I'm diabetic

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Re: OMG.....

Originally posted by Dtown Jag
Dang, we have a lot of Diabetics on the board.....

I guess we could start our own forum ;) and swap recipes and excersise routines.

I have been eating more foods that are baked or broiled, you would be suprised at the amount of recipes that are simple and make great meals. I must confess that I do eat the wrong foods at least once a week and I still snack too much and at the wrong times.

Hey Fiyah....You have a good idea! I guess we were thinking alike because I wanted to start a support group (look on small talk)..... Maybe you can make this happen. Thanks for sharing.

Kenn sorry to hear about you having diabetes, but I don't think it is a good idea to participate in the study. I would definite get a second opinion.

We have unqualified folks running test on blood and making too many errors. So you want to be sure you have diabetes, but if you are positive that you have diabetes then you must make the adjustment.

My wife almost died from all the medication she was taking. So we had to really question some of the medication she was taking after the heart operation. I am not saying don't trust Doctors, but we sure read a lot now and asked to see the reports. Also, we compare them ourselves with the old reports and the new reports.

You'll be ALL RIGHT!

Kenn, I will be PRAYING for you! It is going to be hard but you will get through it just fine. I'll be 43 Wednesday and going for my annual physical and each year I hold my breath for the results of the diabetes tests. I have the other African American MALADIES though, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE (take Zestril 10 mg daily) and HIGH CHOLESTROL (take Lipitor 20 mg daily)

I too have a strong history of diabetic family members. My father is 70 and has been diabetic since he was 40. He has controlled his diabetes with diet and exercise and does not take insulin shots. This of course is phenomenal because it takes a great commitment to keep your sugar level down without the shots. He takes two tablets a day and he walks (power walks) 5-10 miles every day. He is fanatical about what he eats. And normally does not eat at other people's houses because you would not believe what folk put sugar in--spaghetti, potato salad, cornbread dressing! So you be careful where and what you eat. When out, stick to chicken, fish, salads, steamed or uncooked veggies.

Also, you know you have to limit, restrict your carb intake. No rice (brown rice is okay, just cook it about 15 min. longer), potatoes (sweet potatoes are ok, but not too many per week), white flour and white flour products(instead eat whole grain breads, but not too much of that). No carrots, beets, fruit juices (too much sugar)

Also, when you want to eat a carb like potatoes or rice for a splurge, eat it with a GREEN LEAFY vegetable. NEVER EAT A CARB ALONE! Your sugar will soar and you will get sick as a dog!

Someone said earlier that Splenda was good, I agree. Never BAKE using Sweet and Low or Equal. They give food a nasty, metal after taste. Another good sugar substitute to use for cooking is Fructose. (my mother has no regular sugar in the house. She cooks with Fructose ONLY) You can find it in most grocery stores in the "diet" food section. It is EXPENSIVE compare to regular sugar, but it taste just like it so it is worth it. It is made from fruit sugar. Be careful eating foods sweetned with MANITOL and SORBITAL. They are sugar substitutes, but some diabetics experience spikes in the sugar numbers after eating food with that. Mostly candies are made with manitol and sorbital. The best sugar free chocolate candy is Pangburn's!

If your sweet tooth is kicking your azz try
Royal No-Bake Cheesecake Lite. It comes with the filing and the crust. Throw the crust away, and use the little pie crusts in the frozen section by Pet Ritz. Bake them and let them cool and pour in the cheescake mix, put a sugar free fruit topping and you will have a great little dessert. Remember, never eat a carb or a snack, even sugar free deserts, unless you have a green leafy vegetable first and never ever eat it ALONE.

The main thing is that you will have to experiment with foods then test your sugar to see how it reacts to determine what makes your sugar high or what is all right. And you will have to determine what sugar free stuff has a bad after taste and what doesn't too. Some of it is terrible some is good.

I have some other snack ideas, let me know if you want them. My father has experimented over the last 30 years and I can tell you what sugar free stuff is good and what is nasty.

I'll give you more later. Good luck sweetie and Godspeed.

Peace and Grace,

Jackie

Man I really want to thank you guys for all the support! It really, really means a lot to me to see this. I didn't think this thread would get this type of response, but I guess it needed to be mentioned huh?

I plan to do everything I am suppose to do to control this. I'm sure it will be a challenge at first (as I have already experience), but I will overcome it.

However, just know this!... I don't care what any of you say. I am still going to have my annual Bayou Classic pre-game dinner (Friday Nite before the game if the line isn't too long) and pre-game breakfast at Mothers Resturant on Poydras! And I ain't holding back either! :p

HEY PUT THAT DAYUM BLUE BELL PRALINE ICE CREAM DOWN!

