HP killing its TouchPad tablet and Palm largely dead as HP shuts mobile

Olde Hornet

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/s...-is-a-casualty-of-iPads-popularity/50047542/1

HP pulled the plug Thursday on its TouchPad tablet device, which was launched June 1, and plans to discontinue its WebOS-based smartphones.

"Our TouchPad has not been gaining enough traction in the marketplace," said HP CEO Leo Apotheker in a conference call. "We have made the difficult but necessary decision to shut down the WebOS hardware operations."

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/s...dead-as-HP-shuts-phone-tablet-unit/50050946/1

When Hewlett-Packard snapped up Palm last year for $1.8 billion, it looked like the smartphone pioneer's last chance.

Palm was a year into a major turnaround effort but gaining little traction despite a hip, new CEO known for making the iPod a household name. It had high hopes for its latest handset, the Pre, which ran on the company's new, intuitive operating software, known as webOS. It needed a savior, and HP, which itself needed a boost in the mobile technology market, seemed like its best bet for survival.

It didn't work. With fierce competition from Apple's iPhone and smartphones running Google's Android software, HP's handsets running the webOS software developed by Palm have been just a blip on most consumers' radar screens. A tablet called the TouchPad, released in July and also running webOS, has also sold poorly.

This was not a surprise to me. I heard WebOS was not a bad operating system. However, it just could not compete with iOS and Android. WebOS may surface again, but not with HP. Samsung or HTC might pick it up.

But the real surprise to me was HP is spinning off their consumer PC business. HP is the number 1 PC maker on the planet. But I heard HP only get a $52 margin off each consumer desktop as oppose to Apple that gets over $300 on its average desktop sold. So to make as much money as Apple, HP has to sell 6 or 7 units to 1. HP has a leading 25% market share and Apple has only 10%.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
This was not a surprise to me. I heard WebOS was not a bad operating system. However, it just could not compete with iOS and Android. WebOS may surface again, but not with HP. Samsung or HTC might pick it up.

But the real surprise to me was HP is spinning off their consumer PC business. HP is the number 1 PC maker on the planet. But I heard HP only get a $52 margin off each consumer desktop as oppose to Apple that gets over $300 on its average desktop sold. So to make as much money as Apple, HP has to sell 6 or 7 units to 1. HP has a leading 25% market share and Apple has only 10%.

No PC maker will ever get what Apple gets, its the difference between windows commodity products and single source products. Its why Windows computers will always be cheaper than Apple computers.

I was shocked that they pulled out of the PC market.

No PC maker will ever get what Apple gets, its the difference between windows commodity products and single source products. Its why Windows computers will always be cheaper than Apple computers.

I was shocked that they pulled out of the PC market.

No doubt…

That's because Apple's computers are insanely over priced, and many people see it as a status symbol. Hardware wise, it's no better than a regular pc.

What is the dollar amount for "insanely"?

That depends on the product. Their computers, accessories, etc, are over priced. Example, their 3 foot sync/charge cable is $29.99 in the apple store. I can get virtually that same cable elsewhere, even in a longer length for less than $5. Same with their chargers. When I got my laptop a few years ago, I paid $1,350 for it. For the same hardware in a macbook pro (even a 250 gb hard drive as compared to the 320 gb I got, along with 1 gb less ram than I got), it would've cost me about $3,000. I got that laptop, set it up in a dual boot configuration with windows and a hackintosh set up, and haven't looked back since, LOL!!

You can usually get stuff cheaper from suppliers vs the manufacture. Most accessories are commodity products, therefore cheaper than buying the from the OEM.

That depends on the product. Their computers, accessories, etc, are over priced. Example, their 3 foot sync/charge cable is $29.99 in the apple store. I can get virtually that same cable elsewhere, even in a longer length for less than $5. Same with their chargers. When I got my laptop a few years ago, I paid $1,350 for it. For the same hardware in a macbook pro (even a 250 gb hard drive as compared to the 320 gb I got, along with 1 gb less ram than I got), it would've cost me about $3,000. I got that laptop, set it up in a dual boot configuration with windows and a hackintosh set up, and haven't looked back since, LOL!!

you can et a mac usb sync/charger cable for 5.99 shipping included on ebay... easy day.

