How much does your coach make?

orange tiger

FAMU's Joe gets raise, extension

By Heath A. Smith
DEMOCRAT STAFF WRITER

Florida A&M football coach Billy Joe has received an $11,000 raise and a one-year extension that extends his reign over the Rattlers through the 2006 season.

Joe will now earn an annual salary of $135,000.

The contract revision partially addresses one concern Joe had as FAMU moves its football program into NCAA DivisionI-A competition. He said it would have been difficult for his staff to recruit for the 2004 season and beyond if his contract was only through 2005.

Joe said recruits seek assurances that the head coach will be there for the duration of their careers. Since he will have only three years remaining on his contract going into next February's signing period, Joe indicated he would seek another extension after this season.

Joe said without that commitment, it opens the door for other coaches to question his job security with recruits.

"I was given a raise and an extension. I view that as getting support from the administration," Joe said.
"I have a contract with FAMU that takes me through 2006, and I'm going to continue to work hard and long to put the best product on the field for the Rattlers."

FAMU interim athletic director J.R.E. Lee and president Fred Gainous said Friday that Joe has the support of the university.

"I want him (Joe) to be successful and lead the team," Lee said.

Joe has compiled a 228-94-4 record as a head coach, which ranked him second among active DivisionI-AA coaches. At FAMU, he has led the Rattlers to a 77-32 record and eight postseason appearances in nine years. Under his direction, the Rattlers have won four Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference titles and two Black College National Championships. FAMU reached the I-AA semifinals in 1999.

Back