Originally posted by Kenn Rashad
However, just know this!... I don't care what any of you say. I am still going to have my annual Bayou Classic pre-game dinner (Friday Nite before the game if the line isn't too long) and pre-game breakfast at Mothers Resturant on Poydras! And I ain't holding back either! :p

Kenny Baby,

Post every item your crazy azz eats at those two meals so I can see how I can figure out how to let you eat and be happy and NOT miss the game cuz you in a dayum SUGAR coma!

Cuz imma tell you in the front, the policy my road dogs employ during football season is dis hea: WE WILL SEE 'BOUT YO AZZ AFTER THE GAME...YOU'LL BE ALL RIGHT IN THE HOSPITAL...THE NURSES WILL PAGE US IF YOUR CONDITION GETS GRAVE...AND NO SINCE IN ALL OF US MISSING THE GAME!

Seriously, the real deal about keeping your sugar number down is HOW you eat the food and WHEN you eat the food and in WHAT combination and the AMOUNT

You gotta start NOW testing yourself after you experiment eating sugar substitute laden foods and carbs and any sugars, so that by Bayou Classic time we'll know exactly how much you can get away with and not get sick. I suggest you keep a log of what, how much, eaten with what, time of day, and how you felt afterwards in 30 min. increments for about 2 hours. This is bothersome, but HELPFUL! Okay?

Remember, diabetes is culminative. You can only splurge NOW and AGAIN. Keeping strict most of the time will allow a good splurge in November.

Besides, I want you WIDE AWAKE and FEELING GOOD when them Jags roll over them Tigers this year!;)

Join the Club.......

While I don't have Diabetes, two of my Grandparents have it, and my wife's parents both have it. They live cautiously, and check their Glucose and watch their diet. My father-in-law takes Insulin injections twice a day. And I have concerns for my wife, as she gets older. Diabetes is found in virtually all black families. And that's an ominous sign. But diabetes is treatable, so follow your Doctor's suggestions. And it's good to see the love and support on this thread for you and for others living with Diabetes.

I was diagnosed with Epilepsy when I was 4. I've lived with medications my entire life, and now, at 32, I'm concerned because my 4-yr old daughter is starting to show some symptoms. She's scheduled to be tested in March. And my fingers are crossed and I'm praying that I haven't passed it on to her. I got it from my mom, and she regrets it to this day. But God only puts on us, what he knows we can stand. So I watch my tension, and stress, and take my medicine.

You'll be in our prayers, as will everybody else in our extended 'family'.....

Thanks for sharing your situation with us. The dialogue that's been generated is very helpful, and awfully reassuring. It's good to know that there are others 'walking the same path' you're on. Maybe we can keep this going, and have it be a sounding board for ideas, treatments, recipes, suggestions, etc. Or maybe just be an outlet to vent our fears and frustrations. Because I know we all have them.......

You have a place to 'lean' ........We're here.....

Antroy, Jag4life

Thanks for the heads-up on the Sweet-n-Low and other sweetners. The last fews days I have been having my morning cup of decaf coffee without anything since I was fresh out. After reading the these posts, I am more motivated to go back to my 2000 calorie diet and take charge again. Over time you tend to get careless, some times like football or basketball team will do when it gets way ahead.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, especial the article from the AMA. I always get lazy doing the winter months, because I don't like walking in the cold. I can't wait for golf season to start, it's my favorite passtime.

God bless to all diabetics, stay informed and make wise lifestyle decisions.

Downtown, how did your physical go? I hope you got a good report.

Now TJ, you wrong for that one....I thought we were better than that

Originally posted by Timbuktu Jag

Downtown, how did your physical go? I hope you got a good report.

You know my name ain't downtown....LOL

Anyway, my physical isn't until Wednesday, the 13th. I'll post a report at that time.

Thanks for the concern.....

LOL @ "Downtown" Jag! :D I think that name is going to stick with you.

Taylor-Made,

Hope all goes well with your daugher. Keep us informed of the results. A prayer just went out to you.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Thanks bruh....

Originally posted by Kenn Rashad
LOL @ "Downtown" Jag! :D I think that name is going to stick with you.

Taylor-Made,

Hope all goes well with your daugher. Keep us informed of the results. A prayer just went out to you.

Thanks for the prayer....You're in mine..

By the way, what does DTown stand for? What's the 'D'?:confused:

:D

Re: Thanks bruh....

