that cost them the ACC regular season title, he missed two free throws that could have tied the game back up (after Virginia went on that 21 to 2 run). He missed those free throws and Duke had to foul on of Virginia's players. That dude made his free throws and then Duke inbounded the ball to Jason Williams. He was near half court and a Virginia player stole the ball from him and time ran out. That loss gave Maryland the ACC regular season title.
What did Jason do in the Flordia State loss?

The word is out in the league now. He may be a good player but his free throw shooting is horrible.

Jason Williams will be okay in the NBA. It's not like everybody in the NBA shoot free throws well. He'll improve because he will get to the line more. He didn't cost Duke this year. Duke has two post players in Boozer and Sanders.That wasn't going to cut it. They had touble with teams that play defense and those that decent post players. Much as I hate to say it. They missed Battier(I am not a Battier fan). He helped on the boards, shot from the perimeter and played good hustle "D" Plus he had a pro body to post up when he had to. I thought Jason Williams was more deadly last year, simply because of the Battier/Boozer combo.

I am glad somebody posted what I have said for years about Duke getting calls. Even against NC and Dean Smith, Duke would get calls. The refs normally will not call a foul at the end of game. That Indiana player ran right into Jason Williams so it had to be called. Boozer also messed up because he rushed that shot. There was 4 seconds left when Williams missed the free throw. He had time to go back up strong since they did not box out. Instead he threw something up. It looked liked he got hacked, but if he had tried to take it up strong, then it may have been a more obvious foul.

Back