How important is a Master's degree today?

SIR_GRAM

Legend
To me it just seems like the value of a Bachelor's Degree has decreased from the past 20 years. So I would like to know, is a Master's really needed in today's society/ workplace. Is it depending on your field of study?
What about for business majors?

MBA, Master of Science (Concentration), MPA?

I think it is very important depending on the field and your goals. A master's could help you be noticed in a crowd of equally qualified applicants... could help you get promotions/raises also.

It's as important as a Bachelor's was years ago, for certain positions and/or fields. I guess I'll find all this out, when I look for a job whenever I relocate. Just another reason why I'll be working for myself eventually...cuz I'm not going back to school.

The Master's Degree is an important degree and becoming more significant each year. In previous generations, it was the high school degree which was the way of weeding out people for positions. In the recient past this became the Bachelor's Degree. With each generation succeeding the previous, the bar is being raised. I think that the reason that the Bachelor's Degree has lost value is that it is more obtainable than in the past and companies still need that way of seperating candidates for positions and telling them "no".

I think that the reason that the Bachelor's Degree has lost value is that it is more obtainable than in the past and companies still need that way of seperating candidates for positions and telling them "no".

So what are you saying that Undegraduate studies are easier now than it was 10 and 20 years ago?

Personally i think it somewhat depends on the field... but lot of companies today are more focused on experience. Dont get me wrong a masters degree is a huge plus when it comes to a resume presentation... But how important is it to have a masters without actually getting hands-on experience.

A masters degree holds value, but if you have no work experience you will struggle with finding work.

A masters degree holds value, but if you have no work experience you will struggle with finding work.

Yep. I suggest people go to work right after getting their bachelors and then get a master's while gaining experience. A plus to that is maybe your company will pay for it.

I keep trying to tell folks that. Unless you can DO the job, KNOWING HOW on PAPER...isn't really that helpful.

Yep. I suggest people go to work right after getting their bachelors and then get a master's while gaining experience. A plus to that is maybe your company will pay for it.

Yeah that was my plan. My company reimburses 100%. Now I'll have to do is actually apply somewhere. :rolly:

A master's degree in the professional fields of social work, business, nursing, public administration/policy, and divinity are increasingly vital here in the competitive metro Washington DC job market.

A master's degree is very important in the professional field of clinical social work. Currently, only a small percentage of BSW (Bachelor of Social Work) grads find jobs nationwide. Here in the Washington, DC metro area, A MSW (Master of Social Work) is required for nearly 90% of all social service jobs in the area.

Although I have one and wouldn't knock anyone for getting it I don't think it's special. It really doesn't mean a thing in my area. I need you to walk in an work today. Not give me a theoretical response. Hands on beats a paid piece of paper any day.

...I dont know if yall have noticed.

But a lot jobs I've seen (Accounting/Finance/Budget) be asking for a masters degree, but the salary sucks(mid 40's). What kind if isht is that?

Has anybody noticed this in other fields?

"Snake"

...I dont know if yall have noticed.

But a lot jobs I've seen (Accounting/Finance/Budget) be asking for a masters degree, but the salary sucks(mid 40's). What kind if isht is that?

Has anybody noticed this in other fields?

"Snake"

Wow that is low for those types of jobs. Haven't seen that here in Houston (yet).

https://wit.twc.state.tx.us/WORKINTEXAS/wtx

Depends on the location and job for Texas. Some are in the 45K range and some are over 100K.

But yeah most times state jobs will pay less than corporate-type jobs. The big oil companies out here are paying admins 40-60K with no degree in some cases.

....whoa :eek:

Texas State Government pays wayyyy more than GA. I did a search in the Dallas-Ft. Worth AND Houston area and was amazed of some the salaries I saw. I saw a lot of current vacancies.

Wow.

'Preciate that bruh :tup:

"Snake"

....whoa :eek:

Texas State Government pays wayyyy more than GA. I did a search in the Dallas-Ft. Worth AND Houston area and was amazed of some the salaries I saw. I saw a lot of current vacancies.

Wow.

'Preciate that bruh :tup:

"Snake"

The State of Texas always has several vacancies. I work for Texas Department of Family and Protective Services and we are not that high on the totem pole. Alot of persons come for the experience in social work and investigations. It is very flexible though, and the benefits are pretty good.

That is the way to go. A lot of times, the coursework in a Master's program will make more sense if you have work experience or can apply what you are learning in your work environment.

Well....a Master's Degree (or a PhD for that matter) is very helpful if you are focused on a career in Education.

But if you are into Technology, a Master's can help...but not as much as that Certification.

Back