If Your Religion Helps You Cope

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayRob

TigaPaw
.... with the pressures of this physical existence on this planet, I say "more power to you.

If one learns the true HISTORY of religion and WHY it was created and by whom, they'd be all the wiser.

Religion seems to be a force that helps people cope with the pains and sufferings of daily life, but one should educate him or herself in order to become a well-rounded and knowledgeable individual.

Re: If Your Religion Helps You Cope......

.... with the pressures of this physical existence on this planet, I say "more power to you.

If one learns the true HISTORY of religion and WHY it was created and by whom, they'd be all the wiser.

Religion seems to be a force that helps people cope with the pains and sufferings of daily life, but one should educate him or herself in order to become a well-rounded and knowledgeable individual.

+1.

Signed Zeus, Athena, Mercury, Apollo, Rah the Sun god, et al. :tup:

common sense with religion is good, religion without common sense is dangerous!

common sense with religion is good, religion without common sense is dangerous!
Common sense with religion is not always so good, especially when "common sense" is not well defined and there are too many religions. But congrats to those who have experienced the difference between religion with man, and a relationship with God.

Until you experience a true relationship with God, you'll waist time arguing religious topics all day. And there IS a difference between those 2!

Common sense with religion is not always so good, especially when "common sense" is not well defined and there are too many religions. But congrats to those who have experienced the difference between religion with man, and a relationship with God.

Until you experience a true relationship with God, you'll waist time arguing religious topics all day. And there IS a difference between those 2!
:tup:

Which "god" are you referring to?

I was actually referring to "God". I don't think you know Him...

Perhaps I don't care to, but I have to know which "god" you're referring to in order to know whether I know "him" or not, so which god are you referring to?
In addition to the above question, how do you know that this particular "god" you're referring to is the "one true god"?

So there are two questions to ponder on.

Perhaps I don't care to, but I have to know which "god" you're referring to in order to know whether I know "him" or not, so which god are you referring to?
In addition to the above question, how do you know that this particular "god" you're referring to is the "one true god"?

So there are two questions to ponder on.
In the words of Keyshawn Johnson
C'mon Mayne!

In the words of Keyshawn Johnson
C'mon Mayne!

The question wasn't directed to you. You've had plenty of times to answer such a question in a direct way, but for some odd reason you shy away from it with the usual rhetorical response like, "Cmon mayne".:smh:

Now nevaehinvesting, here's your chance to voice your opinion.

The question wasn't directed to you. You've had plenty of times to answer such a question in a direct way, but for some odd reason you shy away from it with the usual rhetorical response like, "Cmon mayne".:smh:

C'mon Mayne! I say that because debating with me on the prayer board for the next few days about "gods" and "God" will be unfruitful. You've done that regularly here for pages and pages with Christians and have rejected God. What will voicing my opinion or answering your question do for you?

He that worketh deceit shall not dwell within my house: he that telleth lies shall not tarry in my sight. Ps 101:7

I have answered this REPEATEDLY: Jehovah, El Shaddai, Elohyim, Adonai, El Elyon, Alpha & Omega, etc. You have REPEATEDLY expressed your dissatisfaction and unbelief.

C'mon Mayne! I say that because debating with me on the prayer board for the next few days about "gods" and "God" will be unfruitful. You've done that regularly here for pages and pages with Christians and have rejected God. What will voicing my opinion or answering your question do for you?
Thanks.

Nevaehinesting, out of due respect, I'd rather ask the question and not assume. I understand if you can't or don't want to answer the question, but I at least wanted to give you the opportunity to do so. I try and do that with everyone.

How will debating be unfruitful? Do you know "verything" already? Are you fearful of learning something you didn't know?

I welcome debate because I'm confident in what I know and I can back it up with facts. On the other hand, if I can learn something I didn't know before, I'd say that the debate was fruitful. It's too bad that you'll not grant me the opportunity to perhaps learn something I don't know.

The apostle Paul didn't seem to have a problem with hit because the bible said he did it on a daily basis. Accordng to the bible, he never shied away from it. In fact, he seemed to embrace debate, perhaps because he was confident in what he was talking about. Christ allegedly debated with the Pharisees. He didn't run from it, he embraced it and supposedly grew from it.

