HS Football Playoff Length?

ZNSPR8502

Meet, act & depart...
Hello,

I can't remember just how many weeks Mississippi's High Football Playoffs were in the 80's, but I think it was and is similar to Louisiana's.

Viewing another post in this area, it looks like Louisiana has 5 weeks including the championship. That seems reasonable to me. It would ideal to me in most cases if it was 4 weeks (top 16 teams: District Championship, Regional Championship, Semi-Finals and Championship)

One reason this is and has been on my mind for years is the length of Texas High School Football Playoffs. I finally found out tonight how long it is. 7 Weeks (District, Bi-District, Area, Regional, Quarterfinals, Semi-finals, Finals)!!!! Heck, 7 weeks is basically an entire new season with practically every game on the road. I think that is over kill and should be smaller.

HOw about your state? How many weeks does it take? What week did they start (TX started 11/8 and will end on 12/20)?

"Do Something Passionate Today"

PEACE!!!

Actually there only 5 weeks of high school football playoffs in Texas and they didn't start until 11/15/03.

Bi-District, Regional, Quarterfinals, Semi-finals, Championship

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Texas has 2 divisions....1 is one week longer than the other

1 bracket is bi-district, area, regional semifinals, region finals, state semifinals and state title game

the other is area, regional semifinals, region finals, state semifinals and state title game

It's just like Fiyah and BP said.

I'd also like to add this.

Teams in Texas (5A and 4A) qualify for the playoffs if they finish in the top three in their district.

From there, the school with the highest enrollment of the three qualifiers goes to the Division I playoffs and the other two go to Division II.

Example, if you're the biggest school in your district, you go Division I no matter if you finish 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

Division I finishes a week early obviously.

In 5A (not sure about the others but probably them too), there are 32 districts. To prevent a Orange/El Paso or Brownsville/Lubbock game, it is predetermined what districts match up in each round, whereas Louisiana is seeded 1-32 based on power ranking.

Tx uil had to create the 2 divisions to offset the number of new high schools being built here (and still building). If there weren't 2 divs, you'd have almost 9+ member districts and those playoffs really would've been going to 7+ weeks.

Originally posted by Fiyah
Actually there only 5 weeks of high school football playoffs in Texas and they didn't start until 11/15/03.

Bi-District, Regional, Quarterfinals, Semi-finals, Championship

I found the UIL site and it has the bracketing on it. They show the following:

Week 11/8 District Playoffs
Week 11/15 Bi-District Playoffs
Week 11/22 Area Playoffs
Week 11/29 Regional Playoffs
Week 12/6 Quarter Finals
Week 12/13 Semi-Finals
Week 12/20 Finals (Championships)

Anybody on here from states other than TX and LA? How is it in those states?

Peace!!!

You misread the brackets, where it says district 11/08 is the last games of district play. Bi-District is the first week of the playoffs which started on 11/15. For Div1 there are 5 weeks and for Div 2 there are 6 weeks.

Div 1 - Bi-District, Regional, Quarterfinals, Semi-Finals, Finals

Div 2 - Bi-District, Area, Regional, Quarterfinals, Semi-Finals, Finals

OK... Thanks for the clarification. I usually lose track following it due to my interest in SWAC and other College Football. Next thing I know, we are deep in December and the State Championship is just being played. So, I'm always like DARN!!! This is too long!!!! 5 may be reasonable depending on if the extra week is due to the size of the state. But, I think 6 is definitely too much. That is over half of a regular season in the playoffs.

I want lead a protest or anything (smile), but seems like the District winners should be the only ones to make the playoff and bracket from there. I think I remember MS having the District winner and runner up make it when I was in high school ('81-'84). But, I'm not positive. I think the District Winners played a District Runner in the first round with the bracketing being paired from those match up. I thought after 4 weeks we knew who was state champ.

It was a curiousity question to see how it was similar or different in the various states that are represented by SWACPage posters.

Peace!!!

Back