If you bank with washington mutual...

unknown

You may want to be considering moving your funds to another bank asap. Dont know if yall are following this on MSNBC but their stock is down 32% and they may be following the trend of IndyMac pretty soon. People are lining up at WaMU's out here withdrawing their money. It's gettin real in the field...and yea they're FDIC insured...but what the FDIC doesnt tell you is that they have up to 95 years to pay you back. Yes, 95 years.

You may want to be considering moving your funds to another bank asap. Dont know if yall are following this on MSNBC but their stock is down 32% and they may be following the trend of IndyMac pretty soon. People are lining up at WaMU's out here withdrawing their money. It's gettin real in the field...and yea they're FDIC insured...but what the FDIC doesnt tell you is that they have up to 95 years to pay you back. Yes, 95 years.

And they only insure up to $100k in your account, so if you have a joint account and it's over $100k total, you need to open up another account.

True. I'm considering a swiss bank account because clearly the US IS SPEEDING towards a depression.

I read this yesterday.
Analysts Say More Banks Will Fail

As home prices continue to decline and loan defaults mount, federal regulators are bracing for dozens of American banks to fail over the next year.

But after a large mortgage lender in California collapsed late Friday, Wall Street analysts began posing two crucial questions: Just how many banks might falter? And, more urgently, which one could be next?

The nation?s banks are in far less danger than they were in the late 1980s and early 1990s, when more than 1,000 federally insured institutions went under during the savings-and-loan crisis. The debacle, the greatest collapse of American financial institutions since the Depression, prompted a government bailout that cost taxpayers about $125 billion.

But the troubles are growing so rapidly at some small and midsize banks that as many as 150 out of the 7,500 banks nationwide could fail over the next 12 to 18 months, analysts say. Other lenders are likely to shut branches or seek mergers.

?Everybody is drawing up lists, trying to figure out who the next bank is, No. 1, and No. 2, how many of them are there,? said Richard X. Bove, the banking analyst with Ladenburg Thalmann, who released a list of troubled banks over the weekend. ?And No. 3, from the standpoint of Washington, how badly is it going to affect the economy??

Many investors are on edge after federal regulators seized the California lender, IndyMac Bank, one of the nation?s largest savings and loans, last week. With $32 billion in assets, IndyMac, a spinoff of the Countrywide Financial Corporation, was the biggest American lender to fail in more than two decades.

Now, as the Bush administration grapples with the crisis at the nation?s two largest mortgage finance companies, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, a rush of earnings reports in the coming days and weeks from some of the nation?s largest financial companies are likely to provide more gloomy reminders about the sorry state of the industry.

The future of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac is vital to the banks, savings and loans and credit unions, which own $1.3 trillion of securities issued or guaranteed by the two mortgage companies. If the mortgage giants ever defaulted on those obligations, banks might be forced to raise billions of dollars in additional capital.

The large institutions set to report results this week, including Citigroup and Merrill Lynch, are in no danger of failing, but some are expected to report more multibillion-dollar write-offs.

But time may be running out for some small and midsize lenders. They vary in size and location, but their common woe is the collapsed real estate market and souring mortgage loans. Most of these banks are far smaller than the industry giants that have drawn so much scrutiny from regulators and investors.

Still, only six lenders have failed so far this year, including IndyMac. In 1994, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation listed 575 banks that it considered to be troubled. As of this spring, the agency was worried about just 90 banks. That number may go up in August, when the government releases an updated list.

?Failed banks are a lagging indicator, not a leading indicator,? said William Isaac, who was chairman of the F.D.I.C. in the early 1980s and is now the chairman of the Secura Group, a finance consulting firm in Virginia. ?So you will see more troubled, more failed banks this year.?

Source

Alabama Resident's.
Have ya'll seen peopole making a run on REGION's Headquarter's over there?
Let me know so I can withdraw all $.83 out of my account's. :lol:

Seriously.
Any rumbling's over there cause thing's are cool and quiet here.:pimp:

Well this is one thing my broke azz ain't got to worry about. :lol: Now if this means i ain't got to pay my credit card no more than let me know. :lol:

Well this is one thing my broke azz ain't got to worry about. :lol: Now if this means i ain't got to pay my credit card no more than let me know. :lol:
Why was I saying the same thing, while watching all this drama about these banks, on the news. **fell out** :lmao:

....I wonder how that works for real?

If you owe a bank money from a loan, and the bank goes out of business; do you still gotta pay the loan back?

"Snake"

ummmm unknown, beans, Psi, CEE (and any other Ga folks who may post on this thread)
Yall might wanna be careful what yall post
:lol:

I saw this in the AJC this past wknd. (When I saw it, I remembered this thread and LMAO) :lol::lol:

Bad-mothing banks? Beware

False statements could break law

By Russell Grantham
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/19/08

In case you're wondering whether growing pressure on the nation's financial institutions could cause your neighborhood bank to crack, you might want to keep it to yourself.

