Hip Hop Hoodios Cook

Jam Piper Jam

Truth Seeker
Hip Hop Hoodios Cook
Latino-Jewish Group Stirring Up Melting Pot

By Teresa Wiltz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, June 11, 2005; Page C01

NEW YORK -- The Hip Hop Hoodios are rolling up Fifth Avenue, representing la raza at the Salute to Israel parade, blasting the bass, bouncing around their float and confusing everyone in their path. A dozen or so preschoolers on the float toss foam footballs into the crowd while Abe Velez grinds on guitar and Alanna "Alannanagila" Perez writhes around the tight space, shaking her tail feather. On the mike is Josh Norek, the "psycho-Semitic manic Hispanic," 5 feet 8 of bombast and braggadocio.

"We're the Hip Hop Hoodios! We're a Latino-Jewish rap collective!" Norek yells as they roll past a man holding a sign that read, "Expel the Nazi Arabs Not the Jews."

"With Jewish rap, there is a lot of kitsch, a lot of novelty," says Josh Norek, left, with band mates Alanna "Alannanagila" Perez and Abraham Velez. (By Helayne Seidman For The Washington Post)

"This goes out to all those Hoodia Honeys! No Nose Jobs!"

See for me the bigger the nose the better

They say the whiter the brighter

Oh yeah? Well, that's tough

Sometimes I think that I'm not Yid enough

The Hoodios -- the name is a play on " jud?o ," the Spanish word for Jew -- are a little bit klezmer, a little bit cumbia , and a lot hip-hop, rapping in Spanish, English, Hebrew and Ladino, gleefully mixing genres and tumbling over easy ethnic categorizations.

For the Hoodios, being Latino is a fluid thing. This is both convenient -- Norek has some vague family ties in Colombia -- and literal -- Velez is of Eastern European and Puerto Rican descent. The Jewish thing is fluid, too. A third member, Federico Fong, is a dreadlocked Chinese-Panamanian-Jamaican-white Arkansan who identifies as Mexican. His Jewish connection? His sister worked in a deli on Second Avenue.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...5061002171.html?referrer=email&referrer=email

:lmao: :lmao:

Back