Hurricane Frances puts JSU's opener in cloud of uncertainty

Dr. Tripp

http://clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040901/SPORTS030101/409010340

September 1, 2004
Hurricane puts opener in cloud of uncertainty

Officials expected to make decision today with alternate site to Orlando a possibility

By Mark Alexander
malexander@clarionledger.com

Jackson State was supposed to open its season Saturday in Orlando, Fla.

Hurricane Frances may dictate otherwise.

JSU is scheduled to play Hampton in the Labor Day Classic about the same time Frances is predicted to make landfall.
The hurricane's exact course won't be known for several days, but forecasts show Orlando close to Frances' predicted path.

That has left Classic organizers and administrators from both schools scrambling for an alternate site if indeed the game can't be played in Orlando.

"If push comes to shove we may have to go to Hampton," JSU athletic director Roy Culberson said Tuesday afternoon moments after getting off an impromptu teleconference. "Right now, we just don't know. It's up in the air."

A decision concerning the game likely will come today after a 9:30 a.m. teleconference, according to Labor Day Classic promoter David Gardner of Event Authority.

Atlanta, Birmingham, Mobile and Jackson were among the cities contacted Tuesday as possible alternate sites. But Culberson said all of those cities "are out of the picture" for various reasons. Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium, where JSU plays its home games, is undergoing renovations that include new locker rooms and new handicap seating.

"It would've been good if we could've moved it here to Jackson, but the people at the stadium said they couldn't have it ready in time," Culberson said.

Other possibilities include New Orleans, Washington D.C. and Hampton, Va.

"We're working on New Orleans now," Culberson said. "We just trying to find somewhere to play, preferably a neutral site. We're looking at Plan B, Plan C, etc."

JSU's football team was scheduled to fly out of Jackson Thursday afternoon. Those plans are on hold now.

"We've got to play somewhere, whether it's in Orlando or some where else," second-year JSU coach James Bell said following Tuesday's practice. "Wherever the game is, we'll be prepared and ready to roll. I have no control over that. It's out of my hands. We'll just have to wait and see what fate holds. Once we get the call, we'll make our plans accordingly.

....I don't understand not having it in Jackson....Those renovations won't be done by next week's home opener either...but the game is still gonna be played at Memorial.....*shrug*....Memorial would make the most sense.

NOISE TALKA said:
....I don't understand not having it in Jackson....Those renovations won't be done by next week's home opener either...but the game is still gonna be played at Memorial.....*shrug*....Memorial would make the most sense.

Memorial would make the most sense since ATL (a central location) is out of the running. I am sure that most of the tickets were sold in Jackson. Even Morris Brown's stadium is bigger than Hampton's....JSU fans would fill up the whole thing even at this short notice.

...and if it is in Hampton, Hampton needs to pony up some money because we won't be getting a return game from them.

Tigerpride said:
Memorial would make the most sense since ATL (a central location) is out of the running. I am sure that most of the tickets were sold in Jackson. Even Morris Brown's stadium is bigger than Hampton's....JSU fans would fill up the whole thing even at this short notice.
MoBrown's field probably hasn't been kept up, since nothing really goes on over there now.
(and you know JSU wouldn't fill up that stadium by itself, maybe CAU's) :D

any way, sad to see this happen this late in the game, cause I know folks already had made plans for Orlando.
(and since I have folks in Orlando, I was all set to get the lowdown on JSU ) :ebrow: :lol:

I don't know why anyone would want to play this game at Hampton. Jackson would be a better choice. Is there a game there or something?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why would Hampton be a choice right now. Nothing but heavy rain from the other 2 hurricanes that just passed off the east coast with another comming.

That suck's. But, I guess this is Hamptons return game in a way. They did come to Jacktown a few years back.

mighty hornet said:
dang.
:(

I hope GR learned his lesson the last time and had not already paid a nonrefundable deposit for a room in Orlando.

MH ................. Games being cancelled because nobody wants to see you is one thing. ACT'S OF NATURE IS ANOTHER. :lol:

jstate83 said:
That suck's. But, I guess this is Hamptons return game in a way. They did come to Jacktown a few years back.

Bruh, that was Howard. I understand though...they are both smalltime so it is easy to confuse them. We have never played Hampton.

I think the ONLY thing that was causing Memorial not to have the game was the players would not have anywhere to dress and the finishing touches to the playing field were not finished. The other renovations will be going on next week like it has in the years past.

But the main things, THE LOCKER ROOMS and the field, will be finished by next week.

Back