How do you feel about this?

Panther88

Banned
More than 400 Montgomery County residents found themselves without healthcare assistance Wednesday after the Attorney General's Office released an opinion that hospital districts should not pay for non-emergency medical care for undocumented illegal aliens. Members of the Montgomery County Hospital District Board of Directors reluctantly agreed Monday night to approve the policy that denies illegal aliens medical assistance.
"I think it is very sad to deny any human being health care," said board member Marie Wilcoxson. According to the opinion, "the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 prohibits (a district) from providing free or discounted non-emergency health care to undocumented aliens, even if they reside within the district's boundaries."
David Hernandez, director of the MCHD Health Care Assistance program, said it is unfortunate for many people.
"They are not eligible for ongoing medical care," Hernandez said. "They can go anywhere, but they will have to pay."
Hernandez said there are some options for those denied services. He said they can go to the South County Clinic or use the Mobile Medical Clinic.
"It is a bad thing, but we have to abide by the law," Hernandez said. "I feel like the board members do: They didn't want to do it but they had no choice." Hernandez said it is unfair because <b>the illegal aliens are paying taxes but can't receive services that tax dollars fund. "They pay taxes every time they go to the grocery store, every time they pump gas. They do jobs other people won't do," he said. "Not only here in Montgomery County, but throughout the states, people that are undocumented pay taxes one way or the other. The government will take the money; but when it comes down to services, it's a different story."</b>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's deep. I'll reserve my comments for now.

Why should illegal aliens receive any type of medical assistance when there are million of Americans who don't have health care. If those illegal aliens want health care...try going back to your original country or trying to become a naturalized citizen. Laws are laws. It's too many illegal aliens over here anyway. They must be giving away driver's licenses. There's enough of em driving around crashing into folk.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
ROTF @ this child

Lawd, I dun **fell out** again @ NN......this boy is wild.

Wheeeeeeeeeewwwwww, somebody hep me up off dis hea flo pleez.

:emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh:

I do have to agree with NN tho....ROTF:D

Originally posted by NASTYNUPE
Why should illegal aliens receive any type of medical assistance when there are million of Americans who don't have health care. If those illegal aliens want health care...try going back to your original country or trying to become a naturalized citizen. Laws are laws. It's too many illegal aliens over here anyway. They must be giving away driver's licenses. There's enough of em driving around crashing into folk.

I agree in principle, but you also have to think about the fact that if they don't get medical treatment, what they have will eventually spread to other folks. Think about it. Their kids go to school with ours and we come in contact with them at grocery stores and other places. You never noticed how kids are healthy all summer but they get sick when school comes around? Kids pass germs on to each other. The little ones don't know that they shouldn't touch or eat and drink after everybody (even if they know they seem to forget when we're not around them).

Easy solution

To take what you said a step further...maybe the government should look towards deporting some of these illegal aliens so we won't have to worry about them spreading their illegal germs all over the place in the first place. If I went to Moscow, do you think I would get medical benefits? Hell, if I went to Africa, would I get medical benefits? I think not. They'd send my Black American azz back to Louisiana.

Originally posted by jag4life

I agree in principle, but you also have to think about the fact that if they don't get medical treatment, what they have will eventually spread to other folks. Think about it. Their kids go to school with ours and we come in contact with them at grocery stores and other places. You never noticed how kids are healthy all summer but they get sick when school comes around? Kids pass germs on to each other. The little ones don't know that they shouldn't touch or eat and drink after everybody (even if they know they seem to forget when we're not around them).

I think it's wrong to deny anyone help. In this case it is wrong to not give medical care when someone is sick or hurt. However, that is not the problem. The problem is why are these people not being picked up and deported??? :confused: If you know that they are illegal aliens why the heck are you treating them and then letting them go? They should be treated just like if they were on the run. You show up in hospital and after I treat you INS takes you back. I realize this would probably stop them from getting treatment. But as the man said the law is the law!! I agree with him. Stop being hypocritical!! Don't take their money, but deny them rights!! If they're wrong, send them on!!! Or try to naturalize them. But no double standard!!

LOL @ NN x2

I agree with NN and BengalE

Local governments should not be taking care of or providing services for noncitizens and illegal aliens. With public $$$$ being in short supply, we got to take care of our own (legal residents). The line has to be drawn somewhere. Sorry, but if they require medical attention, they need to head back to Mexico or pay for it themselves.

