Home Gardening 2016

BlueBengal07

With spring practically days away, do you have any idea what you're planting(eatable) in your home gardens?

- I have strawberries coming back for year 5
- Kale and cabbage coming back(but plan to plant more). I have these in my front yard, incorporated into landscaping.
- Tomato plants will be re-potted/or back into the ground like prior years.
- Plan to build a few(2) elevated gardens to support herbs, peppers, etc.
- Thinking about a raised bed for rooters like potatoes, onions, maybe peanuts. (or a deep elevated)

I am doing tomatoes, Bell peppers, cucumbers, sweet potatoes, kale and squash again this year. My watermelons didn't turn out good. The rabbits got what was left. Lol

With spring practically days away, do you have any idea what you're planting(eatable) in your home gardens?

- Kale and cabbage coming back(but plan to plant more). I have these in my front yard, incorporated into landscaping.
- Thinking about a raised bed for rooters like potatoes, onions, maybe peanuts. (or a deep elevated)

If you like tomatoes, there should be noted reason to buy them during growing season, they are easy to grow, if you are not having a drought.

I grow herbs and various peppers.

We have a family garden behind our mother's house (2-3 people on average growing different stuff). I'm actually trying to grow tomatoes from seed this year for the first time and they're still a couple of weeks away before they can go into the ground. This little cold snap forced me to bring em back in the house for a couple of days. I'm also trying watermelons once again (no one has any success with those).

Also got a few apple trees I grew from seeds a few years ago that made fruit last year but weren't that big (typical for first year of bearing). Hopefully this year they make better fruit.

I was thinking about planting some tomatoes. Is now the best time to do it?

And when is it beneficial to have an elevated garden?

I am doing tomatoes, Bell peppers, cucumbers, sweet potatoes, kale and squash again this year. My watermelons didn't turn out good. The rabbits got what was left. Lol
Rabbits eat watermelons, too? I have a real problem with rabbits in my neighborhood. I do have armadillos and foxes that occasinally wander into my yard. And my next door neighbor had what has been confirmed as coyote dung in his back yard. Would any of these be a threat to a garden if I had one?

I don't grow shat but my country azz grew up on a farm. If I lived down south, it would be on.

If I did a garden up here, I would just end up giving most of it away anyway.

Rabbits eat watermelons, too? I have a real problem with rabbits in my neighborhood. I do have armadillos and foxes that occasinally wander into my yard. And my next door neighbor had what has been confirmed as coyote dung in his back yard. Would any of these be a threat to a garden if I had one?

All I knew was NOT to give watermelon to the chickens.. LOL
The rabbits I raised couldn't eat anything but those food pellets. If we gave them lettuce and carrots, they didn't live long. Never tried watermelon but I can't see them eating that.

All I knew was NOT to give watermelon to the chickens.. LOL
The rabbits I raised couldn't eat anything but those food pellets. If we gave them lettuce and carrots, they didn't live long. Never tried watermelon but I can't see them eating that.
Wild rabbits might eat them.

What happens if you give a watermelon to a chicken?

Rabbits will get into a garden real quick. Lol go to home depot or Lowe's and get this spray that keeps them off. It's a organic spray that has a pepper smell to it. They don't like hot stuff. Lol

I was thinking about planting some tomatoes. Is now the best time to do it?

And when is it beneficial to have an elevated garden?

- time to grow depends on your location. for me it's a still pretty cold at night here in Michigan for me to plant certain plants but i could start kale, cabbage and others.

elevates garden would help with wild creatures like rabbits, possums, etc ( i believe), but the reason is for my wife. it's hard for here to get down to the ground level to garden right now, so an elevated will help her from bending down and allow her garden standing up.

the provided youtube is a stupid simple elevated garden. i will use this as a baseline to develop mine to meet my needs.

I decided to go ahead and put watermelons in the ground today before the potential rain that is supposed to fall here the next few days. Started them in trays and then moved them to the garden. Might do another round and have them in the ground before Memorial Day so that they can be harvested before the fall

I did some watermelons last year and couldn't get them to grow right. Lol

I decided to go ahead and put watermelons in the ground today before the potential rain that is supposed to fall here the next few days. Started them in trays and then moved them to the garden. Might do another round and have them in the ground before Memorial Day so that they can be harvested before the fall

I planted my garden today. I did sweet potatoes, zucchini, broccoli, tomatoes, Bell peppers, hot peppers, cabbage, onions and jalapeños.

I am doing my first garden ever this year. I am a little lost.
I took the easy way out the last two years. I went to Home Depot and Lowes and bought the plants and put them in the ground. lol It cost a little more but it saves me time and its quicker.

I took the easy way out the last two years. I went to Home Depot and Lowes and bought the plants and put them in the ground. lol It cost a little more but it saves me time and its quicker.
Lol. I bought seeds. Pray for this struggle garden. lol.

Birds and squirrels ate/pulled up most of the ones that survived the rain from last week. Luckily I got another batch that will be ready to go in the ground in another week.

I probably will order and plant one more batch of orange watermelon seeds and call it a year

How did you folks gardens turn out this year? Huntsville has been in a drought in the part of the county I live in. My garden has struggled. I water it daily but that doesn't seem to he enough. I got a couple of squash to grow, but not many. My cucumbers did great. My tomatoes struggled, my peppers did ok. Sweet potatoes just got big enough to pick. All of my cabbage died. My broccoli didn't do jack either. Oh well gotta get ready for the next year. I might do some greens this fall.

I had a good thing going last summer and the summer before with my kids. Together we planted lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, and carrots. At first they were doing well with the upkeep. My son got kinda lazy. Nevertheless, it was when I saw little holes deep down that I told them to abandon this and keep away from the backyard. I could tell that something was in those holes but I did not want to find out. It was orange and black looking. You see my family is only scared of two kinds of snakes and that is poisonous and nonpoisonous. Our home is in a cove directly across the street from a lake. Directly behind our backyard is land that used to hold horses, goats, cows, but is now just overgrown with tall grass. You think I'm going to take a chance? No...

Then I discovered last fall that there is a mole in my yard. I don't know how to get rid off it. Even got rabbits, frogs, and one smart raccoon hanging around. Now I still love growing your on veggies and what not so I am currently looking into growing an elevated garden cause brother simply aint trying to find a snake or anything else by accident.

Last edited:
I feel you about those snakes.lol I get the heck headed when I see one. I have a code with God. I don't kill anything from the land or take more then what I need except for snakes and spiders. I told him in that pact I kill them on site. Lol I see them even when I cutting grass on my zero turn and still go the opposite way. Lol

I had a good thing going last summer and the summer before with my kids. Together we planted lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, and carrots. At first they were doing well with the upkeep. My son got kinda lazy. Nevertheless, it was when I saw little holes deep down that I told them to abandon this and keep away from the backyard. I could tell that something was in those holes but I did not want to find out. It was orange and black looking. You see my family is only scared of two kinds of snakes and that is poisonous and nonpoisonous. Our home is in a cove directly across the street from a lake. Directly behind our backyard is land that used to hold horses, goats, cows, but is now just overgrown with tall grass. You think I'm going to take a chance? No...

Then I discovered last fall that there is a mole in my yard. I don't know how to get rid off it. Even got rabbits, frogs, and one smart raccoon hanging around. Now I still love growing your on veggies and what not so I am currently looking into growing an elevated garden cause brother simply aint trying to find a snake or anything else by accident.

Back