That's the message of little-known statutes on Georgia's and many other states' law books that threaten fines and imprisonment for falsely stating that an individual bank is in financial trouble or is about to fail.

Georgia's law prohibits false statements about a bank's assets or liabilities or fibbing about its "solvency or ability to meet its obligations or as to its soundness." Likewise, the law bars verbal or written statements that incorrectly "cast suspicion upon its ... ability to meet its deposits."

Infractions are a misdemeanor in many states, but Georgia's statute sets a higher penalty: up to a $10,000 fine or one to five years in prison. It provides an option to prosecute an infraction as a misdemeanor.

The laws have been little used since they were enacted to head off the numerous runs on banks that occurred during the 1930s.

"It's a very common law dating from the Depression," said Walt Moeling, an attorney with Atlanta law firm Powell Goldstein who represents the Georgia Bankers Association. "I don't think it's ever been used to prosecute somebody," he said of Georgia's law.

But such laws could be more likely to come into play these days, as scores of banks have landed on bank regulators' confidential worry lists.

Last week, California mortgage lender IndyMac Bancorp was taken over by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., becoming one of the largest financial institution failures in U.S. history. Some people blamed U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) for precipitating the run on the institution by releasing a letter in which he had urged bank regulators to take steps to head off IndyMac's collapse. Schumer countered that the failure was caused by IndyMac's mounting loan losses and regulators' inaction, not by his words.

That dispute may be "testing these principles at the national level," Moeling said.

If a similar scenario occurred in Georgia, a court would have to sort out the truth. A person would only be liable if a court or jury determined that his or her statements were false.

"It's based on falsity," Moeling said. "It's like libel or slander. Truth is a defense."
:D

ummmm unknown, beans, Psi, CEE (and any other Ga folks who may post on this thread)
Yall might wanna be careful what yall post
:lol:

I saw this in the AJC this past wknd. (When I saw it, I remembered this thread and LMAO) :lol::lol:

:D

Man those Gawga boys are ready. :lol: They ain't gone never change. :lol:

Looks like there is an update to this story.

WaMu stock continues plunge
Thursday, September 11, 2008

WASHINGTON ? Shares of Washington Mutual Inc. continued a perilous plunge on Thursday as anxiety grew on Wall Street over the financial stability of the nation?s largest thrift and its options for survival.

WaMu stock dropped 39 cents, or 16.8 percent, to $1.93 in morning trading, after diving 29.7 percent on Wednesday to a 17-year low of $2.32.

Wall Street?s edginess over the fate of major financial firms also was fanned by Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.?s plans announced Wednesday to sell a majority stake in its investment management unit, spin off its commercial real estate assets and slash its dividend. The nation?s fourth-largest investment bank also said it lost $3.9 billion during its fiscal third quarter.

The company, like many others on Wall Street, has suffered from bad bets on mortgage securities and other risky assets and has seen its stock price drop about 90 percent this year.

WaMu, likewise, has seen its market value wither, as it battles rising mortgage delinquencies and defaults. Its shares have fallen more than 90 percent since early July of last year, right before the rapid erosion in the credit markets began.

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/stories/2008/09/11/washington_mutual.html

Rest of the Story

JPMorgan buys WaMu
In the biggest bank failure in history, JPMorgan Chase will acquire massive branch network and troubled assets from Washington Mutual for $1.9 billion.
By David Ellis and Jeanne Sahadi, CNNMoney.com staff writers
Last Updated: September 26, 2008: 10:20 AM ET
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- JPMorgan Chase acquired the banking assets of Washington Mutual late Thursday after the troubled thrift was seized by federal regulators, marking the biggest bank failure in the nation's history and the latest stunning twist in the ongoing credit crisis.

Under the deal, JPMorgan Chase will acquire all the banking operations of WaMu, including $307 billion in assets and $188 billion in deposits.

To put the size of WaMu in context, its assets are equal to about two-thirds of the combined book value assets of all 747 failed thrifts that were sold off by the Resolution Trust Corp. - the former government body that handled the S&L crisis from 1989 through 1995.

In exchange for scooping up WaMu, JPMorgan Chase (JPM, Fortune 500) will pay approximately $1.9 billion to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation.

Separately, JPMorgan announced Thursday that it plans to raise $8 billion in additional capital through the sale of stock as part of the deal. The bank expanded the offering to $10 billion on Friday.

The acquisition is JPMorgan Chase's second major purchase this year following the mid-March acquisition of investment bank Bear Stearns, a deal that was also engineered by the government.

"We think it is a great thing for our company," JPMorgan Chase Chairman and CEO Jamie Dimon said in a conference call with investors late Thursday night.

I'm glad JPMorgan Chase came to their rescue. An article I read said that if the FDIC would have bailed out WAMU, it would have gone for broke!

Back