I want to hear......

Get Ready

...somebody call Jerry Sloan (Utah Coach) a thug for blatantly pushing an official during the game. That was waaaaay below average and I want to hear someone label him like they label any black player that gets in a fight or does some ruff stuff during a game. I have never seen a player purposely push a ref like that.....not even in baseball do managers put their hands on umps.

Lets see if the same standards will be applied.

I agree. But don't hold your breath.

I have to give Stu Jackson credit for suspending him for seven games. I did not think that Sloan would get a suspension that long.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Man seven games is nothing!! He should have gotten at least 10, maybe more. And he should be fined like no one else in league history.

You cannot put your hands on a ref. I mean it is one thing to argue and yell. But to shove the guy? Hell I say he got off easy!

Originally posted by Get Ready
... I have never seen a player purposely push a ref like that.....not even in baseball do managers put their hands on umps.

Lets see if the same standards will be applied.

I have seen plenty of players do it from youth league to the NBA.

I am an umpire, and it happens all to often. I have partners who have been attacked and choked by coaches of teams during the game.

Make the fines for fighting and accosting an official a minimum of $100K and 10 games to run consecutively - immediate suspension until the money is received, then the 10 games - and this will end...quickly.

dacontinent,

I have seen player bump into refs but never blatantly push a ref like Sloan did. Which players did what he did?

Originally posted by jag4life
dacontinent,

I have seen player bump into refs but never blatantly push a ref like Sloan did. Which players did what he did?

Correct.....Magic and Van Excel bumped the ref by accident
Name me a player that touched a ref with his hands.

I have heard them call Nick Van Exel a thug for what he did against that ref, and I have heard them call Magic's act "thuggish". So what do you call Jerry Sloan or what he did?

Some refs are taking advantage of the no questions and not touch me rules. Touching and bumping I don't support, but I noticed some of these weight lifting refs who are constantly flexing their muscle need to be accountable for some of their actions.

Originally posted by MightyDog
Some refs are taking advantage of the no questions and not touch me rules. Touching and bumping I don't support, but I noticed some of these weight lifting refs who are constantly flexing their muscle need to be accountable for some of their actions.

You have got to be kidding me.....:rolleyes:
Surely you dont support this crap MD

Correct.....Magic and Van Excel bumped the ref by accident
Name me a player that touched a ref with his hands.

Van Exel's push wasn't by accident. Still doesn't make him a "thug" though.

Dude....if you watch it....he snatched away from one guy and his momentum carried him into the ref. Once he got too close, there was no going back. I can assure you of this.....Jerry Sloans wasnt an accident.

I know Jerry Sloan's wasn't by accident. But Van Exel's looked intentional to me as well.

Originally posted by MightyDog

Needless to say I do not approve of pushing refs. Sloan got off easy. But some umpires do take advantage of their position. Instead of making things worse with a player, they need to understand that they have control of the game and kick the player out of the game.

Still, Sloan needed to be suspended. He did cross the line.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by Kool-Aid2K1
I know Jerry Sloan's wasn't by accident. But Van Exel's looked intentional to me as well.

Both were intentional, and both got seven games. It was a fair ruling. If anyone has a problem with how it's categorized in terms of "thuggery", take it up with the national media.

Get Ready,

I am with you whole heartly on this one. I notice the samething last night when ESPN ask Bill Walton about the image of the league and Bill Walton decided talk about sveral players, but had very little to say about Jerry Sloan's incendent.

Originally posted by jag4life
dacontinent,

Nothing quite like Sloan. I have seen a few players grab a ref and spin them around...The most notable in my memory was Elvin Hayes, who used to go at it with Mindy Rudolph even before the game got started. Karl Malone has done it at least once. Darryl Dawkins...Maurice Lucas. That's all I can think of at the moment.

In none of those cases was it a menacing thing. It was a matter off incredulity on the part of the player for a call or non-call.

Originally posted by EB

Needless to say I do not approve of pushing refs. Sloan got off easy. But some umpires do take advantage of their position. Instead of making things worse with a player, they need to understand that they have control of the game and kick the player out of the game.

Still, Sloan needed to be suspended. He did cross the line.

You are quite right about some of the umps, I am sad to say.

Quick story. The Yankees and Orioles were playing a double-header back in the day. Both Billy Martin and Earl Weaver got tossed in the first game. Weaver comes out jawjacking to the plate conference before the second game. The ump takes the lineup card from him and promptly tosses him from the second game. Billy Martin shut up.

That is control.

I have no problem with the length of Sloan's suspension. Anything less than 5 games would have been ludicrous, more than 10 excessive. I'll split the difference.

Sloan's conduct is being almost excused by comments like, "he always was fiery as a player". When did fiery turn to being called a thug.

Originally posted by MikeBigg
I have no problem with the length of Sloan's suspension. Anything less than 5 games would have been ludicrous, more than 10 excessive. I'll split the difference.

Sloan's conduct is being almost excused by comments like, "he always was fiery as a player". When did fiery turn to being called a thug.

Nothing wrong with being fiery. You just have to know when to be lit and when to extinguish the flame. Sloan messed-up.

Lets just be honest

White guys=fiery, competitive nature, loves the game
Black guys= thugs, uncontrolable, malcontent, killing the game
Jeremy Shockey=Good
Terrel Owens=Bad
Hockey fight= self game management,part of the game
Basketball fight=chaos, animalistic

Hey guys, look no player has been suspended for more games for touching a ref than Jerry Sloan. Rodman Got 6 for a headbutt (no accident) and Van Exel got 4 for a forearm that knocked a ref into the scores table. So you are saying that Sloan should get 10 for a straight up push. Lets get real.

Hell yeah Sloan should've gotten more, he's the dayum coach!!! Not to mention, he's a 2 time offender, granted it's been 10 years, but if he were black, you'd swore it happened just last week.

Man let Paul Silas, Doc Rivers, or any other black coach do something like that, and the media would be screaming for their jobs.

GR, just to touch up on something you started

Jason "White Chocolate" Williams = inventive, fresh, exciting

Any Black Point Guard = playground, undisciplined, and hot dogging.

NICE

Lets just be honest

White guys=fiery, competitive nature, loves the game
Black guys= thugs, uncontrolable, malcontent, killing the game
Jeremy Shockey=Good
Terrel Owens=Bad
Hockey fight= self game management,part of the game
Basketball fight=chaos, animalistic

You were OK until the last two. Fighting is a part of the rules in hockey--you only get a 2 minute minor for it unless it's out of hand. Fighting is NOT a part of hoops.

Back