Honda Battle of the Bands (New Location)

co jack

Da 100, you already know....
What in the world???? I know it's early into the new marching season and all, but this news right here is a shocker. I guess as most of you have noticed, Honda BOTB, I guess now, is going to go around to different college campus stadiums. I'm just confused, at what was motive on this. No disrespect to Mama State, because they do have a nice stadium, perhaps the best HBCU stadium of all...frfr. However, why would Honda BOTB move away from a major city (Atlanta) to a small country bumpkin city such as Montgomery, Ala...In addition, why move from Mercedes Benz Stadium with a capacity of 71,500 seats to a college stadium such as Bama State which has a seating capacity of 21,000....major ticket sales ands money will be lost..

Have you seen the line up of schools competing to participate??? I mean, all of the rinky dink small HBCU DIVSION II and DIVISION lll schools are front and center.🤣🤣 Schools I've never heard of or even knew existed, no disrespect though, because I love all my HBCU's...There are no HEAVY HITTERS in the line up.....no FAMU, no Tennessee State, no Southern, no Jackson State, no ALcorn, no AAMU., etc., etc., I guess all the major HBCU's are saying it's not giving at all to attend another HBCU campus at a venue that would be HELLA small...

You got to think about the weather elements, if it cooperates or not. The cold, hopefully it doesn't be rained out, and everything......what are your thoughts about this move of the 2023 Honda BOTB??? 99B229E5-42FD-4711-8E35-429B31AB1BCA.png

This is gonna be the death of Honda and the crowning of the National Battle of the Bands in Houston as the best collegiate band event. This is great for the hosting HBCUs to make extra money but the prestige and excitement of Honda will die down significantly. Atlanta really embracing the Battle of the Bands helped make it that much more special ... things won't be the same in Montgomery

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
This is gonna be the death of Honda and the crowning of the National Battle of the Bands in Houston as the best collegiate band event. This is great for the hosting HBCUs to make extra money but the prestige and excitement of Honda will die down significantly. Atlanta really embracing the Battle of the Bands helped make it that much more special ... things won't be the same in Montgomery
I agree

ASU to host 2023 Honda Battle of the Bands​

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WSFA) - Alabama State University has been selected to host the 2023 Honda Battle of the Bands.

The live showcasing event features marching bands and dance teams from Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs).

The event, previously held in Atlanta, will take place on February 18 in the ASU Stadium. It had been paused since 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Fans are invited to vote for five marching bands that will perform live at the 2023 Invitational showcase alongside the ASU’s Mighty Marching Hornets.

“I am proud of the special relationship Honda has with HBCUs,” said Yvette Hunsicker, vice president of Corporate Social Responsibility and Inclusion & Diversity at American Honda. “Born out of more than three decades of collaboration on programs that support and celebrate the dreams of HBCU students as the next generation of Black leaders, we continue to build on our relationship with HBCUs in new and meaningful ways. In 2023, we will take Honda Battle of the Bands to an HBCU campus and look forward to sharing our inspirational HBCU journey with loyal HBOB fans and society.”

This will mark the first time the event will be held on the campus of an HBCU.

I went to Houston to the National Battle of the bands… the atmosphere was BORING…. The Houston culture just isnt a “turnt” as the Atlanta Culture is….. SOMETHING else has to pop off in Atlanta if not Honda… This was no knock on Houston but Atlanta culture is just different… as much as I dont like the Hawks or Falcons… their games make every other professional league game I’ve ever been to seem boring. Its like you are at a club and a game just so happens to be going on lol

I went to Houston to the National Battle of the bands… the atmosphere was BORING…. The Houston culture just isnt a “turnt” as the Atlanta Culture is….. SOMETHING else has to pop off in Atlanta if not Honda… This was no knock on Houston but Atlanta culture is just different… as much as I dont like the Hawks or Falcons… their games make every other professional league game I’ve ever been to seem boring. Its like you are at a club and a game just so happens to be going on lol
I agree, Houston can be lit just like any major city but it will never reach ATL type of lit. Also, you have ppl from all around the world comin to ATL all the time to party/socialize, nobody is really doing that with Houston too much. Also Houston is so got damn big it's hard to feel a collective vibe and energy you can more easily find in Atlanta which is much smaller and dense. Also you normally have to drive farther between hot spots unlike in ATL

There's a smaller spring collegiate HBCU band in event but it's in an Atlanta suburb. Honda was downtown in the middle of everything so the energy was more lit ... hopefully this ASU thing is experimental.

