Hot High School Basketball Players

JagBR

Tasmin Mitchell---Denham Springs High School
Denham Springs, La.

This guy is so good ....he may skip College and go to the NBA.
He scored 37 points to put his team past Tara High of Baton Rouge 71-54 on Friday night.

Are there any other outstanding players?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Originally posted by JagBR
Denham Springs, La.

He scored 37 points to put his team past Tara High of Baton Rouge 71-54 on Friday night.

Ain't this one of the schools that'll be in Jackson on Monday???

Originally posted by JagBR
Denham Springs, La.

He's only a Junior, but he needs to learn to handle the ball better . He is killing these high schoolers, but he's only 6'7 so he needs some handles for the next level.

Re: Re: Hot High School Basketball Players

Originally posted by Robber
Ain't this one of the schools that'll be in Jackson on Monday???

Yeah, they square off against Lanier, featuring Monta Ellis. He and Mitchell are the top two players in their class.

Dwight Howard from Southwest Atlanta Christian High School is supposedly skipping college and will be a #1 pick in the NBA draft.

ESPN will be showing one of their games on Jan 30. (against Landmark Christian, who has a center that is a big time prospect

Robber, Tasmin Mitchell was in Jackson last summer too.... in that AAU tournament that Stamps and the Jackson Tigers held. I watched him. He's ok, but he ain't no Monta Ellis! :lol:

Hey MH. Have you heard of Josh Smith? He was Dwight Howard's AAU teammate with the Atlanta Celtics. He played in Powder Springs, GA last year but transferred to Oak Hill Academy this season. Anyway, he's a top 5 player too, who's expected to enter the draft.

Peabody Magnet High School in Alexandria, LA is ranked 6th in the nation by USA Today Super 25 poll. Maybe a few coaches needs to go there to check out some of that talent. They are currently 23-0 and have beaten teams in Texas and Mississippi.

USA Today Super 25

Originally posted by JAG89
Peabody Magnet High School in Alexandria, LA is ranked 6th in the nation by USA Today Super 25 poll. Maybe a few coaches needs to go there to check out some of that talent. They are currently 23-0 and have beaten teams in Texas and Mississippi.

USA Today Super 25

Last year WOODLAWN HIGH SCHOOL in BATON ROUGE was ranked #8 in the nation in basketball. They're struggling this year. All of their starters graduated.

January 20, 2004

Ellis scores 38 to boost No. 1 Lanier

Junior guard outshines Denham Springs star
By Bill Spencer
bspencer@clarionledger.com

With two of the nation's top juniors on display in Monday's Battle of the Border, Lanier's Dandy Dozen guard Monta Ellis and the Bulldogs put on a convincing show.

Ellis scored 38 points and added 7 rebounds, 7 assists, 6 steals and 5 blocked shots as Lanier pounded Tasmin Mitchell and Denham Springs (La.) 72-51 at the Mississippi Coliseum before an estimated 7,500 that included a host of college coaches.

Dandy Dozen senior center Charles Rhodes had 15 points and 16 rebounds for Lanier, 17-2 and ranked No. 1 in The Clarion-Ledger MHSAA boys basketball poll. The Bulldogs, unbeaten in Mississippi, built a 39-23 halftime lead behind Ellis' 21 points.

Jeremy Thomas paced Denham Springs, 20-5, with 22 points. The 6-foot-7 Mitchell, rated the nation's No. 2 junior by Hoop Scoop, had 20 points and at least 10 rebounds for the Yellow Jackets, ranked No. 2 among Class 5A Louisiana teams.

Clearly, however, Ellis relished the spotlight in the same arena where he has led Lanier to 4A state finals the past two seasons. He tallied 17 points in a torrid first quarter as the Bulldogs blitzed Denham Springs 25-7 and never looked back.

"Monta is ready every game," Lanier coach Thomas Billups said of the 6-3 Ellis, who is averaging 34.1 points per outing. "It doesn't matter. He's just ready to play when it's game time."

Ellis tossed in nine points in the third quarter as the quicker Bulldogs stretched their lead to 23 points.

"I was ready to play because of the hype this game had," said Ellis, rated the nation's No. 8 junior by Hoop Scoop. "I came out in warmups and got the feel of the floor.

"Coach told us to get the ball and push it and see if Mitchell could run the floor. When we saw that he couldn't, we just kept on doing it."

The 6-9 Rhodes and 6-5 senior forward Sean Johnson drew the task of checking Mitchell, who had just seven second-half points.

"We let Sean play Mitchell straight-up man-to-man and Charles came from the back side," Billups said. "Charles did a heck of a job. When you play Mitchell and get 15 points and 16 rebounds, you should be ranked among the top 25 or 30 players in the country."

Rhodes, a former summertime teammate of Mitchell's, was primed for their meeting.

