If you are a band, not members of the SWAC or MEAC, you get looked over many times for the top spots

Oklamarine

CLICK ON LINK
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9vHZ6UATvg

Indulgence Suffocations is a harmful concept and needs to be air out in the HBCU band world. The glorification in HBCU BAND poll ranking of larger size band programs at the expense of smaller size bands at times is not based on how well you sound, but the size of the band. This downhill trending is becoming a hindrance to proper band ranking for good sounding smaller HBCU band programs. Lack of numbers for too many fans and critics suffocates anything pleasantly fresh or good sounding in the so-called small band world. Just what do I imply?

Look at it this way if your band is not part of the SWAC or MEAC, the chance of your band getting money at a Battle Of The Bands competition or recognized as a top tier band is almost zero. Even if you are a large band, not members of the SWAC or MEAC, you get looked over many times for the top spots or any spots in the ranking battleground. I am not saying certain bands not get a due reconnection for excellent musicianship. But music powerfulness and bodies covering the whole football field need not get ten thousand bonus points. Our smaller HBCU bands play the same music as the larger HBCU bands, and they play music well. But they suffer from many thanking that a smaller college or University can not be as good as the big boys. As a friend once said, if you did not break my eardrum, you not much of a band, and look, they only have one Drum major. Whenever money is in the game, as others have said before me, it can suffocate anything and anyone else, and I think some have been seduced. Everyone's attention span is getting shorter. So what do you consider that can help.? ---- James Stewart 11/17/2019

CLICK ON LINK
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9vHZ6UATvg

Indulgence Suffocations is a harmful concept and needs to be air out in the HBCU band world. The glorification in HBCU BAND poll ranking of larger size band programs at the expense of smaller size bands at times is not based on how well you sound, but the size of the band. This downhill trending is becoming a hindrance to proper band ranking for good sounding smaller HBCU band programs. Lack of numbers for too many fans and critics suffocates anything pleasantly fresh or good sounding in the so-called small band world. Just what do I imply?

Look at it this way if your band is not part of the SWAC or MEAC, the chance of your band getting money at a Battle Of The Bands competition or recognized as a top tier band is almost zero. Even if you are a large band, not members of the SWAC or MEAC, you get looked over many times for the top spots or any spots in the ranking battleground. I am not saying certain bands not get a due reconnection for excellent musicianship. But music powerfulness and bodies covering the whole football field need not get ten thousand bonus points. Our smaller HBCU bands play the same music as the larger HBCU bands, and they play music well. But they suffer from many thanking that a smaller college or University can not be as good as the big boys. As a friend once said, if you did not break my eardrum, you not much of a band, and look, they only have one Drum major. Whenever money is in the game, as others have said before me, it can suffocate anything and anyone else, and I think some have been seduced. Everyone's attention span is getting shorter. So what do you consider that can help.? ---- James Stewart 11/17/2019

I think it is what it is to a certain degree, but I think there are a lot of ways to put yourself and your product (band) out there.

Biggest one is social media. You need a video team like SU/JSU/TnSU (I think TnSU needs to do a little more) have. 15 minutes after the battle, clips are up and posted on YouTube, Facebook, etc., especially SU/JSU.

Be creative with it also. One of the things I said I do if I were a BD (hate to give away my secrets LOL) is to tribute famous celebs' birthdays, etc. Example, Stevie Wonder's birthday, go live on Facebook/Instagram/etc. playing 5 or 6 of his classics. Sound good, others will notice. That's one simple way.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Outside of the SWAC & MEAC, I think Miles & Dega get the most love.

I can’t even name all of the schools in the CIAA & SIAC tbh.

I think it is what it is to a certain degree, but I think there are a lot of ways to put yourself and your product (band) out there.

Biggest one is social media. You need a video team like SU/JSU/TnSU (I think TnSU needs to do a little more) have. 15 minutes after the battle, clips are up and posted on YouTube, Facebook, etc., especially SU/JSU.

Be creative with it also. One of the things I said I do if I were a BD (hate to give away my secrets LOL) is to tribute famous celebs' birthdays, etc. Example, Stevie Wonder's birthday, go live on Facebook/Instagram/etc. playing 5 or 6 of his classics. Sound good, others will notice. That's one simple way.
This is something I've been wanting Valley to do not just for the band, but for the school altogether. I personally think Jackson State has that on lock across the board.

Back