If enrollments aren't up at HBCUs by 40% under Trump we have failed!

I know I received a communique from Alcorn stating how they were handling the student overload. They are bussing them from the Natchez campus dorms to the main campus for classes since we are having a bumper crop of students....I'm hoping to hear everyone has the same issue...

We don’t have enough pride to send kids to HBCUs. Black folks are too comfortable and view HBCUs as outdated or a struggle.

I know parents who spend thousands of their hard earned dollars in private grade school tuition only to send their kids to a mediocre PWI that isn't even ranked academically (think: Jacksonville State, McNeese State, etc).

I blame us just as much as I blame them. We let our HBCUs rot and destroy themselves, siding with internal political sides instead of demanding more from our leaders.

On the athletic side, AAMU fails to even shake hands with our former athletes unless they're cutting checks. The only teams with a D1 title got shrugged off by the AD. The 2005 basketball team didnt even get a mention on the website/social media or PA announcement during a game. Now where do you think those former players will send their kids, or the kids they're coaching? Not A&M. And the AD has support of his superiors and others because he makes money for the university. Nobody bats an eye with he railroads people or commits what are fireable offenses at other schools.

Meanwhile, the state PWIs have active A-clubs with former athletes having a voice and connection with their programs.

We dont do right by each other.

Last edited:
We don’t have enough pride to send kids to HBCUs. Black folks are too comfortable and view HBCUs as outdated or a struggle.

Question what the hell have those HBCU done to make folks aware of them? Excluding the Trump photo opp-most folks don't hear a thing about HBCU until it's out of conference basketball season and it's time to get beat up for checks.

Just like my school district screams about losing kids to charter schools (one part of the black community has 25 of them). Yet in district we hear about all these great things about our district and black schools earning the most scholarships for college in all of the Dallas Fort Worth area. We fire right back at them-if all this good stuff is going on in one of the largest school districts-don't tell your employees-it everyone else.

No one is going to know a thing about your schools if you don't invest in selling them. Yes that means someone on staff will have to sacrifice to get that advertising budget up.

That means going to schools, doing online ads, radio ads, press kits and so on-and not just at black schools, black publications or radio stations. If you got advertising majors-let them do it.

Heck get out of the comfort zone-set up at events that you normally would not go to. Like a comic con-there are plenty of indy black creators who would love to get support to attend some of these. I know of one group in Houston. Sponsor a book signing or something to put the name of the school out there.

The days of sitting back and thinking you will get folks because you are a HBCU are DEAD. Texas, Kentucky, Iowa and plenty of PWC including McNeese State can do that.

Question what the hell have those HBCU done to make folks aware of them? Excluding the Trump photo opp-most folks don't hear a thing about HBCU until it's out of conference basketball season and it's time to get beat up for checks.

Just like my school district screams about losing kids to charter schools (one part of the black community has 25 of them). Yet in district we hear about all these great things about our district and black schools earning the most scholarships for college in all of the Dallas Fort Worth area. We fire right back at them-if all this good stuff is going on in one of the largest school districts-don't tell your employees-it everyone else.

No one is going to know a thing about your schools if you don't invest in selling them. Yes that means someone on staff will have to sacrifice to get that advertising budget up.

That means going to schools, doing online ads, radio ads, press kits and so on-and not just at black schools, black publications or radio stations. If you got advertising majors-let them do it.

Heck get out of the comfort zone-set up at events that you normally would not go to. Like a comic con-there are plenty of indy black creators who would love to get support to attend some of these. I know of one group in Houston. Sponsor a book signing or something to put the name of the school out there.

The days of sitting back and thinking you will get folks because you are a HBCU are DEAD. Texas, Kentucky, Iowa and plenty of PWC including McNeese State can do that.

I agree. Most of this is because our leaders are close to retirement and many disregard younger voices.

If the enrollments of HBCUs aren't up under this Trump administration this year the black community is in trouble and shows weakness. Just saying!

Most HBCUs will be up under Trump. Prairie View is looking at record enrollment, Howard exploding at the seams, Texas Southern is increasing again, Grambling has seen increases in applications, etc .... watch and see.

I know parents who spend thousands of their hard earned dollars in private grade school tuition only to send their kids to a mediocre PWI that isn't even ranked academically (think: Jacksonville State, McNeese State, etc).

