How Louisiana Democrats Lost Before a Ballot Was Cast

Olde Hornet

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...O?cvid=7d31aeb527e34b23b220f7365cf3cb6d&ei=85

Before a single ballot was cast, Louisiana Democrats knew they couldn’t win control of the State Legislature this year. It was mathematically impossible, because a lack of candidates meant they were not even contesting the majority of districts.

Their best hope for political success rested with Shawn Wilson, a former state transportation secretary, and the expectation he would force a runoff against Jeff Landry, the state’s hard-line Republican attorney general, in an open primary for governor.

At least, Democrats reasoned, Mr. Wilson would make it a little harder for the overwhelmingly favored Republican to flip control of the governor’s mansion in a region increasingly dominated by conservatives.

But when Mr. Landry won a majority of the primary vote in October, eliminating the need for a runoff, the results instead laid bare the bleak conditions of a state Democratic Party decimated by internal divisions, paltry fund-raising totals and a disenchanted voter base.

“If my defeat brings about change and organization, so be it because it’s worthy of that — it deserves that kind of change,” Mr. Wilson said in an interview. “Our citizens deserve better than what we’re getting.”

Now just a handful of political offices and legislative seats are undecided as early voting for runoff elections begins Friday. Republicans are barreling toward uniting a conservative government for the first time in eight years, led by Mr. Landry, who has defended the state’s strict abortion ban, questioned the results of the 2020 electionand battled environmental regulation.

It is not the first time in recent years that Democrats have confronted the party’s dwindling influence in the South: Senator Mary L. Landrieu’s defeat in 2014 marked the end of a 138-year streak of at least one Democrat representing the state in the U.S. Senate. But even before the Nov. 18 election, some liberals are pushing the state party to consider deeper systemic changes ahead of high-stakes presidential and congressional elections.

Just over 36 percent of the electorate voted, and one analysis estimated that 17 percent of Black voters chose a Republican candidate in the governor primary, underscoring the extent of apathy and discontent among the voters who had rallied twice behind Gov. John Bel Edwards, a conservative Democrat limited to two terms.

John Couvillon, a longtime Republican pollster who analyzed precincts with at least 70 percent of registered Black voters, said the combination of some Black voters turning away from the Democratic candidate, the low turnout and a decline in registered Democrats made for “a whole new ballgame.”

Many Democrats acknowledged they had faced long odds in the governor’s race, given that Louisiana has become increasingly conservative and is historically prone to flip-flopping control of its highest post between parties. A combination of gerrymandering and increased polarization has also led to several centrists to either lose their political posts or leave the Democratic Party altogether.

Democrats will NEVER win control of a a heavily Black state in the Deep South. Give it up. The best "we" can do is local races ... mayor, school board, etc. White supremacists have solidified their power in the Deep South and we as Black people will never work well enough together to dismantle it. I mean the highest Black on Black violence rates are in the Deep South so yeah it's a done deal ... we fight more with each other than we fight white supremacy and it will remain that way until we die. I made peace with that so I don't even get mad no mo about Republicans winning

And here's the darker and sadder part, even if Democrats (Black or White) won big elections in the Deep South .... Black people wouldn't really benefit or move up from being at the bottom. The majority of our Black Democratic leaders are corrupt, evil, and only pretend to care about Black causes. All they really care about is power, money, and their ego stroke. So needless to say I've become more detached from politics b/c it's not working. Also the majority of the problems in the Black community is beyond what lawmakers can fix ... we got serious deep-rooted issues that we continue to ignore which is why things are getting worse in every way with us.

Last edited:
I am surprised she agreed to an interview.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AjZ7mkWf8o

She did this on purpose to offer a warning bell to Democrats.

And the point she is making there was not enough funding.

I will say you can have all the money in the world-it means nothing if folks are not motivated to VOTE.

Run off for Edwards saw 1.5 million voters.

1.0 this last election. What happened to the 508,597 voters? Covid wiped out that many folks???

She did this on purpose to offer a warning bell to Democrats.

And the point she is making there was not enough funding.

I will say you can have all the money in the world-it means nothing if folks are not motivated to VOTE.

Run off for Edwards saw 1.5 million voters.

1.0 this last election. What happened to the 508,597 voters? Covid wiped out that many folks???

I do not live in Louisiana anymore but feel that she needs to resign. She looks like to be part of the problem-a big part of the problem (link).

In my last post, the professor mentions that while Louisiana had a 36% turnout Kentucky had a 38% turnout. Sure, money is needed, but the democrats need to raise the money. Also, democrats cannot ignore their base but can be their own worse enemy.

One should not forget the statewide wins in Georgia this decade.

From the column:

For all the hand-wringing about the 36 percent turnout in Louisiana, turnout was almost as low in Kentucky, at 38 percent. The difference was that Andy Beshear targeted his specific voters and gave them a specific reason to turn out. Second, choice on abortion is a winning issue for Democrats, even in red states. And finally, don’t let your opponents outspend you. In every race the Democrats won on November 7, they outspent the Republicans, highlighting the need for a state party structure that can raise money.

Back