Here we go again! Some more young fools run amok!

AAMU Alum

I guess some of my dumbassed frat brothers (if they can be called that,) decided that the Kappas shouldn't get all the hazing press. :smh:

Like I said folks....I give the college greeks another 5 years to exist...maybe even less!! :mad:

OSU frat hazing charges expected
By PATTI WEAVER World Correspondent
3/6/2007

View in Print (PDF) Format

STILLWATER -- A prosecutor said Monday he expects to file hazing charges against as many as six members of the Oklahoma State University chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity amid allegations that members beat pledges.

One pledge was beaten so badly that he went to an emergency room and was later advised by medical personnel to have a consultation with a plastic surgeon, police said.

The OSU chapter has been shut down by its national organization.

"When you have a young man hazed to the extent that he's going to have to have plastic surgery, that's crossing the line," District Attorney Rob Hudson said.

"I've been DA for more than a decade -- this is the first time we've been presented a charge of this type, hazing involving a fraternity," Hudson said.

The prosecutor said his office received a report on Friday from the Stillwater Police Department on allegations that several pledges of Alpha Phi Alpha had been hazed by being hit with wooden paddles.

Stillwater Police Lt. Mike Metcalf said that the parents of the most severely injured pledge contacted police on Feb. 15.

Their son's injuries "include abrasions to both elbows, contusions to the chest and back, and the loss of all skin layers in an approximately two-inch diameter area of the buttock," Detective Greg Miller wrote in a search warrant affidavit to take photographs of other pledges' bodies.

The severely injured pledge, who is from Tulsa , went to the Stillwater Medical Center 's emergency room on Feb. 13 for treatment, Metcalf said. The pledge said "he was told by fra ternity members to lie to the doctors about how he got the injury," Metcalf said. "It was a bad injury," he said.

The next day, the pledge went to the OSU Health Center in Stillwater for a bandage change and was told he needed to have a consultation with a plastic surgeon, Metcalf said. That's when he told his parents what had been happening, Metcalf said.

The pledge reportedly told police that from Jan. 22 to Feb. 10, he attended "set" meetings, held five or six nights a week, at which pledges received physical "punishment" for failure to recall information about the fraternity, the affidavit said. He also took the "punishment" for another pledge who had "some kind of medical condition and couldn't take these paddlings," Metcalf said.

Police -- who weren't sure if the alleged victims in the case would be cooperative -- obtained search warrants to take photographs of the four other pledges to document suspected injuries, Metcalf said.

One had no clearly identifiable injury, Metcalf said. "The others had different stages of healing -- or you could see the outline of the paddles on their skin, mostly their buttocks," Metcalf said.

"A couple would take strikes on their abdomen and chest, but they wouldn't be hit as hard," Metcalf said the pledges told police.

All of the alleged hazing took place off campus, Metcalf said.

Metcalf said Alpha Phi Alpha, which he's been told had just six members and five pledges at OSU, did not have a fraternity house.

Metcalf said some pledges "got six or seven swats each time," during the meetings.

Ten wooden paddles of varying sizes were seized on a search warrant from a fraternity member's apartment, where many of the "set" meetings were allegedly held, according to a search warrant.

"This is a very serious matter involving allegations of student actions that are strictly prohibited and will not be tolerated at Oklahoma State University ," OSU spokesman Gary Shutt said in a statement.

"We are addressing the incident through our student conduct committee, while cooperating fully with local law enforcement authorities. Regard ing the status of the fraternity, the national fraternity organization issued a 'cease and desist' order for the local chapter. Since the local chapter is no longer functioning, OSU will await a ruling from the national organization before taking action against the fraternity," Shutt said.

In an interview Monday, Shutt said that a student conduct panel, comprised of two faculty members, two students and a staff member, this week "will hear the case and make a recommendation on disciplinary action as far as their status as students."

Shutt said that recommendation would be forwarded to Lee Bird, vice president of student affairs.

Shutt said the fraternity members allegedly involved "have been attending classes, but they are not allowed to take part in other activities." No action has been taken against the alleged victims, Shutt said.

Hazing, and assault and battery -- both misdemeanors -- carry a possible 90-day jail term on conviction, Hudson said.

"Society has made a decision not to tolerate physical hazing," he said.

I guess some of my dumbassed frat brothers (if they can be called that,) decided that the Kappas shouldn't get all the hazing press. :smh:

Like I said folks....I give the college greeks another 5 years to exist...maybe even less!! :mad:

OSU frat hazing charges expected
By PATTI WEAVER World Correspondent
3/6/2007

View in Print (PDF) Format

STILLWATER -- A prosecutor said Monday he expects to file hazing charges against as many as six members of the Oklahoma State University chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity amid allegations that members beat pledges.

