How do you format your C: drive ???

Tara

Administrator
I am trying to format my C: drive but I continuously get messages that state that I do not have permission, but I thought that it could be done.

Help !!! :(

Formatt Drive

What version of Windows do you have. And what kind of PC. You have to create a start up disk for certain PC's

STOP!! Tara you may have to rethink what you are trying to do.

Tara,
Your C-Drive is like your brain. If you format your brain, what will you replace it with?

With a computer, you need to have an Operating Systems (OS) CD or Floppies. With a format of the C-Drive, I am assuming that you are about to reload your PC. If that is not the case you do not need to format your C-Drive. Microsoft knows this, that is why they make it hard for users to accedently format their C-Drive. So you have to know more that just format ->click on C-Drive. So lets answer your question. In order to format the C-Drive you must do one of two things. 1. Re-Boot your workstation with a floopy and have the format executable on the floppy as well. 2. Bring up a Dos window and type:> format C: and answer yes when the OS ask "Are you sure??" Most of the time the answer is no. Format erases the drive you are formating.

NOTE: if you are reloading the OS, The Installation or RE-Installation will automatically format your C-Drive for you. Unless you check not to format C-Drive.

:D

Tara,
If you are reloading win95 or win98 you may have to reload your system files to your drive before it takes the OS. If you have win98SE or any newer version the system files will automatically be installed and the install should go smooth. If you do not have all of the discs for a complete re-install or you do not want to lose any data just reload you windows disk. This normally repairs most issues and does not delete any of your data.

Reformatting a hard drive? I don't even want to get started on that. I reformatted my hard drive and it wasn't funny!

One question: How did you try to format it? Are you trying to go through the OS or are you trying to format in DOS mode? I don't think you would get a password if you were going through DOS mode.

Like the others said: Make sure you have all the discs that you need (i.e. sound card, video card, programs that didn't come with your OS, etc.) If not, you're in for pure "L" once you format!

And if you are getting rid of everything and starting over from scratch, you need to go in the BIOS and change your settings so when you restart your computer, your CD-ROM drive will be listed as the first place to look for the OS CD.

Have fun!

Thanks everyone! I figured it out and it turned out fine.

Now my computer is running so fresh and so clean ... :D

I actually cleaned off my laptop about a week ago......It was sluggish as heyell.....some people had been on it downloading any and evathang, I didnt know what was on it. Now it's also "So Fresh and So Kleen"

Back