I'm not gonna lie it did look fun on social media but I know social media don't always tell the full story. They actually broke the attendance record with over 50K.

I agree, Houston can be lit just like any major city but it will never reach ATL type of lit. Also, you have ppl from all around the world comin to ATL all the time to party/socialize, nobody is really doing that with Houston too much. Also Houston is so got damn big it's hard to feel a collective vibe and energy you can more easily find in Atlanta which is much smaller and dense. Also you normally have to drive farther between hot spots unlike in ATL

There's a smaller spring collegiate HBCU band in event but it's in an Atlanta suburb. Honda was downtown in the middle of everything so the energy was more lit ... hopefully this ASU thing is experimental.
Dont get me wrong I had a great time in Houston…. Also enjoyed my first time on Texas So campus that Friday night… its just something about being in a city full of “my people” where the city embraces the Black culture.

Dont get me wrong I had a great time in Houston…. Also enjoyed my first time on Texas So campus that Friday night… its just something about being in a city full of “my people” where the city embraces the Black culture.
I 100% understand and agree with you. Atlanta embraces black culture moreso than Houston ... that's not up for debate. Even though I hate what most of mainstream black culture has become, I still feel the most comfortable in heavily black areas.

A lot of bands took their name off the ballets too because of how hectic it is but the list isnt complete yet more bands will be added and don’t dog small bands they need a chance to get known also we are hbcus stop being ignorant to these smaller bands

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Weather is going to be the deciding factor for most people. I will definitely wait on clips for this one. There's no way I'm sitting in the cold for this.

This is the damn truth!!! Every Falcons and Hawks game I go to, it’s like the game is just background noise while we get to eat & drink good & enjoy the eye candy. I pay more attention to the Hawks cause that’s my favorite sport, but the females be out and about way more at falcons games. I’ve seen so many single older women looking good as hell in falcons gear and they are just there to party. It’s amazing

Alot of these smaller bands need the funding and support more tham the larger counterparts. ALL means ALL HBCUs. The smaller institutions needs a payday too.

Plus putting the event on a college campus will bring more money to the hosting college. I'm not saying that Honda shouldn't go back to Atlanta but there are areas that need exposure to HBCU schools. Places that used to have large black high school bands that fed into colleges, but have now become a shell... they need help.

I look at this as a long term oppertunity.

Alot of these smaller bands need the funding and support more tham the larger counterparts. ALL means ALL HBCUs. The smaller institutions needs a payday too.

Plus putting the event on a college campus will bring more money to the hosting college. I'm not saying that Honda shouldn't go back to Atlanta but there are areas that need exposure to HBCU schools. Places that used to have large black high school bands that fed into colleges, but have now become a shell... they need help.

I look at this as a long term oppertunity.
Damn!!!! I haven't seen this name in a few years. Talking about a blast from the past.

All (6) bands will get $50k and all expense paid trip. They’re setting things up on ASU campus bigtime for this event. There’s a 0% chance of rain but it will be around 57*-59* degrees, halftime show, ticket stubs get you into the ASU-FAMU basketball games and a big Mardi Gras event will be going on in Downtown Mtgy from 4pm cst-8pm cst. It’s a win-win situation for ASU and Montgomery. Remember no one said Mtgy would be a yearly deal, but they’re taking full advantage of it and everyone love the campus. All of the suites at ASU stadium are sold out for this event.

And for the record “A new era in Alabama State University football began on Thanksgiving Day 2012 with the official opening of The New ASU Stadium, a 26,500- seat on-campus facility which now serves as the new home for Hornet Football.”

Back