One pledge was beaten so badly that he went to an emergency room and was later advised by medical personnel to have a consultation with a plastic surgeon, police said.

The OSU chapter has been shut down by its national organization.

"When you have a young man hazed to the extent that he's going to have to have plastic surgery, that's crossing the line," District Attorney Rob Hudson said.

"I've been DA for more than a decade -- this is the first time we've been presented a charge of this type, hazing involving a fraternity," Hudson said.

The prosecutor said his office received a report on Friday from the Stillwater Police Department on allegations that several pledges of Alpha Phi Alpha had been hazed by being hit with wooden paddles.

Stillwater Police Lt. Mike Metcalf said that the parents of the most severely injured pledge contacted police on Feb. 15.

Their son's injuries "include abrasions to both elbows, contusions to the chest and back, and the loss of all skin layers in an approximately two-inch diameter area of the buttock," Detective Greg Miller wrote in a search warrant affidavit to take photographs of other pledges' bodies.

The severely injured pledge, who is from Tulsa , went to the Stillwater Medical Center 's emergency room on Feb. 13 for treatment, Metcalf said. The pledge said "he was told by fra ternity members to lie to the doctors about how he got the injury," Metcalf said. "It was a bad injury," he said.

The next day, the pledge went to the OSU Health Center in Stillwater for a bandage change and was told he needed to have a consultation with a plastic surgeon, Metcalf said. That's when he told his parents what had been happening, Metcalf said.

The pledge reportedly told police that from Jan. 22 to Feb. 10, he attended "set" meetings, held five or six nights a week, at which pledges received physical "punishment" for failure to recall information about the fraternity, the affidavit said. He also took the "punishment" for another pledge who had "some kind of medical condition and couldn't take these paddlings," Metcalf said.

Police -- who weren't sure if the alleged victims in the case would be cooperative -- obtained search warrants to take photographs of the four other pledges to document suspected injuries, Metcalf said.

One had no clearly identifiable injury, Metcalf said. "The others had different stages of healing -- or you could see the outline of the paddles on their skin, mostly their buttocks," Metcalf said.

"A couple would take strikes on their abdomen and chest, but they wouldn't be hit as hard," Metcalf said the pledges told police.

All of the alleged hazing took place off campus, Metcalf said.

Metcalf said Alpha Phi Alpha, which he's been told had just six members and five pledges at OSU, did not have a fraternity house.

Metcalf said some pledges "got six or seven swats each time," during the meetings.

Ten wooden paddles of varying sizes were seized on a search warrant from a fraternity member's apartment, where many of the "set" meetings were allegedly held, according to a search warrant.

"This is a very serious matter involving allegations of student actions that are strictly prohibited and will not be tolerated at Oklahoma State University ," OSU spokesman Gary Shutt said in a statement.

"We are addressing the incident through our student conduct committee, while cooperating fully with local law enforcement authorities. Regard ing the status of the fraternity, the national fraternity organization issued a 'cease and desist' order for the local chapter. Since the local chapter is no longer functioning, OSU will await a ruling from the national organization before taking action against the fraternity," Shutt said.

In an interview Monday, Shutt said that a student conduct panel, comprised of two faculty members, two students and a staff member, this week "will hear the case and make a recommendation on disciplinary action as far as their status as students."

Shutt said that recommendation would be forwarded to Lee Bird, vice president of student affairs.

Shutt said the fraternity members allegedly involved "have been attending classes, but they are not allowed to take part in other activities." No action has been taken against the alleged victims, Shutt said.

Hazing, and assault and battery -- both misdemeanors -- carry a possible 90-day jail term on conviction, Hudson said.

"Society has made a decision not to tolerate physical hazing," he said.

I know someone that is in that Chapter at OSU. Wow! I need to contact that brother ASAP.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
You all are missing one major key!!!!

I don't know about other sororities or fraternities but the victim has to maintain some responsibility. In KAPSI we have members sign a document stating that they will not participate in any hazing. Now if go over to someones home and you are #2 and see your ACE get hit. Why don't you leave?

See I often wonder this because at what level does your own thinking kick in?

Also there is a difference in Pledging and Hazing. The problem is half these young people coming in to or fraternities and sororities have no sense of who they are; and are trying to gauge an identity utilizing or fraternities and sororities.

From one chapter's craziness? It could happen...

Praying for the kid and the organization.

Back in Spring2001 semester I was going through the Intake process, something happened at Prarie View and they froze all intake. We had started in Jan and the next month they stopped everything. I wasn't until after the Tulsa Regional Convention that was held in March, they let the intake process resume.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
You all are missing one major key!!!!

I don't know about other sororities or fraternities but the victim has to maintain some responsibility. In KAPSI we have members sign a document stating that they will not participate in any hazing. Now if go over to someones home and you are #2 and see your ACE get hit. Why don't you leave?