At times it's confusing that some of the followers of Christ and Paul are doing the exact opposite of the example they set out of fear that they'll learn something new that they didn't know before.
If Paul was here today, I couldn't imagine him running away from a respectful debate.

Last edited:

He that worketh deceit shall not dwell within my house: he that telleth lies shall not tarry in my sight. Ps 101:7

I have answered this REPEATEDLY: Jehovah, El Shaddai, Elohyim, Adonai, El Elyon, Alpha & Omega, etc. You have REPEATEDLY expressed your dissatisfaction and unbelief.

Thanks.

You answered the question about who your "god" is. That was easy. You never answered the second question, which was much more difficult. It was, "how do you know that the "god" you worship is the "one true god?"

It's an honest question that deserves an honest answer....from anyone. If someone asked me a question, I'd do all I could to answer it.

You answered the question about who your "god" is. That was easy. You never answered the second question, which was much more difficult. It was, "how do you know that the "god" you worship is the "one true god?"

It's an honest question that deserves an honest answer....from anyone. If someone asked me a question, I'd do all I could to answer it.
Let me answer this again for you. Please don't miss it this time.

His record proves Him to be true. Precept upon precept; line upon line; line upon line.

Ps 138 KJV

1 I will praise thee with my whole heart: before the gods will I sing praise unto thee. 2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name. 3 In the day when I cried thou answeredst me, and strengthenedst me with strength in my soul. 4 All the kings of the earth shall praise thee, O Lord, when they hear the words of thy mouth. 5 Yea, they shall sing in the ways of the Lord: for great is the glory of the Lord. 6 Though the Lord be high, yet hath he respect unto the lowly: but the proud he knoweth afar off. 7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou wilt revive me: thou shalt stretch forth thine hand against the wrath of mine enemies, and thy right hand shall save me. 8 The Lord will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O Lord, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands.​
JayRob, if you ever push past what I or any other man says and trust God simply for what he has said of Himself, you will come into a completely new area of enlightenment that will transform you entirely. I have been praying this very thing for you since I read you first post and will continue to do so.

Nevaehinesting, out of due respect, I'd rather ask the question and not assume. I understand if you can't or don't want to answer the question, but I at least wanted to give you the opportunity to do so. I try and do that with everyone.

How will debating be unfruitful? Do you know "verything" already? Are you fearful of learning something you didn't know?

I welcome debate because I'm confident in what I know and I can back it up with facts. On the other hand, if I can learn something I didn't know before, I'd say that the debate was fruitful. It's too bad that you'll not grant me the opportunity to perhaps learn something I don't know.

The apostle Paul didn't seem to have a problem with hit because the bible said he did it on a daily basis. Accordng to the bible, he never shied away from it. In fact, he seemed to embrace debate, perhaps because he was confident in what he was talking about. Christ allegedly debated with the Pharisees. He didn't run from it, he embraced it and supposedly grew from it.

At times it's confusing that some of the followers of Christ and Paul are doing the exact opposite of the example they set out of fear that they'll learn something new that they didn't know before.
If Paul was here today, I couldn't imagine him running away from a respectful debate.
I know Paul debated 'some' but after so much debate about the SAME THING it become meaningless arguments. That's why Matt 10:14 says if someone just won't listen to the Truth, then dust off your feet and move on to someone else.

You don't waste time on people who have had the Truth told to them 1000's of times, on 100's of threads, by 10s of posters, about the same 1 true God. That stopped being fruitful a long time ago. Now just arguments. Example: just watch your response to this post...

Time to dust off our feet. God will touch your heart.

Though you reject answers.... the answer to this is Faith. You don't have to be able to logicaly explain or prove it's power to someone in order to have it.

A preacher once said Faith is like rhythm. You either have it or you don't. If you have it, you'll use it everyday. If you don't have it, no explanation will help.

Our faith gives us a relationship with God. Dialog. I know JayRob exists because we talk. I know dacontinent exist because we talk. I know God exist because we talk. List the gods that you talk to and have a relationship with and we'll compare them to our God. After identifying yours and ours, lets see which one is true.