17” Mac book Pro $2,948.00

2.3 Ghz Quad-core Intel i7
8 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 SDRAM 2x4GB
500 GB HHD
Intel HD Graphic 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6750 with 1GB GDDR5

That the high end for people who have unlimited resources and want a desktop replacement.

With my limited resources if I wanted a laptop.

13“ Mac Book Pro $1,199.00

2.3 Ghz Dual-core Intel i5
4 GB 1333 Mhz
320 HHD
Intel HD Graphic 3000

15” Dell Inspiron at Best Buy $649
640 HHD
6GB 1333 Mhz
Intel HD Graphic 3000

Hard drive space is not a issue for me because I have a 1TB external hard drive.

iMovie and Garageband are pre-loaded on all Macs so the Windows equivalent would be something like $150

If I wanted OS X Lion it’s $69.00 on a USB stick “IF” it will load on the Dell. Lion comes pre-loaded on all Macs and I can load my copy of windows that I have here at the house on the Mac. That’s both OS running on one machine for free.

Macs do not get viruses to the degree Windows does, so I can get away with not buying anti-virus software for the Mac. But have to buy one for Windows, so that’s $30 a year $90 over 3 years

iWorks (that’s pre-load in all Macs) is superior to MS Works, so I would have to buy MS Office $200

So that’s about $1,150.00 for the Dell. The extra $50 or so for the Mac is worth it to me to have a computer I can bring home and take it out of the box and it’s ready to go.

Last edited:
17” Mac book Pro $2,948.00

2.3 Ghz Quad-core Intel i7
8 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 SDRAM 2x4GB
500 GB HHD
Intel HD Graphic 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6750 with 1GB GDDR5

That the high end for people who have unlimited resources and want a desktop replacement.

With my limited resources if I wanted a laptop.

13“ Mac Book Pro $1,199.00

4 GB 1333 Mhz
320 HHD
Intel HD Graphic 3000

15” Dell Inspiron at Best Buy $649
640 HHD
6GB 1333 Mhz
Intel HD Graphic 3000

Hard drive space is not a issue for me because I have a 1TB external hard drive.

iMovie and Garageband is pre-loaded on all Macs so the Windows equivalent would be something like $150

If I wanted OS X Lion it’s $69.00 on a USB stick “IF” it will load on the Dell. Lion comes pre-loaded on all Macs and I can load my copy of windows that I have here at the house on the Mac. That’s both OS running on one machine for free.

Macs do not get viruses to the degree Windows does, so I can get away with not buying anti-virus software for the Mac. But have to buy one for Windows, so that’s $30 a year $90 over 3 years

iWorks (that’s pre-load in all Macs) is superior to MS Works, so I would have to buy MS Office $200

So that’s about $1,150.00 for the Dell. The extra $50 or so for the Mac is worth it to me to have a computer I can bring home and take it out of the box and it’s ready to go.

Your comparison is so biased it's pathetic. Openoffice, which many people use as an alternative to Microsoft Office, is free. There are PLENTY of free anti-virus software programs out there as well, which is what I use. I don't pay for anti-virus software. Also, you're comparing a 13" macbook against a 15" Dell. Dude, seriously? Why not use a 15" macbook pro to keep everything on par? Regardless if you have an external hard drive or not, you are still getting twice the internal storage with the Dell as you are with the mac. You're also getting 50% more RAM with the Dell than you are with the mac. Also, Windows Movie Maker by Microsoft is a free download as well. Also, iWork is NOT pre-loaded on all macs. iLife is, but not iWork. You don't have to lie to kick it. Check your facts.

To summarize, with the Dell you get the same processor, the same video card, a battery that's user replaceable if need be (apple charges you out the ass to crack open your laptop to replace the battery), twice the hard drive, 2" bigger on the screen, and 50% more RAM for $550 less than the macbook pro. Thank you for proving my point. :retard:

On top of that, add about $100 or even less and you can have a blu-ray drive in that laptop in place of the dvd drive, so you can watch blu-ray movies. Can't do that on a mac.