Originally posted by Taylor-Made'90

By the way, what does DTown stand for? What's the 'D'?:confused:

:D

It only stands for the city I'm representin' right now, which is Dallas....of course others will have difference of opinion, just for the sake of doing so.:p

Originally posted by Ms. Jag4Jag
Taylor-Made,

God will see that baby through! She will be fine in Jesus's name. Amen.

I'll be leaning on the everlasting arms..........There's no greater love on Earth than the love between a father and his daughter....Jessica is my everything..................

Thanks for your prayer.......:heart:

Yeah Yeah!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Dtown Jag

It only stands for the city I'm representin' right now, which is Dallas....of course others will have difference of opinion, just for the sake of doing so.:p

Dallas holdin' it down Up In here (up in here)!!!!!!. Taylor'Made's over here holdin' it down in Valley Ranch.....:D

Kenn, did I say NO corn, cornbread, pasta...

Nothing made with white flour okay? You can buy wheat pasta, but it is so dayum nasty it taste like DIRT. Also they have wheat flour available to make stuff with, including ROUX, but it has a "gritty" taste also. And you hurry up and find a job so you will not be sitting at home TEMPTED by those carbs and sugars. :D

Taylor Made:

I will be praying for your daughter and your family. Don't feel guilty about passing down the condition to her. I tease my dad about the heart, pressure and diabetes that are waiting around the corner for me because of him! It is just a tease too because I wouldn't trade him in for a million "healthy" dads. I'm sure your friend feels the same way! Godspeed and keep the faith!

Seeing Spots,

I agree with what you're saying about white carbohydrates, but I wouldn't recommend a newly diagnosed diabetic to try to stick to a diet like that. When someone trys to quit something cold turkey there usually comes a time when they will relapse. There might be one day when he just can't take it anymore and just have to have it and go waaayyy overboard. That could be tragic.

I'd recommend that he just try to lower his carbohydrate intake instead of cutting it out altogether. Also, he needs to get a little bit of everything on the food pyramid in his diet every day. That's the way I do it and it has worked very well. I even eat fried chicken (peel off the skin because it is where 80% of the fat is), burgers and fries from time to time. The idea is to sacrifice something else in order to be able to splurge every now and then.

Originally posted by jag4life
Seeing Spots,

I agree with what you're saying about white carbohydrates, but I wouldn't recommend a newly diagnosed diabetic to try to stick to a diet like that. When someone trys to quit something cold turkey there usually comes a time when they will relapse. There might be one day when he just can't take it anymore and just have to have it and go waaayyy overboard. That could be tragic.

I'd recommend that he just try to lower his carbohydrate intake instead of cutting it out altogether. Also, he needs to get a little bit of everything on the food pyramid in his diet every day. That's the way I do it and it has worked very well. I even eat fried chicken (peel off the skin because it is where 80% of the fat is), burgers and fries from time to time. The idea is to sacrifice something else in order to be able to splurge every now and then.

That's very true, no diet should completely eliminate any of the food groups and carbs are needed for energy. That's why I told him to eat things and then test his glucose to see where his numbers are and how it affected him. And actually he has got to listen to his doctor and a dietician to REALLY get his diabetes in control. Only they will have to advise him on the range his number should be, which is why I didn't mention that. I am not diabetic, I just have a father who has been for the last 30 years and was only giving information and encouragement.

I'm not a doctor (or a nutritionist) either, and nothing I said should be construed as medical advice. I just know what food combinations are good and I know some sugar free recipes that are good with no after taste.

Just want to share some good info!

Originally posted by jag4life
I even eat fried chicken (peel off the skin because it is where 80% of the fat is), burgers and fries from time to time. The idea is to sacrifice something else in order to be able to splurge every now and then.

Man, I love you! You just made my day! When I do eat chicken it is skinless breast meat anyway. And 80% of the time when I do eat it, it is usually baked or grilled.

Dtown

Every time I see the D-town I think of downtown. I don't know why....:cool:

Taylor-made
We will keep you and your daughter in our prayers. You are right, the Lord puts no more on us than we can bear and regardless of your daughter's condition, she has loving parents to lean on and be educated by. Grace and Peace.

Seeing Spots

Keep the recipes coming... yum, yum...

Kenn,

Diabetes is something that you can live a long time with. My Grandmother is a diabetic and she will be 91 years old later this month. She has know about her condition since she was in her 40's. Her doctor put her on a rigid diet (similar to some of the ones already discussed) years ago and she has NEVER had to go to the hospital as a result of her diabetes. She checks her blood sugar on a daily basis and gets regular check-ups with her doctor. Discipline is the key when it comes to living with Diabetes. You will manage!!!

Back