Ok, lis yours in your next post

1. _____

2. _____

3. _____

..or do you not have / serve any god???

dacontinent [QUOTE said:
Let me answer this again for you. Please don't miss it this time.
His record proves Him to be true. Precept upon precept; line upon line; line upon line.

Dacon, if you're referring to the bible, then I must tell you that it's full of inaccurate and unfulfilled prophecies which never came to pass.

Here are a few:
--The prophecy seems further not to apply to Jesus, for it says that the Messiah "will be ruler over Israel". Jesus was not any ruler over Israel. In fact, he himself is supposed to have denied that his kingdom was of this world (John 18:36). Also, the ruler is to make Israel a secure place to live (Mic 5:4), but that certainly did not happen. It is understandable why Jews, reading Micah, believe that their Messiah has not yet come.
--Another alleged prophecy that was claimed in Matthew 1:22-23 to have been fulfilled by Jesus is based on Isaiah 7:14, which is said to predict a certain virgin birth. But there are many problems with that. As a matter of fact, Isaiah 7:14 was fulfilled under King Ahaz and has nothing to do with Jesus.
--According to Ge 2:17, Adam will die the same day that he eats the fruit, but that did not come about, since, according to Ge 5:5, Adam lived to age 930. [Note that the same Hebrew word for "die" is used as elsewhere in the Old Testament, standing for physical death.] There's no documented evidence of humans living to be 500, 600, 700, 800 and 900 plus years of age except in the bible.
--According to Ge 4:12,14, Cain will be a fugitive and a vagabond, and constantly subject to assassination, but that did not come about, for, according to Ge 4:16-17, Cain had a wife and family, and lived in the same area all his life, and built a city.
--Jer 34:5 prophesied that Zedekiah will die in peace, but according to 2Ki 25:7 and Jer 52:10-11, that did not happen. Instead, he saw his sons killed, was carried off in chains, blinded, and eventually died in prison.

The statement of precept upon precept is highly flawed. Precepts must be accurate and reliable in order to be precepts.

Ps 138 KJV

1 I will praise thee with my whole heart: before the gods will I sing praise unto thee. 2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name. 3 In the day when I cried thou answeredst me, and strengthenedst me with strength in my soul. 4 All the kings of the earth shall praise thee, O Lord, when they hear the words of thy mouth. 5 Yea, they shall sing in the ways of the Lord: for great is the glory of the Lord. 6 Though the Lord be high, yet hath he respect unto the lowly: but the proud he knoweth afar off. 7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, thou wilt revive me: thou shalt stretch forth thine hand against the wrath of mine enemies, and thy right hand shall save me. 8 The Lord will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O Lord, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands.

What does this prove. Muslims worship and praise their "god" in just the same fashion, but that's no proof that he's the one true god. As a matter of fact, both the Christian and Muslim "god" is the SAME god. LOL!!

JayRob, if you ever push past what I or any other man says and trust God simply for what he has said of Himself, you will come into a completely new area of enlightenment that will transform you entirely. I have been praying this very thing for you since I read you first post and will continue to do so.

Are you asking me to blindly trust in a "being" who supposedly inspired a book that's riddled with historical inaccuracies, unfulfilled prophecies, plagiarized writings from previous religions he himself labelled as pagan. Why would I trust in a deity who contradicts his own scientific laws when he supposedly created those same laws? Why would I want to believe in such a deity? LOL!!

To your question about why did Adam live more than 900 years even though God told him he would die the same day after sinning against him.

God kept his promise. In the bible it is written that a day to the Lord is equivalent to 1,000 years. Adam died before reaching 1,000 years old.

nevaehinvesting [QUOTE said:
I know Paul debated 'some' but after so much debate about the SAME THING it become meaningless arguments. That's why Matt 10:14 says if someone just won't listen to the Truth, then dust off your feet and move on to someone else.

What truth are you referring to? Proven scientific, archaeological, historical evidence or words from a book just because some say its the truth?
Paul commanded his followers in 1 Thess. to "prove all things". Some folks on here would rather just believe mere words than prove that those words are true. They have that right.