Last edited:
I will never buy a pc again. Honestly I hate using a PC at my desk at work. Macs just makes things SOOOOO much easier. Each PC Operating System tries to be more and more like a Mac. A Mac is dummy proof. I bought an IMAC 5 years ago and it still runs like a champ, never had an issue and its "sexier" than any PC lol. Got a Macbook last year.... no problem out of either one.

I will never buy a pc again. Honestly I hate using a PC at my desk at work. Macs just makes things SOOOOO much easier. Each PC Operating System tries to be more and more like a Mac. A Mac is dummy proof. I bought an IMAC 5 years ago and it still runs like a champ, never had an issue and its "sexier" than any PC lol. Got a Macbook last year.... no problem out of either one.

Easier depends on the level of the user. Saying macs are dummy proof is like saying macs are for dummies, LOL!! I haven't had any problems out of my pcs either. Talk to some of those "Apple Geniuses" at those apple stores. Their return rate is actually a higher percentage than that of pcs. It was like that when I used to sell both of them when I worked retail as well.

Your comparison is so biased it's pathetic. Openoffice, which many people use as an alternative to Microsoft Office, is free. There are PLENTY of free anti-virus software programs out there as well, which is what I use. I don't pay for anti-virus software. Also, you're comparing a 13" macbook against a 15" Dell. Dude, seriously? Why not use a 15" macbook pro to keep everything on par? Regardless if you have an external hard drive or not, you are still getting twice the internal storage with the Dell as you are with the mac. You're also getting 50% more RAM with the Dell than you are with the mac. Also, Windows Movie Maker by Microsoft is a free download as well. Also, iWork is NOT pre-loaded on all macs. iLife is, but not iWork. You don't have to lie to kick it. Check your facts.

To summarize, with the Dell you get the same processor, the same video card, a battery that's user replaceable if need be (apple charges you out the ass to crack open your laptop to replace the battery), twice the hard drive, 2" bigger on the screen, and 50% more RAM for $550 less than the macbook pro. Thank you for proving my point. :retard:

On top of that, add about $100 or even less and you can have a blu-ray drive in that laptop in place of the dvd drive, so you can watch blu-ray movies. Can't do that on a mac.

O.K., iWorks is not preloaded but it’s only $79. It’s still not as much as MS Office. I prefer iWorks to Openoffice but that’s just me. I never save anything to the local drive, so it does not matter to me how big the hard drive…again my personal choice. I was comparing a 13” to a 15” because for me personally that’s not much of a difference. However, I was trying to find the closes price point and the equivalent Best Buy has to sell. The $1,700 15” MacBook Pro comes with a dedicated AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics card and a quad-core chip but the 13“ MacBook Pro does not. The only laptop Best Buy sells with dedicated graphics is the 15”and 17” MacBook pro. Even the $2,700 Sony Vaio has a Intel HD Graphics 3000 just like the $1,199 13“ MacBook Pro. I guess you don’t even want to talk about thunderbolt.

With iLife you almost can make a low budget documentaries, as oppose to Windows Moviemaker which you can barely make home movies. My windows video editing software cost me over $200 and I can pretty much do the same thing with iLife that‘s preloaded on a Mac…Final Cut Pro X is now $300 and that‘s what a professional would use. Also, I would not have to get a anti-virus software at all, free or paid, with a Mac…or deal with registry errors So those hassles I don’t have to deal with a Mac.

But all that’s immaterial of the over all point. You said that Macs are “insanely over priced.” I think that’s an exaggeration. However, you have to pay extra for conveniences. You say I am making a bias comparison, that may be true because I like Apple products. A person is going to buy what they want no matter how much it cost it they like it. But lets just deal with the facts here. Since HP, the number on PC maker, is getting out. What Apple charges for its products must be what is needed to do to stay in business. Those are the FACTS.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/19/technology/end_of_wintel/index.htm

Last edited:
Easier depends on the level of the user. Saying macs are dummy proof is like saying macs are for dummies, LOL!! I haven't had any problems out of my pcs either. Talk to some of those "Apple Geniuses" at those apple stores. Their return rate is actually a higher percentage than that of pcs. It was like that when I used to sell both of them when I worked retail as well.

