How To Answer The 7 Most Important Job Interview Questions

Olde Hornet

So now that you’ve talked yourself up to yourself, how do you get ready to do the same in front of an interviewer? You never know when you’ll be thrown an interrogative curveball, but there are some likely questions you can definitely expect and be prepared for.

1) “Tell me a little about yourself”

What might seem like an innocuous question is actually a very important one. Interviewers often see this as a “warm up” question, and what’s more, it’s often an opening for more in-depth conversation.

How To Answer New, Hard Interview Questions Employers Now Ask

5 Morning Habits Of Highly Successful People​

In my experience as a career coach, I’ve developed a 4-part formula for acing this question.

Here goes:

1. Your story: How you tell your story will show the interviewer that you’re not just applying to jobs at random and counting your blessings that you got an interview. This is your chance to show them that they are dealing with someone with drive and direction. In telling your story, you should focus on the why that put you in that interview room, and give a compelling narrative trajectory to your career history. Focus on a story from childhood or a meaningful moment of clarity that helped stir in you the drive to follow your particular career path.
  2. The “cuff:” I call this one the cuff, because you want it to come across as “off the cuff.” That is, you want it to be short and sweet. This is your chance to address anything you might feel less than confident about on your resumé or application. Maybe you have a gap in your work history, or you left a job shortly after starting it. Recruiters usually pick up on these things, however, they may not give you another chance to address it in the interview. In speaking directly to a potential flaw or shortcoming that may otherwise be unaddressed, you come across as self-aware and proactive. Make sure to weave this in in a way that fits in with the overall narrative of your career.
  3. Your “golden skill:” Employers aren’t swayed by a candidate who over-emphasizes skills across the board. Instead, focus on a skill that relates closely to the job to which you are applying, and present it in a testimonial fashion. Remember, a “humble brag” plays better here than cockiness. In a study of HR professionals, 72% rated “over-confidence” as “the biggest personality turnoff.” An anecdote about how feedback from someone else helped you realize your strength in a certain area and how this impacted your career goals should do the trick.
  4. Your goal: This is how you tie a bow around a great story of your personal career trajectory. Think about what you are passionate about within your field and where you would like to see this passion take your career. Bring this goal around to the mission of the company to which you are applying. Hiring managers want candidates who they are confident will commit long term. By framing your career goals as aligned with the company’s mission, you’ll instill confidence in the interviewer that you’ll be a good hire who sticks around.

Back