IE 7 to crush Firefox?

BLAQUE PRINCE

Fug <insert your school here>!
How do these people get their jobs :shame:

Full Story

IE 7: so much for Firefox
By Molly Wood, senior editor, CNET.com
Tuesday, February 15, 2005
Molly Wood Editor's Note: This version has been edited to clarify that Internet Explorer 7 is not a true standalone browser release.

TalkBack
Are you afraid of a standalone Internet Explorer, or will you keep betting on the Firefox pony?
Post your comment here
For a moment there, it looked like the tyrant IE could actually be overthrown. Those were heady days, weren't they? Well, they're over now. Papa Bill just dropped the hammer. Bill Gates announced this week, at the RSA Security Conference in San Francisco (of all places), that Microsoft will release an updated version of IE, Internet Explorer 7, without waiting for the next version of Windows. Gates says the unexpected release is designed to address the perception that IE itself is a massive security risk. What he didn't say, but you know he was thinking it, is that IE 7 will easily put a stop to this upstart browser rebellion.

Don't believe me? You should. Firefox is great, I use it. But it's a chore sometimes, what with most sites using that pesky nonstandard IE code. Not everything renders properly, and some sites just plain don't work--I have to load up IE to use them. Plus, let's be honest--Firefox has its flaws. Why is there no way to check for updates from within the browser, for one thing? Why does it take so doggone long to launch? Why, why must it crash every single time I open a PDF? I mean, every single time. Opera, fine, whatever, I'm not paying for a browser, and for some reason, although I've tried it several times, it's just never captured me. It's too clunky, and I was raised on IE. I don't want to learn something completely new. IE, on the other hand, is like the sweeping tide--it's just easier not to fight it.

If IE 7 is even 50 percent more secure than current versions, the Firefox rebellion is finished. If IE 7 has tabs, Firefox will be destroyed as surely as the Hungarian uprising of 1956 was crushed by the Soviets. I use the analogy deliberately, too--no one expected Microsoft to issue a major update to IE before Longhorn came out, but those months of silence (and, no doubt, frantic development) look awfully ominous now.

It was bad when Microsoft seemed to ignore Firefox, treating it like a harmless upstart not worthy of comment or attack. But now that the sleeping giant has awakened, I think the buzzing gnat of the browser wars is about to be squashed flat. What do you think?

Either microsuck payed her, Bill is tappin that arse, or she is plain dumb. To think without the slightest clue of what it will include, that IE 7 is about to crush Firefox is rediculous. Why not just wait until the thing comes out. Besides microsuck has a habit of releasing crap that supposedly fixes one fug up and opens 10 more holes. And of course you will have thousands of people that will have the same foolish train of thought.

Microsoft problem is it just won't concentrate on its bread and butter (WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM). They are stretched too thin trying to compete with every software product out there.

They have an software development products (.NET)
Browser (IE)
Office Applications (Word, Excel, etc.)
Financial Apps (Microsoft Money XXXX)
Servers (Windows Server 200X)

The problem is they are competing with companies that are experts in their products, because that is all they do. It is not rocket science that the developer of FireFox browser was successful. WHY? Because they are the same people that can attack your machine thru the IE browser.

Microsoft will come out with IE7 and hacks will hack it and develop a browser that puts it to shame.

I find it hard to believe that people will be willing to go back to IE7 after all of the trouble it has/is causing. I think people will only use it on as needed basis (for those sites that don't conform to standards and will only work properly in IE).

Accorinding to an article on TechWeb Firefox has topped the 25 million download mark.

Firefox Tops 25 Million-Download Mark

By Antone Gonsalves, TechWeb News

The number of downloads of Firefox has topped 25 million, indicating that the open-source browser continues to make gains in the market dominated by Microsoft Corp.'s Internet Explorer.

Downloads of Firefox 1.0 had reached 25.24 million as of Friday, just over 100 days since its release, according to the Mozilla Foundation, developers of the browser. A preview release of Firefox 1.1 is scheduled for April.

Security concerns have been a major impetus for consumers to switch from IE to alternative browsers, with Firefox benefiting the most. As of January, IE's market share had fallen to 92.7 percent, while Firefox's share had risen to 4.8 percent, according to JupiterResearch, a division of Jupitermedia Corp. Other browsers, such as Netscape and Opera, accounted for the rest.

Full story

silentrage said:
I find it hard to believe that people will be willing to go back to IE7 after all of the trouble it has/is causing. I think people will only use it on as needed basis (for those sites that don't conform to standards and will only work properly in IE).

Accorinding to an article on TechWeb Firefox has topped the 25 million download mark.

Full story

Good article. :tup:

Da_Sperm said:
Microsoft problem is it just won't concentrate on its bread and butter (WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM). They are stretched too thin trying to compete with every software product out there.

They have an software development products (.NET)
Browser (IE)
Office Applications (Word, Excel, etc.)
Financial Apps (Microsoft Money XXXX)
Servers (Windows Server 200X)

The problem is they are competing with companies that are experts in their products, because that is all they do. It is not rocket science that the developer of FireFox browser was successful. WHY? Because they are the same people that can attack your machine thru the IE browser.

Microsoft will come out with IE7 and hacks will hack it and develop a browser that puts it to shame.

Very good points. The pretty much just try to keep up with the Jones'. You drop a product and they kick into high gear to drop one too and crush you. I don't understand the point of them trying to go head to head with Google. *smh*

You are correct about the hackers. Firefox is open source so they are pretty much the ones that write the thing. And you can't really hack it because anything you hack someone can fix in the source code.

But once again you will have fools that think Microsuck is some sort of god and will run right back to them.

Microsoft will have to pull some magic out of the bag for me to make IE my default browser again. So far Firefox is working on every site that I visit and if I find a problem - I e-mail the webmaster. I just updated to Firefox 1.01.
:bowdown:

Back