That's just what you need to believe...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
O.K., iWorks is not preloaded but it’s only $79. It’s still not as much as MS Office. I prefer iWorks to Openoffice but that’s just me. I never save anything to the local drive, so it does not matter to me how big the hard drive…again my personal choice. I was comparing a 13” to a 15” because for me personally that’s not much of a difference. However, I was trying to find the closes price point and the equivalent Best Buy has to sell. The $1,700 15” MacBook Pro comes with a dedicated AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics card and a quad-core chip but the 13“ MacBook Pro does not. The only laptop Best Buy sells with dedicated graphics is the 15”and 17” MacBook pro. Even the $2,700 Sony Vaio has a Intel HD Graphics 3000 just like the $1,199 13“ MacBook Pro. I guess you don’t even want to talk about thunderbolt.

With iLife you almost can make a low budget documentaries, as oppose to Windows Moviemaker which you can barely make home movies. My windows video editing software cost me over $200 and I can pretty much do the same thing with iLife that‘s preloaded on a Mac…Final Cut Pro X is now $300 and that‘s what a professional would use. Also, I would not have to get a anti-virus software at all, free or paid, with a Mac…or deal with registry errors So those hassles I don’t have to deal with a Mac.

But all that’s immaterial of the over all point. You said that Macs are “insanely over priced.” I think that’s an exaggeration. However, you have to pay extra for conveniences. You say I am making a bias comparison, that may be true because I like Apple products. A person is going to buy what they want no matter how much it cost it they like it. But lets just deal with the facts here. Since HP, the number on PC maker, is getting out. What Apple charges for its products must be what is needed to do to stay in business. Those are the FACTS.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/19/technology/end_of_wintel/index.htm

My goodness, where do I begin, LOL!! Thunderbolt is an Intel technology (called Lightpeak), not Apple, so you best best believe it will be in PCs as well, along with USB 3.0 that's already in PCs, but not on macs. Most Windows PCs do come with Microsoft Works, which is better than the nothing that the macs ship with as far as productivity software goes. Yes, Microsoft Office is more expensive than iWork, but Office is an enterprise level suite of applications with WAAAAY more features than iWork. By the way, Microsoft Office 2010 Home & Student can be had for $125 on Amazon.com, not the $200 that you said, LOL!! As far as 13" vs 15", it might not seem like a big difference, but those 2" can determine the maximum resolution of the display. It's much more likely to be able to do 1080p on a 15" display than on a 13" display. I'd have to double check, but I don't remember ever seeing a 13" display doing 1080p. As far as that new $300 Final Cut Pro goes, that's even a bigger laugh. Professional video editors hate it with a passion and are sticking with the older $1000+ version of it. The new version is so stripped down, many people are calling it iMovie Pro, LOL!! I agree Windows Movie Maker isn't the best thing for video editing, but good video editing software can be had for less than $100. When I said "insanely overpriced" in many cases that statement runs true, as was the case when I bought my $1,350 laptop vs a $3000 macbook pro with slightly less hardware. While it's true that macs get less viruses than PCs do, it's not because Apple's operating system is more secure, it's because Apple has such a small percentage of the desktop market that virus writers don't even bother with them. Trust me, as Apple's market share increases, you will see more viruses. In fact, at most of the hacking contests, macs are the quickest ones to get hacked, LOL!! It's significant enough to where there are several antivirus programs out there written specifically for the mac. http://antivirus.about.com/od/antivirussoftwarereviews/tp/aamacvir.htm

At first you said iWork comes preloaded on all macs, then you said Office costs $200, when it can be had for $75 less than that. Do you even do any research before you make your posts, or are you making stuff up as you go along? Get your lies straight.