See I often wonder this because at what level does your own thinking kick in?

Also there is a difference in Pledging and Hazing. The problem is half these young people coming in to or fraternities and sororities have no sense of who they are; and are trying to gauge an identity utilizing or fraternities and sororities.

DSN,

I knew that someone would eventually make that argument, and I do grant you that the aspirant has some responsibility as well. However, let me interject this.....why do that aspirants (who choose to subject themselves to this kind of thing) do so? I'll tell you why....it's because they are told that they will be "paper," "weak" "not a real frat/soror," if they don't allow the members to kick their asses from sun-up to sundown! I know that, and so do you! You (not YOU specifically) "bait" them into these situations by convincing them that they will not be respected, then you beat the hell out of them, then you blame them when their injuries require medical attention.

Tell me now, what is the difference in that and what a kid might go through to be initiated into the Crips or Bloods? :smh: :smh:

We won't last another 5 years with fools destroying us from the INSIDE out!! Po us!! :smh:

DSN,

I knew that someone would eventually make that argument, and I do grant you that the aspirant has some responsibility as well. However, let me interject this.....why do that aspirants (who choose to subject themselves to this kind of thing) do so? I'll tell you why....it's because they are told that they will be "paper," "weak" "not a real frat/soror," if they don't allow the members to kick their asses from sun-up to sundown! I know that, and so do you! You (not YOU specifically) "bait" them into these situations by convincing them that they will not be respected, then you beat the hell out of them, then you blame them when their injuries require medical attention.

Tell me now, what is the difference in that and what a kid might go through to be initiated into the Crips or Bloods? :smh: :smh:

We won't last another 5 years with fools destroying us from the INSIDE out!! Po us!! :smh:

So I guess if I tell you that your not a real brother or real (whatever) and I'm not going to be your friend or respect you unless you kill someone does that make your ***** do it. I mean I'm not saying that it's right and I'm not condoning it but I still think that everyone is at fault, no granted I got too much love for the phrat and my chapter to allow something like this to happen and jepardize everything so in that regards I hold more of a personal grudge against the situation. Now I was going through the "intake process when a situation happened at SMU and our process never stopped.

So I guess if I tell you that your not a real brother or real (whatever) and I'm not going to be your friend or respect you unless you kill someone does that make your ***** do it. .

It obviously IS making some do it! I didn't say the aspirant has no responsibility, but get real.....I doubt if too many are going to approach a member and say "I'm here, come on and kick my @ss!"

What matters here is what the judge believes when these folks go to court, and that whiny defense of "what about them, they allowed it," ain't holdin' up too good!

It obviously IS making some do it! I didn't say the aspirant has no responsibility, but get real.....I doubt if too many are going to approach a member and say "I'm here, come on and kick my @ss!"

What matters here is what the judge believes when these folks go to court, and that whiny defense of "what about them, they allowed it," ain't holdin' up too good!
Don't doubt it cause there are people that will come and be like I want to be a member and I want it the "right way". And everyone knows that what the judge and jury thinks is what really matters, but I'm not speaking as a member of either of them, just discussing the matter as the everyone else on the board is which is My Opinion.

As I have said before and I will continue to say. If we remove the undergraduate process, then we should all disband and no longer exist, because we will no longer be serving one of our fundamental purposes. I do understand the frustration of many of the older greeks with what goes on in some UG chapters. But I will never support the removal of UG's from the intake of new members into our organizations. When we stop telling stories of how it was in our day, stop explaining how grand our process was, stop speaking to the history of our illustrious organizations, stop telling young bros how it was for us to cross the burning sands in our orgs, then maybe you will have a chance to halt some of the undeground activities that take place.

You can not glorify certain aspects of the organizaton, yet tell today's candidates that they do not deserve the same opportunity to bond with their line brothers and have a common bond with members of yesteryear.

If you have ever told a pledge story, ever told of the bond you hold with your LBs/LSs, ever talked about how long you were on line, etc. Then you are just as guilty of continuing the practice that many have set out to remove. Pledging is not leaving, and until all of us address this issue and do something to be able to control it more, it will continue to be pushed further under, become more secretive, and we will all continue to be embarassed by situations like the one mentioned above and others such as the incident my fraternity has endured at FAMU.

Just one man's opinion forged from Blood, Sweat, and Tears.

Suge,

The undergrads are going to remove THEMSELVES! When it gets to a point where they become more of a liability of the respective organizations than the "lifeblood," they will be dechartered. Alumni initiation will still be intact.

I was initiated in college myself, but if this kind of schit keeps up (Kappa Alpha Psi last month, Alpha Phi Alpha this month,) the college chapter simply will not be worth maintaining....point blank. I'm only being realistic.

Back