"I wanted to come out and prove a point to Mississippi and Louisiana," said Rhodes, a Mississippi State signee. "Tasmin and I were both pumped up for this game."

Denham Springs coach Paul Smith left Jackson thoroughly impressed with Lanier, which took USA Today No. 1 Oak Hill Academy of Virginia to the wire before falling 80-75 in December.

"Lanier is tough," Smith said. "I don't know who's going to beat them. Monta Ellis was very tough. Lanier was able to play a lot of players. They'll run you down in a full game.

"We went to the Beach Ball Classic in Myrtle Beach, S.C., and Lanier is as good as anybody there."

Mitchell said he and the Yellow Jackets learned a valuable lesson against Lanier.

"We just basically came up here for experience," Mitchell said. "We know Lanier is a big-time team. They lost to Oak Hill by five points.

"But we didn't give up. Lanier has a good ballclub. They'll go far."

r0120ai.jpg

Monta Ellis

In related news, the other 2 Louisiana teams whooped the Mississippi teams. Louisiana 2A school, University beat #5 ranked Callaway 69-66, and Bonnabel beat #2 Provine 59-48.

Originally posted by Robber
In related news, the other 2 Louisiana teams whooped the Mississippi teams. Louisiana 2A school, University beat #5 ranked Callaway 69-66, and Bonnabel beat #2 Provine 59-48.

Yep. Provine is overrated and Callaway is poorly coached. Taking nothing away from the Louisiana teams though. University looked pretty good!

Originally posted by Prodigy
Hey MH. Have you heard of Josh Smith? He was Dwight Howard's AAU teammate with the Atlanta Celtics. He played in Powder Springs, GA last year but transferred to Oak Hill Academy this season. Anyway, he's a top 5 player too, who's expected to enter the draft.
I've read about Josh Smith, but I didnt know he left McEachern for Oak Hill

I don't follow Atl high school bball that much. It's okay, but the power is in South Ga

Yeah MH, he left McEachern. These folks over here were hot!!! :emlaugh: Now they're really pissed cause we (South Cobb) are sitting on top of the region! :lmao:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I missed this hyped up game Friday and didnt watch it on espn either. I went to my high school (I saw one of the most amazing finishes I've ever seen in girls bball)
enswac, guess who was playing? and guess who won??
LMAO!!!!!!

Big men shine, but Landmark surges to victory

By DERRICK MAHONE
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

Alexander Memorial Coliseum may be the future home for Landmark Christian senior Randolph Morris, and Friday he felt comfortable on Georgia Tech's campus.

With the aid of his teammates, the second-ranked War Eagles upset top-ranked Southwest Atlanta Christian 73-71 before 5,032 and a national ESPN2 audience to snap a 10-game losing streak against the Warriors.

In a game billed as the "Battle of the Big Men," Howard, a potential NBA lottery pick, finished with 25 points, 11 rebounds and four blocked shots before fouling out with 1:17 remaining. Morris had 25 points, 15 rebounds and five blocked shots in avenging a Jan. 10 loss to the Warriors.

"It was another one of those Muhammad Ali-Joe Frazier matchups," Howard said.

"I'm just trying to bust him, because he is the No. 1 prospect," Morris said. "I felt real comfortable over here. I've have no trouble playing over here. [But] I haven't made up my mind."

When Howard left the game on a charging foul, his fifth, SACA (20-1) was nursing a 65-64 lead after Landmark junior point guard Justin Holland hit a 3-pointer. After the charge, Landmark regained possession of the ball.

Morris took advantage of Howard being out of the game. He hit a follow layup with 1 minute remaining to give the War Eagles their first lead of the game at 66-65.

From there, Landmark was able to seal the victory, never trailing again.

"This victory means a lot to us," Holland said as he walked off the court with tears in his eyes. "This time we were able to pull off the win. I've been wanting to beat them the last three years. I wanted this bad."

Landmark led 70-65 before Warriors guard Javaris Critten- ton hit a 3-pointer. But it was clutch free-throw shooting in the last 20 minutes that made the difference.

"The intensity level went from our side to their side," Howard said.

The key for each coach is getting his team re-energized for games today. Landmark takes on Bowdon in a region game, while SACA plays Class AA Decatur at Atlanta Metropolitan College.

Morris has narrowed his choices to Kentucky, Georgia Tech and the NBA. Kentucky coach Tubby Smith and Tech's Paul Hewitt were among the spectators at the game. A Georgia Tech fan made a pitch at Morris, holding a sign saying, "Randolph, make yourself at home" as the 7-footer was shooting jump shots in pregame warmups.

Not only did the game thrust basketball in the state into the national spotlight, but Landmark's win also tied the teams for first place in Region 5-A. The region tournament begins Feb. 9 at Heard County, and the teams could play again.