You don't waste time on people who have had the Truth told to them 1000's of times, on 100's of threads, by 10s of posters, about the same 1 true God. That stopped being fruitful a long time ago. Now just arguments. Example: just watch your response to this post...

Time to dust off our feet. God will touch your heart.

You guys keep saying something is the "truth", but you haven't shown simple evidence to support it. Just saying something is the truth is not going to cut it. I need proof. Simply saying one is going to "dust off his feet" is an ungraceful way of bowing out of a debate one really don't want to be part of.

Just saying something is the truth or just saying that this "god" is the "one true god" isn't enough. Any religion can make that claim about their god. I simply asked what makes your god the one true god? There's no malice or ill intent, I simply want to know.

To your question about why did Adam live more than 900 years even though God told him he would die the same day after sinning against him.

God kept his promise. In the bible it is written that a day to the Lord is equivalent to 1,000 years. Adam died before reaching 1,000 years old.

Actually it says it's "AS", not "IS", but AS a thousand years. Adam did not die on the same 24 hour day he sinned. In THE day. In all of the Old Testament, a day is NEVER seen as being a thousand years.
The Hebrew word for "day" in Genesis is "yom" and guess what? It ALWAYS means a 24 hour period. To claim that it's something else hold no supporting evidence.

--If I put any merit into your theory that a day was a thousand years, then Adam was literally 930,000 years old before he died.
--If a day means more than 24-hour period, then how are we to interpret the following verses, as well as scores of others? “Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the Sabbath. . . . in it thou shalt not work... For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth… and rested the seventh day” (Exodus 20:9-11).
If I went by your theory of a day being a thousand years, it's safe to say that it took the biblical god 7,000 years to complete creation and rest.

In addition to the above, the following is a CHRISTIAN AUTHOR who admits that the word yom does mean a 24 hour period in the creation account:

"The Hebrew word for ‘day’ is ‘yom’ and this word can occasionally be used to mean an indefinite period of time, if the content warrants. In the overwhelming preponderance of its occurrences in the O.T., however, it means a literal day… Still further, the plural form of the word (Hebrew 'yamim') is used over 700 times in the O.T. and always, without exception, refers to literal ‘days.’" (The Bible Has the Answers, Henry Morris, p. 94).

nevaehinvesting [QUOTE said:
Though you reject answers.... the answer to this is Faith. You don't have to be able to logicaly explain or prove it's power to someone in order to have it.

A preacher once said Faith is like rhythm. You either have it or you don't. If you have it, you'll use it everyday. If you don't have it, no explanation will help.

Our faith gives us a relationship with God. Dialog. I know JayRob exists because we talk. I know dacontinent exist because we talk. I know God exist because we talk. List the gods that you talk to and have a relationship with and we'll compare them to our God. After identifying yours and ours, lets see which one is true.

In other words, there's no credible evidence you can list. Just a belief system of faith you were taught perhaps from birth? This is no different than any Muslim who has faith in his god or any Hindu who has faith in his god.

Ok, lis yours in your next post
..or do you not have / serve any god???

As far as me serving any specific god, I don't bother myself with such man-made burdens (and they ARE burdens), because I know where and whence those man-made gods originated from and why.

I do however believe in a higher power for obvious reasons and I believe in treating my neighbor as I'd want to be treated.
This has nothing to do with associating myself with any entity from man-made religions.
Happiness and joy comes not from following man-made religions and man-made gods, it stems from treating others with love and respect while at the same time trying to be the best person one can be while one is in this physical body.

There's so much more to our existence than man-made religion offers. As a matter of fact, religion is perhaps the most divisive force known to man. Even within the Christian religion, there are massive divisions. There are more than 30,000 denominations within the Christian religion alone. I care to have no parts of such divisions.

Actually it says it's "AS", not "IS", but AS a thousand years. Adam did not die on the same 24 hour day he sinned. In THE day. In all of the Old Testament, a day is NEVER seen as being a thousand years.
The Hebrew word for "day" in Genesis is "yom" and guess what? It ALWAYS means a 24 hour period. To claim that it's something else hold no supporting evidence...
Er ... Kendrick ... what JayRob knows but won't write here is that death began the day the Adam sinned...just like God told him.