I blame us just as much as I blame them. We let our HBCUs rot and destroy themselves, siding with internal political sides instead of demanding more from our leaders.

On the athletic side, AAMU fails to even shake hands with our former athletes unless they're cutting checks. The only teams with a D1 title got shrugged off by the AD. The 2005 basketball team didnt even get a mention on the website/social media or PA announcement during a game. Now where do you think those former players will send their kids, or the kids they're coaching? Not A&M. And the AD has support of his superiors and others because he makes money for the university. Nobody bats an eye with he railroads people or commits what are fireable offenses at other schools.

Meanwhile, the state PWIs have active A-clubs with former athletes having a voice and connection with their programs.

We dont do right by each other.

Alabama is a different animal. There are NO democrats in power in Alabama which are normally more kind towards HBCUs and it shows. For example, Alabama State has been trying to get an engineering program for years and the state continues to not help them do so. The demand and career options for engineers are quickly growing but yet there's no need for engineering at ASU?? Racism! Texas is the only state in the SWAC with two public HBCUs with engineering programs.

As long as the GOP has a death-hold on the political power in Alabama ... Blacks and HBCUs in Alabama won't really be able to thrive on the level of their white peers b/c they're won't let them. And I think it's important for blacks to be everywhere .... I don't think I want all blacks to attend HBCUs. And sometimes blacks chose Jacksonville State, AUM, and other PWIs lacking "star power" b/c it's closer to home or may be more affordable so we can't fault them for that. Ya'll get some of their money during homecoming and the MCC lol ... most blacks at PWIs LOVE HBCU events!

Last edited:
Alabama is a different animal. There are NO democrats in power in Alabama which are normally more kind towards HBCUs and it shows. For example, Alabama State has been trying to get an engineering program for years and the state continues to not help them do so. The demand and career options for engineers are quickly growing but yet there's no need for engineering at ASU?? Racism! Texas is the only state in the SWAC with two public HBCUs with engineering programs.

As long as the GOP has a death-hold on the political power in Alabama ... Blacks and HBCUs in Alabama won't really be able to thrive on the level of their white peers b/c they're won't let them. And I think it's important for blacks to be everywhere .... I don't think I want all blacks to attend HBCUs. And sometimes blacks chose Jacksonville State, AUM, and other PWIs lacking "star power" b/c it's closer to home or may be more affordable so we can't fault them for that. Ya'll get some of their money during homecoming and the MCC lol ... most blacks at PWIs LOVE HBCU events!

Their condition and state of political control is no different than any other state below the Mason Dixon line. We have a duty to empower and sell our HBCU's to sustainable enrollment at all cost. I despise Jackson State, but before I see a student enroll at a PWI, I will/have taken students to JSU for tours and on campus visits. I work with individuals that come from PWI's and experience their condescending looks and remarks towards HBCU's regularly. We cannot concede defeat, we must conjure the spirit of our ancestors that had no choice for further education. If our generation doesn't educate, there will be no future for our beloved HBCU's!

Their condition and state of political control is no different than any other state below the Mason Dixon line. We have a duty to empower and sell our HBCU's to sustainable enrollment at all cost. I despise Jackson State, but before I see a student enroll at a PWI, I will/have taken students to JSU for tours and on campus visits. I work with individuals that come from PWI's and experience their condescending looks and remarks towards HBCU's regularly. We cannot concede defeat, we must conjure the spirit of our ancestors that had no choice for further education. If our generation doesn't educate, there will be no future for our beloved HBCU's!

Not 100% true, Louisiana has a democrat governor who almost immediately committed to increasing funding to SU and GSU. Also, he's one of a few governors (all democrats) to visit the HBCU campuses in Louisiana. Most of his cabinet are made of Louisiana HBCU graduates on and so forth.

Texas has an influential democratic group. They're not the majority but they're not a silent, powerless minority either. The democrats have successfully fought for funding to TSU and PV. TSU and PV are in the top 10 of public HBCU endowments. Only state to do that.

And the rivalry between HBCUs are not fueled with hatred (unlike with the PWI rivalries) ... it's all for fun and jokes. I talk playful trash about other HBCUs but would not think twice about sending my child to them ... I would think twice before sending my child to a PWI. I have love for all HBCUs ... PWIs not so much.

Back