The bottom line is this. Add it all up, the price of the hardware and the software, and anything you can do on a mac, I can do on a pc for significantly cheaper. :)

Last edited:
I just wanna know what apple products does odis actually own? lol... Apple needs this dude on the payroll.

LOL. On my desk at work, I have both. Which is one way how I know that most of bigmanofds' post are full of crap and bias. :)

Dude, I was going to leave this alone but now its looks like you are f’ing with me since you called me by name. Everything you say is bias. The only thing you do is give bias opinions that you present as fact. You pick out the small details and over exaggerate them. I was getting ready to call you on that but I got busy and figured it’s really not worth it. This thread was supposed to be about HP, but as soon as anybody has anything good to say about Apple…ESPECIALLY ME…you get stupid. I am beginning to wonder about you…if I post stuff about Apple until the cows come home…WHY SHOULD YOU GIVE A DAMN. If you are what you say you are, you would not respond. I don’t know what your problem is with me, but we can solve it like a man face to face.

Dude, I was going to leave this alone but now its looks like you are f’ing with me since you called me by name. Everything you say is bias. The only thing you do is give bias opinions that you present as fact. You pick out the small details and over exaggerate them. I was getting ready to call you on that but I got busy and figured it’s really not worth it. This thread was supposed to be about HP, but as soon as anybody has anything good to say about Apple…ESPECIALLY ME…you get stupid. I am beginning to wonder about you…if I post stuff about Apple until the cows come home…WHY SHOULD YOU GIVE A DAMN. If you are what you say you are, you would not respond. I don’t know what your problem is with me, but we can solve it like a man face to face.

This dude wanna do face to face shit over some computer talk, LOL!! Just like a fanboy to get so defensive. I'm entitled to my opinion just as you are to yours. If you can't handle people responding to your posts, then you shouldn't be on a public forum. Don't get mad because I call you out when you point inaccurate information. It is a FACT, that iWork doesn't ship with all macs. It is a FACT that you can get Office for way less than $200? Those aren't my opinions, those are FACTS. It's simple, post accurate stuff, and I won't have anything to rebut. I didn't bring Apple into this thread, you did in post #2 and that's what I responded to. Question is, why do you give a DAMN about what I have to say, to the point where you're getting that worked up? You're taking this WAAAAY too seriously, even as I use LOL and :) in my posts. Chill out dude, and stop crying like a little bitch. :shame:

CT_Why%2Byou%2Bmad.jpg

Last edited:
HP by accident, has just increased webOS brand awareness by 100 fold. The Fire Sale going on has been a Crazy. I was going to wait for the iPad 3, but I was able to score a Touchpad at Best Buy on Saturday. They had to raffle off 3 others among 10 people. The internet has been abuzz with people trying to find one. Supposedly, HP built 2 million of these and are selling them at $99 and $150 respectively. webOS is not dead. They will license it; the Rumor is HTC and Samsung are interested. Those 2 are NOT happy with Google buy Motorola Mobility. With 2 million new customers, the App developer have an
incentive to pump out new Apps. HP is still planning on using webOS in printers and as a computer OS. I got a tablet that was $600 a month ago for $150. Can't complain.

HP by accident, has just increased webOS brand awareness by 100 fold. The Fire Sale going on has been a Crazy. I was going to wait for the iPad 3, but I was able to score a Touchpad at Best Buy on Saturday. They had to raffle off 3 others among 10 people. The internet has been abuzz with people trying to find one. Supposedly, HP built 2 million of these and are selling them at $99 and $150 respectively. webOS is not dead. They will license it; the Rumor is HTC and Samsung are interested. Those 2 are NOT happy with Google buy Motorola Mobility. With 2 million new customers, the App developer have an
incentive to pump out new Apps. HP is still planning on using webOS in printers and as a computer OS. I got a tablet that was $600 a month ago for $150. Can't complain.

That's great man. I know other people that are looking hard to find those touchpads at that price. There's also a project in the works that will port the Android operating system over to the touchpad. That should be interesting.

I bought one just because lol. You can signup on HP site and they will let you know when they have more in.

Back