The problem is this azz backwards country we live in are always so quick to help out others before they help their own....that's the freakin' problem.:redhot:

*please remember that I am a US citizen

please reread and process....

Originally posted by Pis- uh, Panthro
[illegal aliens] "are paying taxes but can't receive services that tax dollars fund. 'They pay taxes every time they go to the grocery store, every time they pump gas. They do jobs other people won't do, ... Not only ... in Montgomery County, but throughout the states, people that are undocumented pay taxes one way or the other. The government will take the money; but when it comes down to services, it's a different story.'"

Also, the point made about untreated illnesses being spread to "good red-blooded Americans" is important. Furthermore, let's say an illegal alien dies. Dont tax dollars have to pay the coroner's office? and the county morgue and cemetary??

Remember, just because they are illegal aliens, they are not illegal humans. Citizenship should not impair nor affect in any way matters of humanity.

Please also dont forget that African-Americans and Native Americans were not legally considered "citizens" in this country for too many sad decades.

A crime against humanity was wrong then and it still is today.

Also, don't doctors take the Hypocratic(sp?) oath which pretty much says that they have to give care when needed no matter what the circumstance?

The hospitals shouldn't be put in a situation where they have to turn someone away because the INS is not doing its job.

The hospitals shouldn't be put in a situation where they have to turn someone away because the INS is not doing its job.

you are correct sir - the INS needs to be on its job!!

Hassan,
You make some damn good points, but at the same time, the line has to be drawn somewhere. The govt. simply cannot be responsible for taking care of people who are here illegally. If that was the case, then sick people from all over the world can move here and have the U.S. take care of them. I don't consider it a crime against humanity if taking care of my own means that I can't take care of you. I call it being responsible to oneself.

jag4life,
Hospitals turning patients away is not new. I used to work at a large public hospital in Atl (Grady). It is a large regional facility funded by Fulton County and Dekalb County to treat indigent patients from those two counties. Poor folks from other surrounding counties always showed up there for treatment and the simple fact is that they really didn't receive it, nor should they have received it. Should I as a taxpayer in one of these counties, pay for folks from other counties to be treated? I think not. Medical care cost $$$$$$. There's only so much that any institution can absorb and stay afloat. Providing so many services and not being reimbursed at all will be the deathknell of public hospitals. The line has to be drawn to maintain at least minimal care for qualified citizens.

mighty hornet,
The people that are using these free care hospitals do pay taxes. It might only be sales and property taxes, but they do pay. They don't pay income taxes.

Also, the people that are running these hospitals want to treat these people. Here in Houston they were going to ignore the Attorney General's orders until he threatened to arrest anyone who gives treatment to these people.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Double standards in AmeriKKKa

Let's see, it has been brought up that it would be a crime against humanity to not accept an illegal alien into a hospital for medical care...even though they're not a legal citizen just because they are sick. Treat them and then send them back is what I'm reading.

However lawmakers are going through hoops to abolish Affirmative Action. Minority Americans are no longer able to be granted access to certain educational benefits, certain jobs, and other "good ole boy" priviledges because "That's just not constitutional".

Well I'll be damned. I'm sorry. I'm not being cold hearted, but I drive by too many intersections and see too many homeless people, down and out VETERANS and I drive through S. Dallas and see too many of my people(children involved) living a hellish life and not receiving any type of help from the government. Why is it that a US Verteran of WWII and/or Vietnam is living like a bum on the street with no benefits because he doesn't measure up to a particular social-economic standard? But you mean to tell me you want to skip over our own citizens and provide assistance to some illegal alien who's over here illegally in the first place??? You can't compare being Black American(I don't consider myself African American...I was born in America)...the slavery thing...to some refugee floating over here on an innertube. We didn't have a choice. But since you brought us over here...and we built this damn nation...got dammit give us our rights! That's what the entire purpose of the civil rights movement was for. But if you're coming over here on a wing and a prayer and expect for my hard earned tax dollars to take care of you while you go out and fix up a Ford and run me off the road on 635 and play the "I no speaka no English" card when the law comes(if you even stop) and expect me to agree with that, you've got another one coming.

If you want your benefits...go about it the RIGHT WAY!!! I know America is a melting pot and all, but we have to take care of our own first!!!

Pat Buchanan send help

We believe assimilation and national unity should be the guiding principles in formulating immigration policy and support initiatives that end illegal immigration, reduce legal immigration to manageable levels, and emphasize integration of immigrants and their communities.

We believe the Second Amendment gives law-biding Americans the right to own and use personal firearms for sport or safety.