Morris and Howard are good friends and AAU teammates. Last summer, they were featured in Sports Illustrated after leading the Atlanta Celtics to the national champion- ship.

"I enjoy seeing these guys battle," said Wallace Prather, who coached both players in the Atlanta Celtics organization.

"It will be a while before we see another classic battle like this."

There's a 6'8" player name Tarius (?) Thomas at McKinley High school that is some kinda special. I heard that he was a 6'1" guard last year who grew to 6'8" and was the talk of AAU summer ball. He still has guard skils in his ball handling and often brings it up the court after the rebound aka Magic Johnson.

In the games, I've seen he's very unselfish but capable of taking over and asserting himself defensively. I think he had 8 blocks against Redemptorist in a recent key district game.

Dude can ball...He'll probably go to a major conference but he would be something nice to see in the SWAC. I gotta make a trip back down to the bottom and see if I can do some recruiting.

February 6, 2004

Prentiss' Jefferson hits 62 before NBA scouts

By Bill Spencer
bspencer@clarionledger.com

Al Jefferson of Prentiss has always been difficult to contain during his high school basketball career.

Last March, he averaged 44.7 points in three Boys State Tournament games as the Bulldogs won the Class 3A state championship.

This season, however, the 6-foot-9, 260-pound Dandy Dozen senior has taken his game to a new level.

With at least a half-dozen NBA scouts in attendance Tuesday night, Jefferson tossed in a career-high 62 points, grabbed 21 rebounds and blocked 11 shots in a 104-78 victory over Magee at Prentiss.

Even more amazing is the fact that Jefferson fouled out with 3 minutes to play.

Jerry West of the Memphis Grizzlies was among the NBA representatives on hand. Jefferson, an Arkansas signee, appears to be headed for the pros straight from the prep ranks when the NBA draft is staged in June.

All the attention doesn't seem to faze Jefferson, who turned 19 in January.

"Jerry West told somebody that he'd take Al right now if he could," Prentiss coach Lonnie McLemore said. "Al knew that West would be there. It doesn't bother him. He doesn't even change his temperament. If it was me, I would be scared to death."

Jefferson, who's leaner and meaner this season, actually is flirting with a 40-point scoring average ? a feat that hasn't happened in Mississippi boys hoops since 1989 when Myrtle's William Earl Berry (45.0) and Murrah's James Robinson (40.7) both pulled it off.

Nobody has held Jefferson under 30 points all season. He has tallied 57 against Tylertown, 56 against Raleigh and 54 against Columbia. He also hit 41 points each against 5A members Hattiesburg and Starkville.

"Al has been playing real well lately," McLemore said. "He's a lot quicker this year, and I guess he's more experienced, knowing more about what he's going to do."

Jefferson's 62-point game is the most in this state since Lionel Gaines of Biggersville rang up 69 in 2002.

Max Palmer of Walnut scored what is believed to be a state-record 78 points in 1947.

A certain pick for the 27th annual McDonald's All-American Game on March 31 at Oklahoma City, Jefferson is in great demand for postseason all-star contests.

He has been invited to the USA Hoop Summit on April 4 at San Antonio during Final Four weekend and the Michael Jordan Classic on April 17 at Washington, D.C.

Prentiss, 16-7, is at home against Richland tonight in a Division 6-3A game.

r0206d.jpg

Al Jefferson of Prentiss, on his way to a
48-point game against Choctaw Central
last year, is averaging approximately 40
points as a senior.

I don't know about top players but my home has the #7 team in the nation.

Cedar Hill Longhorns of Cedar Hill, TX.

Originally posted by Da_Sperm
I don't know about top players but my home has the #7 team in the nation.

Cedar Hill Longhorns of Cedar Hill, TX.

They have a very highly touted player in Jason Horton. He's a Mizzou signee and McDonald's All-American candidate. He's the younger brother of Michigan's Daniel Horton.

They also have Roderick Adams, a SW Texas signee.

They also have a lil sister that is a Junior on the Cedar Hill Girls team that is lighting it up.

I know Older Horton is doing pretty good at Michigan. Lil Horton probably would have went but Michigan was hit hard with probation. He has developed a nice jump shot so he is very dangerous. It is impossible to shut down his passing game, and now he has a good jump shot, he is hard to stop.

Also from Baton Rouge Matthew Barrow of Southern Lab is a quality prospect he's about 6-3 maybe 6-4 is a guard so lookout for him if you are in the Baton Rouge area.

Phenom stays humble

By NATHAN WARTERS

Date published: 2/13/2004

Evangel player's attitude counters constant hype

Kendall Marshall's story is about more than just his skill on the basketball court. It's his humble demeanor on and off the hardwood that sets him apart from the rest of his peers.

So when somebody tells him he's the best sixth or seventh-grade basketball player in the country, it doesn't faze him.....

Kendall Marshall

Back