Hero Sports: NC A&T is Loaded Again

westcoastaggie

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2018-preseason-preview-north-carolina-at-ajaj

I wonder if TP agrees? Hmm...

giphy.gif

I have no idea what A&T will do. All I know is you lost your HC and your OC. However, A&T was a very dominant squad last year so even a little drop off shouldnt hurt.

I just wouldnt expect you to be as good as you were last year but who knows?

I want to know how well equipped are the coaches. A&T had a hell of coach in Broadway...that's a hard act to follow.

There is no way in hell I would have turned that program over to someone who has never been a head coach before.

A&T should have hired Maynor or went after Jerry Mack.

I want to know how well equipped are the coaches. A&T had a hell of coach in Broadway...that's a hard act to follow.

The new coach was on staff and the DC for 7 years. I guess we will find out real soon how well he learned or if the rumor mill is correct about how good he is.

The new coach was on staff and the DC for 7 years. I guess we will find out real soon how well he learned or if the rumor mill is correct about how good he is.

And the DC at Grambling under Broadway for another 3-4 seasons. He did his best to keep the entire staff in tact. We did lose the OC, but we promoted the QB Coach to OC/Passing Game coordinator with the RB Coach as the Running Game Coordinator. So, it's the same scheme essentially as they had these tasks unofficially under our previous OC.

Coach Broadway essentially used the last two season to prepare the staff for this moment. In fact, Coach Broadway stopped wearing a headset during games.

I have to commend Broadway for not being greedy and passing the torch with grace. A lot of coaches and people in general dont seem to like the idea of grooming and leaving behind a legacy. Look at Pough for example. He is basically being forced into retirement and had to hire a whole new staff of assistants for 1 season and no guarantees after the season is over. He could have identified a suitable replacement, groomed him and possibly moved to AD.

I have to commend Broadway for not being greedy and passing the torch with grace. A lot of coaches and people in general dont seem to like the idea of grooming and leaving behind a legacy. Look at Pough for example. He is basically being forced into retirement and had to hire a whole new staff of assistants for 1 season and no guarantees after the season is over. He could have identified a suitable replacement, groomed him and possibly moved to AD.

We appreciate him sending one of his coaches our way lol

I don't understand how people are concerned about the Aggie staff when Sam has been the AHC for a couple of years getting him ready for this.

Another Valley alum (Vincent Brown) is in a similar spot at Howard in case London gets snatched up by a FBS school if Howard does well as expected this year

We appreciate him sending one of his coaches our way lol

I don't understand how people are concerned about the Aggie staff when Sam has been the AHC for a couple of years getting him ready for this.

Another Valley alum (Vincent Brown) is in a similar spot at Howard in case London gets snatched up by a FBS school if Howard does well as expected this year

You just never know how a guy will lead and run a program until he is given the keys. In most cases I favor a hand over. But A&T was just way too good to risk it all on a guy thats in the drivers seat for the first time. It will probably work out just fine for A&T because they are loaded.

There is no way in hell I would have turned that program over to someone who has never been a head coach before.

A&T should have hired Maynor or went after Jerry Mack.

Mack wasnt coming and Maynor has shown that he can't win at a D1 school.

A&T was smart in this case and i will use JSU as an example. When you have a problem with something, you FIX it. JSU has failed to do that and we suffer for it. As for A&T, they didnt want to get rid of the staff. The HC retired. So why mess up what you have? A&T was left with their OC and DC. Why mess that up? The OC has since left but even with that they promoted from within. When Hopson left Alcorn, what did Alcorn do? Promote from within and tried to keep the same or similar systems in place. JSU would NOT be in the position we are in now if we had fixed what we had. In 2002, we fired Hughes instead of fixing the problem and we ended up with Bell. The only other option would have been to hire Comegy but our AD didnt want Comegy. Then we fired Comegy instead of fixing the problem and we ended up with OMJ and Hughes Jr.

AAMU has never been in such a position so you are not qualified to comment. Look at what Southern did. Rather than promote from within with Pete's staff, they ended up with Stump. Trust me! A&T played this correctly!

You just never know how a guy will lead and run a program until he is given the keys. In most cases I favor a hand over. But A&T was just way too good to risk it all on a guy thats in the drivers seat for the first time. It will probably work out just fine for A&T because they are loaded.

That's the same for a lot of coaching situations (good or bad). Sometimes it works (Fobbs at Grambling). Sometimes it don't (Hughes).

Sam was an integral part of why A&T has been good the past 3 years so it's different than handing it over to the hot young coordinator. Sam might also be bridging the gap (he's 57) for a few years anyway.

That's the same for a lot of coaching situations (good or bad). Sometimes it works (Fobbs at Grambling). Sometimes it don't (Hughes).

Sam was an integral part of why A&T has been good the past 3 years so it's different than handing it over to the hot young coordinator. Sam might also be bridging the gap (he's 57) for a few years anyway.

What if Spady replaced Broadway at Grambling? He was an integral part right? Or was Broadway just that good of a leader to make his assistants look ready for leadership?

All I will say is A&T it’s hard to go back to back... central might sneak y’all if the focus isn’t matched with the talent that is returning champs..

Back