If You Were A College Hoops Coach....

pbla

Focus
What Would Be Your Strategy On Beating Duke?

1.Trying to stop Duke's attack is like picking your poison. They are good on the inside as well as the outside. So that being said, I would go with stopping their outside shooting and especially their 3 point shooters, with a MAN to MAN defense the whole game. I know this may be tiring for the players but they will just have to suck it up.

2. To neutralize Duke's rebounding strength,I would tell my players take ALL shots within the 5 foot range of the basket,preferabally off the glass. I would want my team to take the 95% to 100% shot at least 90% of the time.

3. I would tell my players to play Duke passing lanes aggresively, the purpose, to destroy their rhythm. Of course this would open my team up for backdoor cuts... but so what, this is what I want Duke to do.

4. I would drilll my team into passing the ball with short passing lanes(which may have my team for double teams because of spacing, but hopefully my teams's atleticisim can offset that) OR come to the ball when the ball is being passed to you. This way Duke will not have a chance to intercept the ball because of long passing lanes.

Of course there is no perfect offense and defense, but you got to go with something that would put the percentages in your favor.

aint none of that gone work lol

I would make my sorriest players start ish with Dukes best players, so one of Dukes players would throw a punch and get Dukes starters put out the game. Yall may laugh but I saw it done in a high school game and it worked to perfection.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by DAHILL

I would make my sorriest players start ish with Dukes best players, so one of Dukes players would throw a punch and get Dukes starters put out the game. Yall may laugh but I saw it done in a high school game and it worked to perfection.

Why not use the non-starters and play the first 3 minutes putting bodies on them. :D

Originally posted by pbla
What Would Be Your Strategy On Beating Duke?

1.Trying to stop Duke's attack is like picking your poison. They are good on the inside as well as the outside. So that being said, I would go with stopping their outside shooting and especially their 3 point shooters, with a MAN to MAN defense the whole game. I know this may be tiring for the players but they will just have to suck it up.

2. To neutralize Duke's rebounding strength,I would tell my players take ALL shots within the 5 foot range of the basket,preferabally off the glass. I would want my team to take the 95% to 100% shot at least 90% of the time.

3. I would tell my players to play Duke passing lanes aggresively, the purpose, to destroy their rhythm. Of course this would open my team up for backdoor cuts... but so what, this is what I want Duke to do.

4. I would drilll my team into passing the ball with short passing lanes(which may have my team for double teams because of spacing, but hopefully my teams's atleticisim can offset that) OR come to the ball when the ball is being passed to you. This way Duke will not have a chance to intercept the ball because of long passing lanes.

Of course there is no perfect offense and defense, but you got to go with something that would put the percentages in your favor.

All you have to do is penatrate and make their big man foul you. If you do that you will have no problems on offense. Their aren't any other shot blockers on their team besides Williams.

If you want to stop their offense, you should run a 2-3 zone(Syracuse ran it to perfection). Only run the 2-3 zone if you have the size (6'3 to 6'4) and a wing span of 7 feet. That would force Duke into penatrate in the lane and Duhon never passes the ball when he drives so a charge would work in that zone.

If you don't have big guards, try man-to-man and have someone bother JJ Redick all game. Put a hand in his face.

I can't think of a way to stop Deng. He will get his points because he is really good.

Re: Re: If You Were A College Hoops Coach....

Originally posted by EyEoFtHeTiGeR
All you have to do is penatrate and make their big man foul you. If you do that you will have no problems on offense. Their aren't any other shot blockers on their team besides Williams.

If you want to stop their offense, you should run a 2-3 zone(Syracuse ran it to perfection). Only run the 2-3 zone if you have the size (6'3 to 6'4) and a wing span of 7 feet. That would force Duke into penatrate in the lane and Duhon never passes the ball when he drives so a charge would work in that zone.

If you don't have big guards, try man-to-man and have someone bother JJ Redick all game. Put a hand in his face.

I can't think of a way to stop Deng. He will get his points because he is really good.

LOL at DahILL.

I would use an aggressive 3-2 zone. With the 3 players out playing the passing lanes aggresively. Duke is dangerous when they get in their rhythym. An aggresive 3-2 zone would slow them down skipping the pass around the key.

Originally posted by DAHILL

Have you taken a look at a typical Duke player. They look like the 98 pound weakling getting sand kicked in his face in the old Charles Atlas ads. Duke knows that if they start a fight they will get their azz waxed. They are too disiplined to do something like that. All they would do is ignore you and use that sorry azz scrub to help blow you away. What you will need to do is make sure your starters don't loose their cool when the calls don't go your way (and you can bet your mommy's rent money the calls will go Dukes way).

I think it will be close in the first half

In fact, the SWAC might win this game and it will soon lead to a large federal investigation into point shaving and Duke players.

Originally posted by enswaclopedia
All they would do is ignore you and use that sorry azz scrub to help blow you away.

lmaoooooo....some schools let their trainers and student stat person/managers dress up for NCAA games.... I wonder if they will get any playing time.

I know AAMU use to always let the managers dress out for Senior night (if they were a senior)... then at the end of the game when AAMU got fouled, Pettaway would make the player that got fouled act like he was hurt so the managers could get in the game and shoot free throws just to say they scored some points.

It all starts with taking away the perimeter shot...This year's squad is a bit shaky because not everybody on the perimeter is as deadly as reddick is. UMD (as well as all the rest of the squads that Beat Dook tis season) played in the pocket defense on Reddick and forced him to make plays off of the dribble.

Luol is a great playing the 3, but you can stick a big body on him in the half-court and kinda nutralize him a bit.

the real key is Shelden Williams, though...If you let him get started early inside, it opens up everything for the perimeter folks. people start helping on him and Luol and it opens up outside lookes for everyone else.

Daniel Ewing is good, but a bit overrated. Good off the dribble, but gets discouraged when a physical defender gets in his pocket.

Back