We believe that all forms of discrimination are wrong and oppose any policy that prejudices or prefers individuals or groups on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity, or national origin.

NN will enter politics in about 5 more years. Oh you better get ready for it.

NN entering politics........whaaaaaaaattttt

aaaaaawwwwww sucky sucky now......ROTF

:emlaugh:

NN,
You're talking about something on a much larger scale than the topic at hand. Homeless people, veterans, and poor people can all use these hospitals. There is nothing there to stop them.

I agree that illegals shouldn't have better priviledges than our own citizens.

On the contrary, no medical insurance...and they won't even see you. I got food poisoning back in Feb. I went to 3 urgent care providers trying to get medical attention. I couldn't even sit down good before I was told "We no longer take Blue Cross/Blue Shield...you need an appointment(WTF..isn't this Urgent Care)...yada yada yada" Basically "Negro, don't you see all of these affluent ofays in here...we won't treat you" So I had to go to the hospital where they tried to charge everything under the sun to my insurance. 5 bucks for some aspirin? WTF??? But before I could even tell her how my stomach felt like ish, I had to answer 10 mins worth of "medical insurance" questions. What if I would have been a bum on the street. Do you think they would have seen me? HELL NO!!! It is all relevant. We need to stop taking chunks of the issue and address the entire thing.

Now if that same situation would happen to some illegal alien...and a law was passed to accept all illegal aliens because we are the humanitarians of the universe...and I'm stuck in my car puking all over myself...ALL HELL WOULD BREAK LOSE!!!

NN,
You're talking about something on a much larger scale than the topic at hand. Homeless people, veterans, and poor people can all use these hospitals. There is nothing there to stop them.

I agree that illegals shouldn't have better priviledges than our own citizens.

You have insurance. Totally different. There wouldn't be a problem if they had insurance. These people are using "free" hospitals, like Ben Taub in Houston. You and I can't use those because we have insurance or a way to pay.

I see you have Blue Cross/Blue Shield. Yesterday the whole Memorial Hermann hospital system decided to no longer accept that insurance. That's 3000 doctors and 150,000+ patients. That's just the ones working for the city.

These people are using "free" hospitals
Aint nothing free!!!!! The patient may not pay out of pocket but you better believe somebody is paying for it. And I just can't see myself wanting to pay for somebody who is here illegally in the first place.

You're right MH

Originally posted by mighty hornet

Aint nothing free!!!!! The patient may not pay out of pocket but you better believe somebody is paying for it. And I just can't see myself wanting to pay for somebody who is here illegally in the first place.

Me.....my black azz is paying for it with tax dollars.:redhot:

I must say that hassan and jag4life posted some very excellent comments. The issue of spreading germs among kids is a real one. As bad as rural health care is in this country (I have seen it with my own eyes.), it is worst in many other countries in this hemisphere alone. As much as rural health care is lacking in the U.S., it is woefully lacking in some other countries.

While this issue maybe a local issue, issues of colonization, "free trade", and foriegn relations come into play too. Our country refuses to adequately address the issue of healthcare. As Channel 13's Marvin Zindler of Houston says, "it is H*** to be poor."

As for Grady hospital, the problem with Grady and the Atlanta is that the surrounding countries around Fulton and Dekalb and the state as a whole are very azz backwards when it concerns indigent care. For instance it really does not help to be poor and live in Gwinnett County despite its growth.

I have to run but will be back later.

Aight! My $.02...

The fight is on to decrease funding to those who don't have! Check it out. We all agree that some of us pay more taxes than others. Just a matter of percentages.

Now look at where the needy folks are located? I would say that 75% exist in urban settings while additional 14% live in rural areas. Now if funding has to be set aside on a local level to enforce these type of laws AND regulate and navigate the SYSTEM, then who the Hell will feel the crunch when additional taxes are levied? It sure as hell won't be Buffy & Biff living in suburbia! They will insist that those facilities that are prevalent to those folks WITHOUT insurance must pay to uphold the law "because it just doesn't happen over here!"

In other words, be careful of the trickle down affect! Illegals don't live next door to B & B. They try to make ends meet like everybody else!

I just have a problem with categorizing and segregating folks! Who's to say that they won't stop with citizenship? What about "How much have you paid in taxes since you were 15 y-o?" or gross income? The more you pay, the better "treatment" you deserve! I'm tellin' yea! Once that ball gets to rolling, it ain't nuffin nice!

Back