Holy Spirit in matters of Church Discipline - 1 Corinthians 5

illinijag

Called to Serve
Disclaimer: This message is only to those who believe in the one and only true God, the God who provided the Saviour (Jesus Christ).

In 1st Corinthians chapter 5 we encounter clear Biblical teaching concerning Church discipline. Supplemented with other passages within the reveal will of God such as
Matthew 18:15-17, 1 Timothy 5:19-20 and Galatians 2:11-14, our course and means for Church discipline is complete as promised by scripture:

2 Timothy 3:16-17. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

If we choose to follow this course or not, do not change the fact that this is God’s reveal will put forth for Church discipline. To not act in the manner for which God has demanded does not imply that one is doom to eternal damnation; for salvation is not determine by the works of man. However, inaction may undermine the sanctity of a local Church body to the point where such may be rendered powerless to convict those within and without. Sins that remain unchecked become a common law of acceptance which eventually causes most to despise God’s true law.

To pray for guidance from the Holy Spirit is prudent in all matters including matters requiring Church discipline. However, no assumed hearing or guidance from the Holy Spirit will contradict the written word of God; for the Holy Spirit is the author of God’s word and HE will not contradict what HE has written.

2 Peter 1:21. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Thus, if we conclude not to act as God had instructed us to act, let us Not conclude that we have acted in responds to the hearing or guidance of the Holy Spirit. To act in a righteous manner, as revealed through God’s will, is not defined by what feels good or what consequences may follow; for most acts against that which is evil has a cost which is clearly stated and warned in scripture.

1 Peter 4:12-13. Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.

2 Timothy 3:12. Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

Luke 14:27-30. And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it? Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him, Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish.

1st Corinthians chapter 5 renders most in the Body of Christ guilty of inaction. If we continue not to act as stated in scripture let us NOT say the Holy Spirit did not lead us do so; let us rather acknowledge our sin of inaction and pray for strength (if such is God’s will) to overcome such. Biblical history has shown that often when man (even God’s chosen people) consistently disobey certain commands, God will leave it as a snare.

Judges 2: 2-3. And ye shall make no league with the inhabitants of this land; ye shall throw down their altars: but ye have not obeyed my voice: why have ye done this? Wherefore I also said, I will not drive them out from before you; but they shall be as thorns in your sides, and their gods shall be a snare unto you.

Numbers 33:55 But if ye will not drive out the inhabitants of the land from before you; then it shall come to pass, that those which ye let remain of them shall be pricks in your eyes, and thorns in your sides, and shall vex you in the land wherein ye dwell.

Example of man following feelings (his own righteousness) and not the Holy Spirit:

The Holy Spirit spoke to Jonah to preach repentance to the people of Nineveh (Jonah 1); however, Jonah felt bad about the possibility of God moving Israel’s enemies toward repentance. Such is a clear indication that the Holy Spirit demands are not always consistent with ones feelings or personal desires.

In Summary, the Holy Spirit in matters of discernment and righteousness never works apart from or in contradiction to Scripture; Holy Spirit Never have and Never will. The Holy Spirit reveals truth as stated in Scripture:

John 14:26. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Good Day and God Bless

Disclaimer: This message is only to those who believe in the one and only true God, the God who provided the Saviour (Jesus Christ).

I concur. I just wonder what prompted this very fine treatise.

Your curiosity is warranted. This post, with minor modifications, is actually an email to the Men’s Class I attend. My diatribe is not in reference to an immediate problem at hand for this (for the most part) is a traditional failure of most Christians (myself included).

However, as Christians we must first acknowledge our failings in view of clear scriptural teaching and not look for means to accept or justify our inaction. The Truth is the Truth regardless of our adherence for we all are at best, sinners (not yet glorified) saved by Grace.

We cannot do all that is right even if such is what we would like to do:

• Romans 7:14. For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
  • Romans 7:19-20. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
  • Galatians 5:17. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
  • Matthew 26:41. Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

However, there is an eternal solution to this matter, we only need to concede our part.

Our concession:
  • Romans 7:24. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

Eternal Solution: J-E-S-U-S:clap:

Good Day and God Bless

However, as Christians we must first acknowledge our failings in view of clear scriptural teaching and not look for means to accept or justify our inaction. The Truth is the Truth regardless of our adherence for we all are at best, sinners (not yet glorified) saved by Grace

Church discipline, is commanded by God. The violators of this command are the preachers. Its interesting how preachers can preach about people going to hell for violating God's word, but never preach about themselves going to hell about not practicing Church discipline as commanded by God.

A few years ago, the church I attend the preacher told me that I was going to hell, because I was not doing certain things. My reply was "I will meet you there, because you violates the word of God every Sunday, for telling members that they are going to hell, when you are not their judge." and when you place your family over most of the programs in the church, when the bible clearly prohibits favoritism" James 2

When you place yourself above others - Romans 12

Judging other - Matthew 7

This may be a hard pill to swallow - Most individuals are not guided by the Holy Spirit of God, the proof is our behavior toward others. Consider the following scriptures;

James 2:9 But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors.
Acts 10:34 So Peter opened his mouth and said: “Truly I understand that God shows no partiality,
Romans 2:11 For God shows no partiality.

1 John 4:20

Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.

Luke 6"31 - Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Question: If I treat myself right, why cant I treat others right. If I love myself, why can't I love others. If I cannot treat others right, I cannot treat myself right, and that's true - because we cheat ourselves in all aspect of our life.

Maybe this is why I do not preach or teach anymore - :D

Back