Houston Astros fire manager and general manager over sign-stealing scandal

MLB lets one group slide when doling out punishment to Astros: the actual players

Kent Somers, Arizona Republic

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred handed down such severe punishment on Monday afternoon to Houston Astros manager A.J. Hinch and general manager Jeff Luhnow that within an hour or so both had the word “former” attached to their job titles.

But one significant part of the Astros team avoided punishment: the players.

That's a bit of a surprise because according to the commissioner’s statement on Monday, “witnesses consistently describe this scheme as player-driven.”

Yet, the players are the only ones directly involved in the scheme who get to carry on with their careers unimpeded.

The reason? The cheating was too pervasive, involved too many of them, and some may have thought their conduct was condoned and encouraged by the club, Manfred wrote in his statement.

The Lane Is Open For The Astros To Rehire Franchise Starter Bo Porter
Let the man who started the Astros championship rebuild, restore integrity and finish his breakfast.

J.R. Gamble January 14, 2020

Jeff Passan said it best in his Tweet concerning the fall out from the Houston Astros technologically-engineered sign-stealing scandal that has resulted in the firing of manager AJ Hinch, General Manager Jeff Luhnow and most likely Alex Cora, now a World Series-winning manager with the Red Sox.

Now let’s study the rest of this situation. How everything that is happening is part of the irony of life. When Bo Porter was fired as Astros manager in 2014 before the end of the season, he left having totally transformed the culture of the team.

I just saw this.

----------

Twitter trend

Red Sox manager Alex Cora fired in sign stealing scandal

BOSTON (AP) -- The Boston Red Sox fired manager Alex Cora on Tuesday, a day after baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred implicated him in the sport's sign-stealing scandal.

Cora was the bench coach for the Houston Astros when they won the 2017 World Series and led Boston to the title the following year in his first season as manager. Astros manager AJ Hinch and general manager Jeff Luhnow were fired on Monday, an hour after Manfred suspended them for the 2020 season for their role in the cheating scheme.

Last edited:
I just saw this.

----------

Twitter trend

Red Sox manager Alex Cora fired in sign stealing scandal

BOSTON (AP) -- The Boston Red Sox fired manager Alex Cora on Tuesday, a day after baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred implicated him in the sport's sign-stealing scandal.

Cora was the bench coach for the Houston Astros when they won the 2017 World Series and led Boston to the title the following year in his first season as manager. Astros manager AJ Hinch and general manager Jeff Luhnow were fired on Monday, an hour after Manfred suspended them for the 2020 season for their role in the cheating scheme.

Hope they saved some money

Reactions: EB
Strike One

This is suppose to be the "golden age" of Houston Astro baseball.

Strike Two

Strike Three

3 Strikes you're out at the old ball game...

When it comes to Red Sox-Yankees and Astros-Yankees, I am for the Red Sox and Astros. However, I do not blame a Yankee fan for being mad at all.

Also, when it comes to Dodgers-Yankees, I am for the Dodgers. I do not blame the Dodgers for being mad either.

Note the date of the column.

----------

Red Sox can stake claim as one of the greatest teams in baseball history
By Dan Shaughnessy Globe Columnist, October 28, 2018, 11:27 p.m.

LOS ANGELES — You can go back to bed now, New England. There’ll be no more late October nights watching the Red Sox thrash assorted Yankees, Astros, and Dodgers.

The 2018 baseball season is over and the Boston Red Sox are World Series champions for the fourth time in 15 seasons. Led by David Price’s seven-plus stellar innings and home runs by Steve Pearce (two), Mookie Betts, and J.D. Martinez, the Sox defeated the Dodgers, 5-1, in Dodger Stadium (a.k.a. “Fenway West”) Sunday night, winning the 114th Fall Classic in dominant fashion.

Yet Pete Rose is still banned (I know it is in every locker room but this is no doubt worse but only a handful will be fall guys and probably be back in the game within a year or two)

I think we're gonna find that a whole bunch of teams were actively involved in some form of elaborate sign-stealing. Alex Cora, who was fired by Boston, intimated last season after a series against the Yankees in London, that Carlos Beltran (who was working for Yankees front office) had something to do with New York scoring 29 runs in two games.

Wish the nfl had this much integrity to actually do something to this extent against New England whom continuously cheats.

None of the players -- who were ACTUALLY executing the cheating -- have been punished. And the commissioner said they won't be. Not much integrity in my opinion.

Yet Pete Rose is still banned (I know it is in every locker room but this is no doubt worse but only a handful will be fall guys and probably be back in the game within a year or two)

Different thing he is banned for and the comparisons don't match. I don't support Pete Rose being reinstated until they do it for Shoeless Joe Jackson.

I may be a little naive.

Certainly haven't played baseball in a very long time.

But...aren’t you supposed to try to steal signs in baseball? I thought that was part of the game. Thought that was why catchers changed signs when someone was on second. Why coaches or managers switched signs up every so often. I thought you were supposed to try to figure out what they were signaling to give yourself and your team any advantage you could get.

When did stealing signs in baseball become ”cheating” or a scandal?

It's because of the way they did it that's the problem.

The innerwebs....

82130420_10216243574258816_1960262458744504320_o.jpg

I may be a little naive.

Certainly haven't played baseball in a very long time.

But...aren’t you supposed to try to steal signs in baseball? I thought that was part of the game. Thought that was why catchers changed signs when someone was on second. Why coaches or managers switched signs up every so often. I thought you were supposed to try to figure out what they were signaling to give yourself and your team any advantage you could get.

When did stealing signs in baseball become ”cheating” or a scandal?

It was using technology to do it that was the problem. It wasn’t like the Astros picked up the signs by just guys observing the other team’s signs on the field. They had a camera positioned in stadium that focused specifically on the catcher.

Ah. I see. I should have paid closer attention to the story.

Yes and it came out today that at least one player was wearing a wire and getting buzzed whenever they knew certain pitches were coming

Tony La Russa has been implicated today as well for doing this. This is why MLB tried to nip it in the bud with the Astros but each day a new revelation comes out

I will not act surprised by their comments.

----------

Justin Turner, Dodgers speak out on Astros cheating scandal, don't want a make-up trophy

Liz Roscher
Yahoo Sports Jan 25, 2020, 5:06 PM

The Los Angeles Dodgers held their annual FanFest on Saturday, and players like Justin Turner, Ross Stripling and Enrique Hernandez were there to mingle with fans. They were also there to answer questions about the only thing anyone wants to talk about: the Houston Astros cheating scandal.

It was the first time since the commissioner released the nine-page report on the Astros’ illegal sign stealing that any Dodgers players were available to answer questions from the media. They’ve had a lot of time to think about how the Astros had been cheating as they beat the Dodgers in seven games to win the 2017 World Series, but that didn’t stop them from being brutally honest about how they felt.

-----

View: https://twitter.com/BillShaikin/status/1221199556462837760

Back