Er ... Kendrick ... what JayRob knows but won't write here is that death began the day the Adam sinned...just like God told him.

Yep. If Adam never sins, there then would have been no need for God to use Jesus to sacrifice himself for all humanity down the road.

Dacon, if you're referring to the bible, then I must tell you that it's full of inaccurate and unfulfilled prophecies which never came to pass.

Here are a few:
I think you really do like playing to an audience. So...(hopefully for the last time, though I should know better by now)

--The prophecy seems further not to apply to Jesus, for it says that the Messiah "will be ruler over Israel". Jesus was not any ruler over Israel. In fact, he himself is supposed to have denied that his kingdom was of this world (John 18:36). Also, the ruler is to make Israel a secure place to live (Mic 5:4), but that certainly did not happen. It is understandable why Jews, reading Micah, believe that their Messiah has not yet come.
Kids in the kindergarten Sunday School class know to read the whole book and not stop in Chapter 1 of Acts. JayRob knows that, too. The end of the book shows Messiah's reign over Israel with a new Earth and a new Jerusalem. It is no wonder that 144K Jews will join Him in the end.

--Another alleged prophecy that was claimed in Matthew 1:22-23 to have been fulfilled by Jesus is based on Isaiah 7:14, which is said to predict a certain virgin birth. But there are many problems with that. As a matter of fact, Isaiah 7:14 was fulfilled under King Ahaz and has nothing to do with Jesus.
Unfortunately for your argument, since the birth produced during King Ahaz did not fulfill the other prophecies of Messiah, the Jews continued to look for Him. The apparent reason they did not believe in Jesus is that He did not at the time of His passion save Himself and overthrow the Roman occupation. They looked past His primary purpose: our redemption. You seem to have done the same.

--According to Ge 2:17, Adam will die the same day that he eats the fruit, but that did not come about, since, according to Ge 5:5, Adam lived to age 930. [Note that the same Hebrew word for "die" is used as elsewhere in the Old Testament, standing for physical death.] There's no documented evidence of humans living to be 500, 600, 700, 800 and 900 plus years of age except in the bible.
See my previous post.

--According to Ge 4:12,14, Cain will be a fugitive and a vagabond, and constantly subject to assassination, but that did not come about, for, according to Ge 4:16-17, Cain had a wife and family, and lived in the same area all his life, and built a city.
And how many times must we cover this? I guess this is your playing to a new audience.

Gen 4:13-15 KJV

13 And Cain said unto the Lord, My punishment is greater than I can bear. 14 Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me. 15 And the Lord said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the Lord set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.

Of course there would have been a bounty on head of Cain as a fratricide murderer.

--Jer 34:5 prophesied that Zedekiah will die in peace, but according to 2Ki 25:7 and Jer 52:10-11, that did not happen. Instead, he saw his sons killed, was carried off in chains, blinded, and eventually died in prison...
And why was this? Go ahead ... read Chapters 37, 38, and 52. I dare you.

The statement of precept upon precept is highly flawed. Precepts must be accurate and reliable in order to be precepts.

What does this prove. Muslims worship and praise their "god" in just the same fashion, but that's no proof that he's the one true god. As a matter of fact, both the Christian and Muslim "god" is the SAME god. LOL!!
YOU prove that the Bible is right.
Rom 8:5-8 KJV

5 For they {JayRobs of the world} that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

Even an idiot who reads both the Bible and the Quoran knows that Allah and Jehovah are not the same.

Are you asking me to blindly trust in a "being" who supposedly inspired a book that's riddled with historical inaccuracies, unfulfilled prophecies, plagiarized writings from previous religions he himself labelled as pagan. Why would I trust in a deity who contradicts his own scientific laws when he supposedly created those same laws? Why would I want to believe in such a deity? LOL!!
Nah. I pray that your eyes come wide open so you can really see the truth of the Word of God, that's the Bible.

Now...what does all this have to do with coping: Absolutely Nothing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back